9700 Pro < Ti4600 at MINIMUM fps - is this REALLY true?

Discussion in 'General 3D Technology' started by Joe Cool, Nov 9, 2002.

1. Randell

Randell Senior Daddy
    Veteran

I cant get the new UT2K3 bech file to work. It just says cant find correct .ini file. I've tried running it from the system folder, benchmark folder and ut23K folder to no avail.

Brebt how many 'low' frames do you see with Anatalus? I've checked and its only a couple on my system.

2. SLAGD

Newcomer

I'm sorry for the mixup, the scripts that were posted had the wrong ut2003 directory in them. I have informed the site and they are fixing the scripts. Also I had to make a minor update to fix a crashing problem users were having when their ut2003 directory had spaces in the path. Sorry for any trouble.

3. Randell

Randell Senior Daddy
    Veteran

thanks all works fine now. Min FPS seem to be in the 30/40's now as well on my system - with per second fps turned off.

4. g__day

Regular

I have loved NVidia (and 3dfx) from day dot. But today I gave in and got a Radeon 9700 PRO from AusPCMarkets (who have now moved to Homebush the bastratds)!

I was waiting for GeForce FX, but thought the price will be ridiculous given the lag between when software will be ready for it and what better h/w will exist then.

Even on my nowadays relatively slow o/c 1.4GHz Athlon this card is a beauty. Its a huge increase from my GF3 Ti500 which was 15 months old (and now graces my eldest son's PC).

Interestingly AusPCMarkets stressed use it with a high quality BIG power supply (they stressed over 400W - mine is 420W luckily).

My only beef was finding a utility that allow me to lock refresh rates above 60Hz in OpenGL games (there are plenty of good ones for NVidia - like NVRefesh Tool 2.1) but finding one for the Catalyst 3.0 drivers that actually worked took 90 minutes.

Q. What do folk here use to fix OpenGL refresh rates with 9700 PRO please?

So bottom line is I'm a happy boy - plus I shunted video cards to upgrade 2 of my kids computers so now only have to shelve a 32MB GF2 MX card.

And this is truly a lovely card with not troubles so far and excess speed. I can finally run the ATI DX9 demos and code creatures and see real speed at very high resolutions.

I am very pleased I skipped the GeForce 4 range and waited another generation for R300. By the end of this year I may go GeForce FX or R350, or maybe wait until the next release and some software is finally out there. But in the end I took Ben's private advice and just jumped in. And I am so happy now (but dying for real DX9 games - or Doom 3 - to appear). But from here on in top end 3D cards over the next 18 months will be revelations I believe - really sexy stuff.

PS

What is the point to this post - Just to say yippee I am happy from a 3d retail fix - its been a year scince I bought any serious hardware (except a laser printer for my wife yesterday) and now I am hyped - a late birthday present to myself :) And that I thoroughly endorse and love this card. On a BIG CPU it must be incredible.

5. Randell

Randell Senior Daddy
    Veteran

Reforce works for me

6. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

RefreshLock works for me...

7. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Veteran

I second ReForce (Refresh Force).

8. Althornin

Althornin Senior Lurker
    Veteran

For every video card, i'd recommend the easy to use, no rebooting required, Refresh Force,
    Best util out there, works on ANY card.
    http://www.pagehosting.co.uk/rf/

9. WaltC

Veteran

BelleVue Sanatorium, Billary, NY. Patient privile
    Agreed--RefreshForce is the best. I prefer it to Lock because you write the values once to the registry and they are locked in permanently--until your next driver install. No having to run a resident program, etc.