A food blog

http://omnomnomia.blogspot.com

Shamelss ad of my own blog, mods remove this if it's not appropriate to "advertise" like this.

I' ve been experimenting with Serious Eats 3 day cold fermentation and also the pan cooking method recently, gives very good results

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archiv...i-let-my-dough-cold-ferment.html?ref=carousel

and the pizza including the above and the skillet method

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/09/cold-fermented-fontina-parmigiano-and-oregano.html

Currently I am trying their no knead bread

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/06/the-food-lab-the-science-of-no-knead-dough.html

Thanks Kaotik and Dizietsma, I'm always on the look out for new cooking inspirations. (Gads I wish I was kidding about that, but I am not.)

Three of my pizza favourites:

Sauce: ripe tomatoes, a little salt and a little olive oil. Chop the tomatoes, drain seeds and juice away. If you use canned tomatoes, be sure to use whole tomatoes, drain juice and seeds away. Blend for 10 seconds.

Dough: Use a high protein flour (at least 12 grams protein/100 grams), water, olive oil, salt and yeast. Use less yeast than you normally would and let the dough set for 8 hours in a fridge.

Topping
All: Cheese, use mozzarella made from cow's milk. You can use buffalo mozzarella if you really want, but you have to let it drain some of the water off.

Ham and shrooms (Capricciosa):
Parma ham and oyster mushrooms. Rip the ham in roughle 5x5 cm chunks, chop the oyster mushrooms in 1-2x1-2 cm chunks, remove stalk if you want.

Assembly: dough, sauce, cheese, ham, then shrooms. - Bake.

Buffalo mozzarella and tomatos:
Buffalo mozzarella (drained), cherry or pachino tomatoes. Cut the tomatoes in halves

Assembly: dough, sauce, buffalo mozzarella, tomota halves. - Bake.

Rocket salad and bresaola
Rocket salad (rucola), italian grana cheese (like Parmigiano Reggiano), bresaola, cherry or pachino tomatoes (in halves).

Assembly: dough, sauce, mozzarella cheese. Bake. When baked, apply rucola salad, bresaola, flakes of grana cheese and tomatoes.

Cheers

There is a local pizzeria not far from where I live that serves pizzas baked in a wood-fired oven. They make the crust really really thin too so consequently they become quite wide in diameter.

My favorite variety has mozzarella, peppery salami, black olives, capers and ruccola (silly americans to call it "rocket" :)) salad. Tastes great!

The salad has a slight spicy overtone to it, kind of like fresh basil for example. I never thought fresh salad would taste good on a pizza, but it does.

Dear diary, bought a 4x100g pack of Milka Noisette at Lidl. Only two left when I got home. Yum.

I've discovered a really delicious brand of Greek Feta cheese at the store. It's both creamy in texture and crumbly at the same time, and has a wonderful balance of saltiness and tangy sourness. Speaking of salt, the brine it's been matured in is prepared with sea salt which gives its saltiness more richness and depth compared to ordinary sodium chloride.

I'm loving it, but I had to put myself on a self-mandated probation period so I wouldn't overindulge myself. :)

there are green slit peas sold at Lidl, for very cheap. they can safely sit for monthes before being eaten.

very un-lidl, as they are raw and take one hour cooking. good looking but very unspectacular, where's my roasty sauce, lavish cheese, sausage, colorful fruit? nothing, beside hardly any seasonings herbs in it and little grapeseed oil.
there's nothing in that dish, yet it's everything! :)

I guess you can have fancy ham and carrot in it but it's a lot fun to have it that raw on the table too.

it's tasty and the nutritious content, satiety are insane. (so best suited if have not eaten anything significant yet)

I've discovered a really delicious brand of Greek Feta cheese at the store. It's both creamy in texture and crumbly at the same time, and has a wonderful balance of saltiness and tangy sourness. Speaking of salt, the brine it's been matured in is prepared with sea salt which gives its saltiness more richness and depth compared to ordinary sodium chloride.

I'm loving it, but I had to put myself on a self-mandated probation period so I wouldn't overindulge myself. :)

What's the name of the brand and are they local to you, regional, or perhaps even international? I'm intrigued by your description and must say I do admire your love for food.

I've been lazy, I got like 15+ entries in the finnish version waiting to be translated :oops:

What's the name of the brand and are they local to you, regional, or perhaps even international?
It's sold by a Swedish importer/distributer called Fontana, and this product page (swedish, so keep your favorite flavor of babelfish handy if you want the bork bork bork bork translated) says the cheese is made by Kourellas, a small family company.

No idea if there's a US distributor. I can imagine importing Greek feta all the way to California might be a bit expensive...

I'm intrigued by your description and must say I do admire your love for food.
Hey, what can I say? Food is life! :D

I first tried feta on my first visit to Crete in 1986, it tastes VERY different compared to traditional Swedish cheeses so it was a bit of an acquired taste for me, but I soon fell under its sway. It's best enjoyed at room temperature IMO, as that brings out the flavor and improves its consistency. :)

Back