8800gts vs vsynch

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Blakhart, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Blakhart

Newcomer

Ok so I installed the 8800. And there's no way I can see to force vsynch on games. I have force vsynch enabled in the driver cp, but it does nothing, games are still at 60hz
    What am I missing here? The 7900 driver had options to force refresh rates, why not the 8800? Anyone have a solution?

Thanks for looking!

2. kyleb

Veteran

That is good, forcing vsync shouldn't do anything to change your refresh rate. As for forcing games to run at a higher refresh rate, I'm not up with the current means of doing that as there is no point do doing so with the displays I use. What monitor are you using anyway? 60Hz is optimal for most modren displays, as that is the frequency they internally refresh at.

3. Blakhart

Newcomer

It's a 21in crt. It's set to 100Hz desktop refresh, and I want my games to match it. The 7900gtx does just fine at vsynch in games, the 8800 is a loser in that regard. I put the 7900 back in as I hate the tearing of 57Hz refresh in games. Guess I'm going to give up on the 8800.

4. kyleb

Veteran

Refresh rates don't cause tearing, at least not on CRTs, and nothing but the but the crappiest LCDs either. If you are getting tearing, that is a seprate issue and I'm not sure what would be causing it, but my 8800gt has always done vsync just fine.

Regardless, with a CRT you do certainly need higher refresh rates to aviod perceivable flicker. Again, I haven't used a CRT in quite a while, so I'm not up on the latest tricks, but I know there are ways to force the refresh rate you want. Refresh Force is what I used back in the day, I know Riviatuner has a refresh rate overrider tool, and I'd wager there are more options around as well.

5. Blakhart

Newcomer

I tried rivatuner and it didn't lock vsynch in games. Maybe I'll look at riva a bit more closely.

6. kyleb

Veteran

I suggested Riviatuner for forcing your refresh rate, not enabling vsync. If you take a moment to distinguish the difference between the two you would likely have a better chance of configuring your system to do what you'd like.

7. Blakhart

Newcomer

Vsynch is enabled, and I tried forcing the refresh rate via riva.

8. Davros

Legend

so is it fixed now
    ps: is your desktop running at 100hz

9. Blakhart

Newcomer

Hi and no, the games still run at whatever, always 60Hz or less, no vsynch, desktop is at 100.
    I fire up a game and it's not centered in the screen anymore, it's off to the right, indicating vsynch is disabled. So back on the 7900 and everything's peachy. You guys can have your 8800s and newer if I can't have my vsynch!

lol

10. kyleb

Veteran

That isn't any indication of vsync being dissabled or otherwise. I'm guessing your vsync options are working fine, just like they do on my 8800GT.

11. Blakhart

Newcomer

Instead of being centered as games are under the 7900 with vsynch enabled, they're offest to the right, and suffer from 60Hz flicker unlike the 7900 wich pretty much runs all my games at 100fps, as shown in fps counters. Oddly enough the 7900 does it at 2xaa and 16x af. I'm pretty sure that no matter what i do, vsynch isn't enabled with the 8800.

12. kyleb

Veteran

and with it dissabled too, the centering of the image on your display has nothing to do with vsync.

All you need is to run the same refresh rate on your 8800 as you were using on your 7900, and your image will be centered just the same, vsync on or off. Again, I recommend the Refresh Force program I linked above. It worked great the last time I used it anyway.

13. Davros

Legend

maybe you could edit the monitor inf and remove 60hz

14. Blakhart

Newcomer

At first I didn't consider that refresh force would work with a newer card, last time I used it was whith a gf4ti, so dl'd it and will give it a try with the 8800.

PS
    since the games at 60Hz show tearing, that indicates to me that vsynch is inoperative.

15. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Have you tried using D3DOverrider? It can force vsync in -anything-.

16. Davros

Legend

is it vysnc or refresh rate
    if its refresh

start -- run --dxdiag.exe
    more help -- overide

17. Blakhart

Newcomer

Tried the fix that kyle suggested, tried nvreftool too. Neither worked in ogl games. The dxdiag thing only works for d3d games, so at least thats a start. Any suggestions? Anyone care to guess why nvid doesn't have a override like in their older drivers?

18. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

I read abouth that problem in Vista, had teh same with my HD4870 not beign able to force on vsync for games.

The magic tool is D3Doverrider, lets you force on vsync and tripple buffering for games. Here I separated the latest version (2.11) from RivaTuner, just put it in a folder and make a shortcut to the exe.

Then create a profile for each game exe and enable what you want.

http://rapidshare.com/files/151009972/D3DOverrider.rar.html

19. Blakhart

Newcomer

I'll give it a try, thanks.

20. Blakhart

Newcomer

D3d is fine, but ogl is lacking, riva got it to synch at 85, but won't take 100, wich is what I have a rule set for in riva, oddly enough. Guess I'll keep looking.