816093 Security Update Microsoft Virtual Machine

D3v0ur3r

Regular
Hello all.

Hopefully someone can help me. I keep getting the notice for automatic update "816093 Security Update Microsoft Virtual Machine". I've tried to install it about 4 to 6 times & every time I do it gives me an error saying,

"This setup will only install over an existing version of the Microsoft VM."

If I do not have an existing version then why is it telling me to update, or if I do then why isn't it updating? At any rate, hopefully someone knows how I can fix it.

Is it XP or Vista?

Windows update is trying to get a new version for your Java VM.

IIRC, there are controls in XP SP2 that let you choose an alternative one. Vista has these for sure and it's called "Default Programs" in Control Panel.

So.. go to http://sun.com and download their own. Maybe it'll go away since you won't need it anymore.

Yeah, check "Set Program Access and Defaults" near the top of your Start > All Programs menu to see if you're set to use MS' VM or Sun's JRE/JDK. You could, as t0y suggested, install the latest JRE to see if that gets rid of the update nag.

Its for XP.
Actually, no. It's for 2000 :p.

Looks like you probably have an old install that believes you really need the update but you actually don't even have the MS VM installed.

A possible workaround is to disable the offending update on the windows update site.

I was answering your question before of if it was XP or Vista. Can't see how my computer would think its for 2000 as I never had 2000 installed ever on my Drive. No matter I am trying Vista right now.

I wasn't saying you lied or didn't know the difference. If you read the link in the word "2000" it takes you to the knowledge base article related to the patch. It says the patch is for 2000 only and that's what I meant. :)

The patch wasn't published properly by MS, that's why you're having issues.

Simply disable automatic Windows updates and use Firefox. Works very nice.

Well, he'll have to update other Windows components eventually. I think he should just switch to Sun's JRE (Java Runtime Environment), seeing as they invented the thing. No sense running to MS' VM, AFAIK, and hopefully switching Windows from the VM to the JRE should eliminate it trying to update the VM.

He should be using Firefox, either way. :smile:

Back