~%90 will play these games on regular TVs. Which has better

ralexand

Regular
image quality on a regular TV of the 3 consoles? Will the machines apply more AA if running on a regular TV? Will you be able to get letterbox output on normal sets?

XBox 360 should have very good AA which will be a good thing at the lower res of an SDTV. No word on what level of AA the PS3 or Revolution will support and at what performance impact. 4xAA on the 360 appears to be relatively "free".

Qroach said:
your not going to have text that smalle on a console at max res.

And stats on an rpg? Big texts (i.e "5633 OVERKILL") would be crappy when hitting an enemy on FF XIII. And text on cars, shops...

Vaan said:
I am quite scared of image quality on regular TV's. Graphics should view amazing, but text...

Let's put a real time example...

Full frame 1400x900

Scaled to 640x480

As I say, graphics should look perfect, but text...

You have to rescale the second image to the same as the first so that you get a fair comparison because your TV does not automagically reduce in size with the resolution. e.g. 32" HDTV versus 32" regular TV (let's assume the aspect ratios are the same.)

:p

I agree that text will not suddenly become computer monitor layout level, but I think there will generally be a fine line to stray for game developers. They may be tempted to "push the envelope" a bit and pack text in a bit smaller to utilize those "hd" capabilities, but they also will have another side tugging on them to maintain sensibility for mere sdtv owners. They can't very well go too far in either extreme w/o impacting "compatibility" with their overall userbase. So we may see examples here and there where font size may be a tad "off" depending on what sort of device you are viewing it on.

trinibwoy said:
XBox 360 should have very good AA which will be a good thing at the lower res of an SDTV. No word on what level of AA the PS3 or Revolution will support and at what performance impact. 4xAA on the 360 appears to be relatively "free".
AA, on classical TVs, won't be an issue, at least on the PS3/X360 (We still don't know enough about the Revolution).
Seeing how all the games will run natively at 720P and/or 1080P, the downscaling to 480i will give the image a free SuperSampling AA.

Vysez said:
trinibwoy said:
AA, on classical TVs, won't be an issue, at least on the PS3/X360 (We still don't know enough about the Revolution).
Seeing how all the games will run natively at 720P and/or 1080P, the downscaling to 480i will give the image a free SuperSampling AA.

Good point.

trinibwoy said:
Vysez said:
trinibwoy said:

Good point.

didnt the dreamcast do this (supersampling, working with higher rez and outputting to 640/480

I just wanted to comment on HD and its uptake.

I have no idea what the uptake of HDTV/HD screens is like in the USA, but I can tell you that in the UK its really slow.

I mean sure you can find cheap plasma panels here in stores, but for example when I tried to find a display that did 1080p the ONLY one I could find was a £4500 Samsung unit. I'm loathed to spend that much on a unit atm.Also there are hardly any displays with HDMI output. The nicest one I can find atm is the pioneer 435 XDE, and the newer Panasonic pv500

I really dont see HD taking of in the UK for some years.

Vaan said:
Qroach said:
your not going to have text that smalle on a console at max res.

And stats on an rpg? Big texts (i.e "5633 OVERKILL") would be crappy when hitting an enemy on FF XIII. And text on cars, shops...

We've been able to read text on TVs since the NES, not sure what the huge problem is wrt text...

The main problem is that people playing at 480i and eventually switching to 720p will experience a change that's gonna make them depressed for having played their newest games on a normal TV.

ims said:

I have no idea what the uptake of HDTV/HD screens is like in the USA, but I can tell you that in the UK its really slow.

I mean sure you can find cheap plasma panels here in stores, but for example when I tried to find a display that did 1080p the ONLY one I could find was a £4500 Samsung unit. I'm loathed to spend that much on a unit atm.Also there are hardly any displays with HDMI output. The nicest one I can find atm is the pioneer 435 XDE, and the newer Panasonic pv500

It's like most want benefit from the biggest selling point of this gen, hd output.

Well, as I stated in another thread, a lot of times it takes one technology to push another... I personally know of quite a few people who will buy HDTV's once PS3 comes out to take advantage of BD and the better looking games, and I have a feeling that this won't be relegated to just a couple people that I know. From what I understand, Europe is relatively far behind in terms of adopting HDTV anyway, but it's possible this could change that.

ims said:

HD in the UK is going very slow, but there are already many displays capable of HDTV resolutions, 720p/1080i. 1080p is really a non-issue at the moment.

The main problem is that manufacturers still sell cheap 800x480 plasmas disguising them as HD displays with fancy words like HD Inputs or High Resolution.

So if someone uninformed goes out buying a plasma today he will probably end up with a non-HD display. And he won't change it again come next year, when Sky starts their HD broadcasts.

SKY will only support DVI-HDMI with HDCP, so any display without those digital inputs, even the ones with DVI but no HDCP (And there are many) will not work with Sky HD programmes.

BBC said they're not going to show any HD material until 2010 which is absolutely outrageous.

The Government should do like the Australian one, force broadcasters to have 3 variants of each channel, one SD, one HD and i can't remember the other one.

By the time PS3 hits the UK market (Xmas 2006 i assume), HD will be much more widespread in the UK.

It helps that displays are now labelled as "HD Ready" in the shops, although this system doesn't really work (Some HD-Ready TVs don't have the label for example, while some - the Sony ones released so far - with the label have NO kind of digital input, making them incompatible with Sky's proprosal of HD programmes).

Hope this helps, the UK people need to be informed about this kind of thing.

just imagine if sony and microsoft will disable HD settings in the next gen consoles configuration like they did with the current ps2 and xbox

that would be a major suckage a la carte

hey69 said:
just imagine if sony and microsoft will disable HD settings in the next gen consoles configuration like they did with the current ps2 and xbox

that would be a major suckage a la carte

No they won't do that. It has been predicted that by the end of 2006 there will be at least 20M HDTVs in Europe.

Back