A couple of patents from TOSHIBA...

nAo

Nutella Nutellae
Veteran
The first one is about an hardware architecture that mimics a REYES rendering pipeline:
Graphic computing apparatus

The second one is about a GPU employing multiple processors coupled with local memory:
Data processor with a built-in memory

We know Toshiba has patents on multithreaded/multiprocessors architectures, REYES-like archictures, raytracing architectures..
and I wonder...WHY? ;)

ciao,
Marco

Renders Everything You Ever Saw

from what i read from googling,
REYES was the name of Pixar’s rendering software, before Renderman, or the start of Renderman.

(Now I've understood espacenet is better than uspto patent search because of showing name of applicant...)

Other Toshiba products such as TV, PC, HDD recorder, cell phone, digicam, and so on won't require realtime 3-D processing that much ;)

[0022] As an example to which the aforementioned schemes in the "non-real-time CG" field can be applied, a REYES architecture proposed by Robert L. Cook et al., "The Reyes Image Rendering Architecture", Computer Graphics (Proc. of SIGGRAPH '87), Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 95-102 (reference 4) is known. This architecture is implemented by software, and is commercially available as "PHOTOREALISTIC RENDERMAN" software from Pixar Animation Studios, USA. This architecture divides an input primitive into polygons called micropolygons equal to or smaller than the pixel size, and programmably executes elaborate processes including displacement mapping in units of vertexes of micropolygons.

[0023] However, this REYES architecture attaches importance on creation of very high-quality pictures. Hence, this architecture requires a long time for arithmetic operations since it is not devised to shorten the drawing time, which is strictly required in real-time 3D CG, and is not suitable for real-time hardware. Especially, since all primitives are basically processed by dividing them into small micropolygons equal to or smaller than the pixel size, a huge number of micropolygons are generated (for example, in the example described in reference 4, the number of micropolygons is 6.8 millions, resulting in poor adaptability to real-time hardware.

[0024] It is an object of the present invention to provide a graphic computing apparatus which allows an application creator to freely control the speed and image quality and can implement a high-quality image generation scheme used in non-real-time CG in real time.

[0064] A graphic processor according to the present invention is used in a real-time 3D graphics system such as a game machine or the like, as shown in, e.g., FIG. 1. A controller 1, DVD drive 2, hard disk drive 3, and communication unit 4 are connected to a low speed bus, and a CPU 6 is also connected thereto via a bus bridge 5. A medium (DVD) set in the DVD drive 2 stores application software such as a game or the like.

Deepak said:
Who knows Toshiba might do with Sony what Sony did with Nintendo before PS1.... ;)

Nintendo dropped Sony, not the contrary.

Vysez said:
Deepak said:
Who knows Toshiba might do with Sony what Sony did with Nintendo before PS1.... ;)

Doesn't matter, Toshiba is gaining invaluable experience working closely with Sony, we might see a Toshiba console in future.

Deepak said:
Vysez said:
Deepak said:

Doesn't matter, Toshiba is gaining invaluable experience working closely with Sony, we might see a Toshiba console in future.

SCE is the one who gained more insights in manufacturing processes and chip design working with Toshiba and now also IBM than what Toshiba learnt from Sony/SCE.

Toshiba may make a console in the future, but I doubt it would be competitive in any major way with Sony's. It's hard enough to break in the console market, I doubt Toshiba could do it without losing billions of dollars even moreso than MS lost since the release of the Xbox.

Anyway, nice find Marco. These patents are an interesting read even though I can barely understand them. Can anyone break these down into what the patents essentially are?

Why would Toshiba want to enter the console market on their own, risking to lose billions, when they are having a very easy (and profitable) life as they are now, holding on Sony's name...

Megadrive1988 said:
Renders Everything You Ever Saw

from what i read from googling,
REYES was the name of Pixar’s rendering software, before Renderman, or the start of Renderman.

Thanks

london-boy said:
Why would Toshiba want to enter the console market on their own, risking to lose billions, when they are having a very easy (and profitable) life as they are now, holding on Sony's name...

Currently Toshiba does not own a "sexy" brand name and marketing force like Sony, as its consumer buisiness is still mainly in home electronics area, manifacturing and selling air conditioner, microwave, washing machine and so on, in addition to hi-tech IT gadgets. But it's sure Tokyo Shibaura Electric Co. has huge basic R&D power, also making semiconductors and nuclear reactors.

Then I waded after nAo in patents hunting Toshiba's trail, I found other patents by the same group of engineers in Toshiba:

Method of rendering motion blur image and apparatus therefor

System and method for processing image, and compiler for use in this system

Image processing device executing image processing on input image and processing method for the same

These are patents in Japan, corresponding patents in US may be found at uspto
IMAGE PROCESSOR
MULTI-BANK ACCESS CONTROLLER AND MULTI-BANK ACCESS CONTROL METHOD
IMAGE PROCESSING LSI, INFORMATION PROCESSING SYSTEM AND PROGRAM EXECUTION METHOD

And I found Ms. Miwako Doi @ Toshiba has dozens of basic research patents about image processing.

But I'm shocked at this conceptual patent by Toshiba engineers but not about image processor!
Information space providing system and method

It describes network cities.
It looks like an advanced version of The Sims Online or IRC network, massively distributed network of users represented as GTA-like 3-D cities and streets dynamically generated and clustered by personal tastes and concepts. Is this the city of Cells, or Toshiba-version of Kutaragi Hype Matrix? :eek: :LOL: ;)

^ ^ Yes i understand, it's nothing new to me, all i'm saying is that it might be in their interest to stay attached to Sony, since it's been quite profitable for them so far.

Maybe one day, in a galaxy far away, a Toshiba console will be born. But i think we'll see an IBM console first, if it really HAS to happen.

Toshiba Patent US6704018 said:
Third Embodiment...
[0193] In this embodiment, the plurality of shape dividers 10, . . . , 1L independently operate by executing independent programs, and divide input primitives in accordance with identical or different programs.
Yo nAo, Programmable Primitive Processors!!!!@#$@$@!!
8)

3rd of September too huh, I think we've got about enough of these GPU patents to start a poll who thinks which of them (or combination of thereof) will be in PS3 :p

PPP's are good, no? one of the things that people wanted with the latest generation of PC cards (NV 40) but didnt get.

so the question is, will it be in PS3 or not, hmmm.

Fafalada said:
Yo nAo, Programmable Primitive Processors!!!!@#$@$@!!
8)
And vertex processors can read textures too..so it's at least VS3.0 compliant! (I'm joking 8) )

ciao,
Marco

p.s. the funny thing is that we have really a lot of GPU patents from SOny and Toshiba both..
It's not time yet to make a poll about which of them will be in PS3..
I'm waiting for a Sony's patent to be issued, its abstract says "Graphics Shading Processor" ;)

From the second patent:
[0103] Further, shader program and data as well as textured images can be included as main processing data. In the above embodiments, the polygon rendering is performed. However, the present invention can be applied to a rendering process of rendering in units of a pixel, such as ray-tracing, photon mapping
Spread the news..PS3 can do ray tracing and photon mapping too ;)

nAo said:
Spread the news..PS3 can do ray tracing and photon mapping too
That's the second GPU patent that mentioned raytracing, this must be proof that PS3 will be a raytracer!!! ;)

It's not time yet to make a poll about which of them will be in PS3..
I'm waiting for a Sony's patent to be issued, its abstract says "Graphics Shading Processor"
Won't that patent make the poll redundant? :p

Back