A glimpse at Euro demographics.

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend
Here's an interesting set of stats. FIFA 08 has saturated the top 10s of Spain and Germany according to GfK. Not interesting in itself, but what is interesting is the order of console sales. In Spain, FIFA 08 is position 1 in the top 10 on PS2, position 3 on PS3, 8th on PSP and 10th on XB360. In Germany it's no. 1 on PS2, 2nd on PC, 5th on PS3 and 6th on XB360.

I'm assuming there's more XB360s out there than PS3's. Certainly it looks like PS owners are more likely to play football than XB360 owners. Does this show a difference in tastes for the owners of the different machines?

I don't know about other countries, but here in Poland the Xbox 360 was sold with FIFA07 for quote a while. Maybe people don't feel like the need the new version yet?

There may be a difference in demographics but I think a number of xbox 360 owners simply spent their money on Halo 3 instead.

Not very suprising. When I was in Spain this summer there was hardly x360 stuff on the shelves, even ps3 had more. Didnt the ps3 in its launch week also sold more than the x360 had done to that time? Germany is alot more pc biased and along with the fact that besides the UK x360 doesnt seem to do that well in the EU doesnt makes the numbers very suprising for me.

Besides that I wonder if there actually are (a decent amount) more 360 sold more than ps3's I also do think the playstation brand might be connected a bit more to soccer games than the x360. If you watch champions league or UEFA cup you always see a ton of playstation commercials, that probably helps alot to.

Also it would be nice to see some actual numbers of units sold. If you take Japan for example which im sure sells alot more software than germany or spain does, if you look at the list very quickly there is only a couple of K differance between #x and y. I wouldnt be suprised if the actuall amount of units sold is fairly close for x360 and ps3.

Here's an interesting set of stats. FIFA 08 has saturated the top 10s of Spain and Germany according to GfK. Not interesting in itself, but what is interesting is the order of console sales. In Spain, FIFA 08 is position 1 in the top 10 on PS2, position 3 on PS3, 8th on PSP and 10th on XB360. In Germany it's no. 1 on PS2, 2nd on PC, 5th on PS3 and 6th on XB360.

I'm assuming there's more XB360s out there than PS3's. Certainly it looks like PS owners are more likely to play football than XB360 owners. Does this show a difference in tastes for the owners of the different machines?

Knowing the install base would be essential to answer that question. As seen in NCAA and Madden, sales aren't linear to install base. The quality of the title on said platform, competiting software in the genre (PES?) and in general, and what titles on the platform were competing for consumer cash all play a major factor.

I am not sure we can dig much deeper into your question without more info. :( Demographic stuff is fun, too.

I am not sure we can dig much deeper into your question without more info. :( Demographic stuff is fun, too.

That's a big problem with any info we do get from europe, its so rare and far between that when we do get some info we have nothing to compare it with. Also does Spain sell more consoles than Germany, because the last numbers I saw from Germany showed they are pretty pathetic for all consoles (Canada was outselling them by 50% with 40% of the population). So I have to wonder how significant these numbers would be towards the overall EU picture.

Germany is PC land as far as I understand. And that is an issue because certain countries defy territory trends. e.g. The UK and NZ significantly depart from the "Third Territory" console sales trend, both favoring the 360 much more than other countries. So UK/NZ don't represent the Third territory on average, and you could even argue that the Third Territory is skewed by these territories, indicating that other countries (but which ones? who knows!) are a bit closer/further apart than would be indicated at first glance.

Germany is PC land as far as I understand. And that is an issue because certain countries defy territory trends. e.g. The UK and NZ significantly depart from the "Third Territory" console sales trend, both favoring the 360 much more than other countries. So UK/NZ don't represent the Third territory on average, and you could even argue that the Third Territory is skewed by these territories, indicating that other countries (but which ones? who knows!) are a bit closer/further apart than would be indicated at first glance.

Well during launch (and after) PS3 sales were (and still are) pretty good in Germany, compared to other consoles launchs even better (except for Wiis of course :) ). The 360 install base in Germany should still be bigger though.

(Btw. what other Football games are out on the 360 except PES?)

For the UK, i also remember that launch numbers almost reached 360 install base (afair there was some news about that during the PS3 launch period).

Edit: Found the link: http://uk.gizmodo.com/2007/03/28/ps3_breaks_uk_sales_records.html

According to Chart Track, UK shoppers snapped up 165,000 PS3s in just two days. That leaves about 55,000 still up for grabs from the UK’s 220,000 unit allotment

“In the UK 165,000 units were sold through to consumers in the first 48 hours, and that is over £100 million worth of business going through UK retail tills in PS3 hardware, software and peripherals. This not only makes it the most successful games hardware launch, we think it is the most successful consumer launch of a product in the UK.”

Actually we get UK numbers, so we know that the 360 is way ahead of the ps3 there (the 360 install base is 1.4million in the UK), but we also know that the UK isn't entirely representative of the rest of europe.

My fault, sorry i don't know where I've read the word Xbox 360 in that link... might be my eyes...:oops:

Edit2: Ok, so it was about comparing launch numbers where PS3 exceeded that of the 360 :)

Here's the UK Top 5:

FIFA 08
PS2

HALO 3
XB360

FIFA 08
XB360

FIFA 08
PS3

FIFA 08
PSP
www.chart-track.com

Not much of a difference there (places swapped though :) )

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, the only two countries where Halo 3 isn't on top - Germany and Spain - are the only two countries where the two editions of Halo 3 - ordinary and collector's - are listed separately; it's quite possible that if you add them they would beat FIFA, just as in the other countries.

Yeah, it does seem rather limited. It'd be interesting to get see though. And this does show GfK providing information in the EU market that until now has been pretty much silent through the year. Nice to hear something but what Europeans are buying! At least the German chart is accurate in portraying a large PC representation!

Back