8800: Ultra, GTX, or GTS SLI?

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Gholbine, May 16, 2007.

1. Gholbine

Regular

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I can't seem to find anything using the search function, but nevertheless...

I'm in the process of building a new computer, and I'm contemplating the graphics solution. I can't seem to decide between the three graphics solutions I mentioned in the thread title. The main purpose of my PC is to chew through the upcoming DX10 titles such as Crysis.

The most recent benchmarks I've seen seem to show a strong performance by the GTS SLI vs. the GTX and Ultra cards. However these benchmarks are using DX9 based games such as Prey, BF2142, etc. Would they still be a good indication of the performance differences on DX10 titles such as Crysis?

My other concern is heat and power consumption. The GTX and Ultra are already very power hungry cards, and I'm probably already going to need a 500W+ power supply, but how much would going the GTS SLI increase the power requirement? What kind of power supply would I need to support that?

Any input would be appreciated.

P.S. Q6600, 2gb PC 6400, P5B Premium, etc.

2. 2900guy

Newcomer

buy an overclocked GTX like msi sells for around $530 I say.

who cares if next year the GTX cant keep up with DX 10 games?

You can sell your GTX and use the money to buy the best card at that time. for some reason the concept of selling old, using money to facilitate purchase of new, is completely beyond 99% of so called enthusiasts who post on forums like H, rage3d, ocforums and here. i suggest you get the corsair 620hx.

3. EasyRaider

Regular

I'd get a GTX. If you do go for GTS SLI, make sure to get 640 MB cards. 320 can quickly become a bottleneck.

Power requirements are usually overstated. For a single card you'll probably be fine with whatever you have now. Corsair HX620 is a great choice for SLI.

4. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Go for the 8800 GTX or one of the 8800 GTX Overclock editions. It's the best value for high-end gaming.

As for power requirements, you will be fine on a top quality PSU of 550 watts. The Corsair 620HX will work fine.

For reference I present the following from XBIT Labs 1000 Watt PSU Review:

5. Geeforcer

Geeforcer Harmlessly Evil
    Veteran

Newegg has a 630/1000 Foxxcon GTX for $520 with mail-in.

6. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯

I was going to order one yesterday, but just missed out. They're still out of stock. :(

7. Faceless Rebel

Newcomer

I just received the Foxconn 630/2000 GTX from Newegg today. It refused to OC even to 635 on the core without locking up, which is disappointing, but the memory went right up to 1076 (2152) without any complaints. Mine is a black PCB too, as you may know all the GTS and GTX now use green PCBs and only the Ultras use black PCBs, so I'm guessing mine is a rebadged Ultra with different clocks, maybe because it failed Ultra QC or something.

I looked at the stock BIOS clocks using the NiBiTor BIOS editing tool and the stock clocks on this Foxconn are 630/1350/2000. So it's using the stock GTX shader clock, not the 1500 stock shader clock on the Ultra. If it weren't for the fact this GTX costs $300 less than an Ultra, I would be disappointed. I hope somebody with make an OCing took for 8800 series that lets you OC the shader clock. I'm not ready to start editing and flashing the BIOS of my $520 videocard just yet. Maybe when Crysis comes out and starts crushing this GTX, I'll think it over.

8. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯

Did you try unmounting the heatsink and reapplying thermal paste on it to ensure it's done properly?

9. Faceless Rebel

Newcomer

It doesn't run any hotter at 635 than it does at 630...

I'm not sure what you're driving at here. :?:

10. EasyRaider

Regular

That's not a very good recommendation.

Without SLI, 350 to 450 W is sufficient, depending on overclocking and other components in the system.

But besides a known quality brand, the main thing to look for is combined output on the +12V rail(s).

11. SugarCoat

Veteran

I doubt it. Ultras supply a higher voltage to the core so if it was indeed an Ultra that simply failed quality testing you should still have more push on the core then your basic GTX. You'd be able to tell actually as the Ultra and GTX PCBs have some minor physical differences. Anyway unless you're a 3Dmark freak or something just be happy ;).

Im able to get mine to 630/2100 (shader clocks @ around 1460) before it craps out so i'd be willing to bet its a voltage thing. It doesnt artifact at all, just refuses to go any higher.

#11 SugarCoat, May 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2007
  12. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯

So you're saying that not running SLI will somehow make the 550 Watt PSU not able to power the system? How is providing the option/capability to upgrade to an SLI system a bad recommendation? :shock:

13. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯

What I'm getting at is typically the thermal paste is applied piss-poor at the factory. Redoing it properly increases the ability to overclock.

14. EasyRaider

Regular

It's not that bad, just liable to give the wrong idea. He won't need anywhere near 550 W without SLI, so if he already has a decent PSU, he shouldn't need a new one. And as I noted, it's usually more important to inspect +12V capacity than the total.

15. Gholbine

Regular

I have another question...

GTS SLI or 2900XT Crossfire?

16. suryad

Veteran

I recommend 2 x Ultras in SLI and a quad core qx 6800.

17. Geeforcer

Geeforcer Harmlessly Evil
    Veteran

...Or you could get 2x EVGA GTS 640s ($309 each at ZZF after $30 mail-in) and a E6600 thrown in just for kicks for about the price of ONE Ultra.

18. SugarCoat

Veteran

not everyone wants to incinerate money. When it comes to computer components we seem to be heading into a new realm as its becoming quite a trend:

We have the enthusiast parts still of course, and now parts for the "I have too much money, take! take!" people. Personally i think people that pay some ridiculous markup for all of 5-10% more performance are stupid, mostly because of how fast flagship stuff gets replaced. Alas its their money, they do with it what they will, though i could never in my right mind suggest any of the parts you mentioned because of how insane the markup is. Subjective opinion of course. YMMV.

19. Aerows

Regular Newcomer

I'm happy with my 640MB GTS and an overclocked X2 :grin:

20. suryad

Veteran

So people who buy Ferraris and Lamborghinis are stupid then by your logic? You are entitled to your opinion of course and I am entitled to mine...and my opinion is you are jealous cause you cant afford it and not some excuse like "Oh I would rather spend it on something else". Calling someone stupid does not go quite right with the reps you have on this forum.