8800gts vs vsynch

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Blakhart, Oct 3, 2008.

1. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

I've had some strange issues with Vista and OpenGL vsync. For a while I was convinced that OpenGL vsync didn't work in Vista at all on ATI cards. But as I was looking at the tearing, I realized that it was only at one position on the screen all the time. The tearing caused by no vsync isn't like that, it can tear anywhere. So I started to think that it wasn't vsync that was the problem at all, and instead went and turned Aero off. Fixed the tearing. Turned Aero back on and it was still fixed. So something had gone awry with Aero or some level of interaction with the driver and the OS. Who knows.

I haven't played anything OpenGL on my 8800 lately so can't remember Vsync problems there....

As for D3D, I always use Rivatuner's D3DOverrider. What a great little app there.

2. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

the higher the refresh rate, the less bothering the tearing is, playing vsync off at 100Hz is usually fine.

3. Blakhart

Newcomer