A friend with som1366s

Otto Dafe

Regular
So my friend got two bloomfields and ASUS Sabertooth boards. The mem is (3x4GB) G-Skill 1866, should run at 1866, best I can get is 1066. Any thoughts? What's a good rate for this board, and should we update the BIOS?

Last edited by a moderator:
more detail...
why cant you get 1866 do you set it to 1866 test it and find it is 1066 or wont it let you set it to 1866 ?
what are your bios settings

more detail...
why cant you get 1866 do you set it to 1866 test it and find it is 1066 or wont it let you set it to 1866 ?
what are your bios settings

Sorry, I wrote the post after I left their house, The asus board--when set to 1866--says bad overclock, go back to setup. What's the max normal (I mean no O.C.) on an LGA 1366 board? I'll come back w/ relevant BIOS settings, I was burnt out last night building 2 comps, and all the software, and how anal-retentive I am about building friends computers so they don't ruin them immediately

i guess start out at normal speed and see at what point it fails
are you just trying to run the memory faster or are you o/c ing the cpu
if its the former perhaps running the ram at the normal ram speed for your cpu would allow tighter timings
(you need to benchmark to see if its better)
if its the latter and your not changing any sort of cpu/ram divider 1866 is nearly 100% overclock no wonder its failing

ps: found this on wiki (no idea if its true or out of date)
"in early October 2008, reports surfaced that it will not be possible to use "performance" DDR3 DIMMs that require voltages higher than 1.65v, because the integrated memory controller within the Core i7 will be damaged"

i guess start out at normal speed and see at what point it fails
are you just trying to run the memory faster or are you o/c ing the cpu
if its the former perhaps running the ram at the normal ram speed for your cpu would allow tighter timings
(you need to benchmark to see if its better)
if its the latter and your not changing any sort of cpu/ram divider 1866 is nearly 100% overclock no wonder its failing

ps: found this on wiki (no idea if its true or out of date)
"in early October 2008, reports surfaced that it will not be possible to use "performance" DDR3 DIMMs that require voltages higher than 1.65v, because the integrated memory controller within the Core i7 will be damaged"

This is my thinking exactly. No, don't want to O/C, just want good performance / fidelity. It's pretty damn fast at 1066, but the ram is rated to 1866. Basically, I feel a little embarrassed because my 850's running ram at 1600. Still you're right, need a little more data on the men/timings. Do you have a link Dav, I don't want to fry all his shit, But no, I'm not planning to over-volt, I have noticed ASUS boards tend to be aggressive though.

you may lower the latency settings, just go all manual settings in the BIOS.
make sure you run at 1.65V (sometimes ddr3 is 1.5V) and try something like 7-7-7-20, then one notch lower.
but, maybe the settings are low already if it's being smart enough.

CPU-Z gives good enough on timings and SPD, then I used to do SuperPi 1M benchmark as it's quick and fun somewhat ("let's see if I've broke that damn 40 seconds barrier!")

ps: g.skill as far as i know guarantee 1866 mode with dual channel not triple

pps: some people on the gskil boards had your problem this worked for someone on a p67 board

1. reset cmos clock
2. enter bios and set xmp profile 1
3. reenter bios settings
4. in apm set pcie to enable
5. save and exit.

This to date has resolve my issues and memory is currently running at advertized speed of 1866

ps: g.skill as far as i know guarantee 1866 mode with dual channel not triple

pps: some people on the gskil boards had your problem this worked for someone on a p67 board

1. reset cmos clock
2. enter bios and set xmp profile 1
3. reenter bios settings
4. in apm set pcie to enable
5. save and exit.

This to date has resolve my issues and memory is currently running at advertized speed of 1866

Alright, this is my current plan. How do you reset CMOS clk?

Back