A bit of NV30 speculation from Xbit...

link here

No NV30 this year? Well that wouldn't surprise most of us, but personally hearing this come from Xbit is fairly surprising. Oh well... twiddle thumbs a bit longer I guess. :)

Well I sure do hope this isn't true. Especially for Nvidia. I know I'm not the only one hoping to have an NV30 in my stocking this year. If this is true, Ati is going to have a great Christmas this year. Even more so if they get their DDR-II Radeons in stores for the holidays. Personally I think Nvidia is going to make the deadline, but only time will tell I guess. Maybe we will learn more after the Nvidia Iron Developer Conference tomorrow. NV30 is the big topic on the schedule.

You can't rush a great thing I guess.

Incorrect.
When a company like NVDA is in trouble, the modus operandi of their marketing department is "You can't hype enough" :LOL:

NVidia isn't in "trouble", anymore than ATI, AMD, Intel, or others are because of the tech sector slowdown.

What would "trouble" NVidia is not any delay, but if the NV30 can't beat the R300. I don't care if the NV30 doesn't come out till Feb, as long as it can blow the doors off everything else, and lay the groundwork for future scaling on the refreshes.

I really don't think the 9700 is that important with respect to X-Mas. Neither NVidia nor ATI are going to make most of their cash off the high-end products during christmas. These products sell primarily to workstation/DCC markets and to high end gamers who buy their year around.

Note that despite the clear superiority of the R9700, ATI has not secured any significant OEM wins for the Christmas season. I don't know whether that's because of price, or insufficient volumes, or something else, but there it is. The R9500 will no doubt be a popular OEM chip, but not in time for Christmas.

Every month that the NV30 is delayed hurts NVIDIA's credibility, and to some extent their revenue, but if they are able to launch a highly competitive part in the near future, they certainly aren't in any real trouble.

Oompa Loompa said:
Note that despite the clear superiority of the R9700, ATI has not secured any significant OEM wins for the Christmas season. I don't know whether that's because of price, or insufficient volumes, or something else, but there it is. The R9500 will no doubt be a popular OEM chip, but not in time for Christmas.

Every month that the NV30 is delayed hurts NVIDIA's credibility, and to some extent their revenue, but if they are able to launch a highly competitive part in the near future, they certainly aren't in any real trouble.

Want to try that post again about no significant OEM wins for the Christmas season? Both the 9000 and 9700 have been racking up the OEM contracts in the last month.

http://www.rage3d.com/#1035258361

There's a certain prestige in having a brand attached to "fastest graphics card". This is more important than most people realise. When 3dfx started going down the gutter a few years ago, you can feel this frenzy in the community that people are switching over. That is starting to happen again. I already know quite a few people who bought the R300, and throughout the forums I visit, even the average Joe is catching on to ATI. The psychological effect is huge and will definitely boost sales of all Radeon products. Just like how NVIDIA sold a butt load of Ti4200s and MXs due to their champion Ti4600, ATI will sell a butt load of Radeon 9000/LEs from their trump R300. In short, it's not the R300 that's going to bring in the money but the other ATI products benefiting from the R300 consumer image.

Oompa Loompa said:

WRONG at least in germany. The GF4..MX cards are replaced with R9000 cards in all OEM-PC's I saw in advertising until now. So the R9000 is an BIG win for ATi.

We'll see next quarter. I don't think it's so simple. On B3D, we were arging V5 vs GF2, but Nvidia was raking in the money on TNT Vanta's, a chip that none of us would touch with a ten foot pole and which was inferior to mostly everything on the market..

Johnathan256 said:
Well I sure do hope this isn't true. Especially for Nvidia. I know I'm not the only one hoping to have an NV30 in my stocking this year.
[SNIP]
You can't rush a great thing I guess.
Why do you automatically assume NV30 is better than R300?
Seriously, i just dont get the rational. I mean, you dont even have paper specs!!!! All you have is unsubstantiated rumor- seems to me to be a poor thing to base a purchasing decision on.

Ichneumon said:
Want to try that post again about no significant OEM wins for the Christmas season? Both the 9000 and 9700 have been racking up the OEM contracts in the last month.

http://www.rage3d.com/#1035258361
I never said anything about the R9000. And that list is... deceptive. The R9700 is an *option* on the Dell and HP systems, and the others are mostly bleeding edge packages (eg. the $3000 Gateway model) or boutique dealers. It is a good start, and as the price of the R9700 drops I'm sure more wins will be forthcoming. But for the moment, NVIDIA is in no danger of being driven out of the OEM market.

You're arguing about the wrong OEM thing here, how many OEM wins does the Gf4Ti4600 have aganist the Gf4MX? The Gf4Ti range is also just an option in the majority of big OEM's, just like the 9700.

The 9000 is the bread and butter card and its starting to pick up OEM wins as a standard card, not optional upgrades.

Randell said:
You're arguing about the wrong OEM thing here, how many OEM wins does the Gf4Ti4600 have aganist the Gf4MX? The Gf4Ti range is also just an option in the majority of big OEM's, just like the 9700.

The 9000 is the bread and butter card and its starting to pick up OEM wins as a standard card, not optional upgrades.
Well the Radeon 9xxx series has win many contracts. We can't denied that. But the point is to know what's the tendency? Has Ati won more 9xxx series contracts than 8/7xxx series? Do these contracts concern more or less cards?

I don't known, and i supposed that till we don't have the facts, nobody knows over here ;) The future of the share market will tell us.

Well, it is logical to assume that the NV30 will naturally be faster that the R300 because the CineFX achitecture calls for "beyond DirectX 9" features and plus the thing is going to be clocked faster than the R300. I think that is reason enough. I don't know why people keep bringing this up!

Johnathan256 said:
Well, it is logical to assume that the NV30 will naturally be faster that the R300 because the CineFX achitecture calls for "beyond DirectX 9" features and plus the thing is going to be clocked faster than the R300. I think that is reason enough. I don't know why people keep bringing this up!

Your logic is flawed, Mr. Spock would say... ;)

a) Since when does the featureset directly relate to speed? Especially for applications that don't make use of it. (And I don't think that we will see any that will until 2004)

b) We know (In fact: do we?) that the GPU clock will be higher. We don't know if the bandwidth will be higher.

There are several reasons why the NV30 _could_ (and possibly should) be faster than the R9700 (and some have been discussed here already), but it is nowhere a fact. We just _know_ too little about it.

From the XBit labs piece it sounds like Creative is the favored OEM and will have an exclusive on the NV30 for a while (maybe just a month or two). I think that's the big news there.

Perhaps that is what persuaded Creative not to offer an ATI card after all?

Johnathan256 said:
Well, it is logical to assume that the NV30 will naturally be faster that the R300 because the CineFX achitecture calls for "beyond DirectX 9" features and plus the thing is going to be clocked faster than the R300. I think that is reason enough.

I don't see what is so logical to assume here...

And could you, please, explain this: "the CineFX achitecture calls for "beyond DirectX 9" features" - what is this and why does it means faster cards?

antlers4 said:
From the XBit labs piece it sounds like Creative is the favored OEM and will have an exclusive on the NV30 for a while (maybe just a month or two). I think that's the big news there.

Perhaps that is what persuaded Creative not to offer an ATI card after all?

Then why would Abit be announcing their version at the NV30's launch?

Back