8 centimeter optical discs and the PS3 slot-loading drive

Blackraven

Newcomer
I've always wondered about this as I have a Sony DVD camcorder at home. Last time I checked (Blu-ray.com forum), they pointed to me the instruction manual which says that it supports 8 cm optical discs by inserting the disc in the center of the drive.

Question is:
What happens if this isn't complied with? I mean, what would happen if by accident (or maybe on purpose), I place the 8 cm disc on either side of the drive and not in the center.

Does that mean that 8 cm optical disc would get stuck in the PS3 optical drive and thus would need to send it to a repair shop??? Is this covered in terms with Sony warranty???

Hope to hear your advice/comments on this. :)

Question is:
What happens if this isn't complied with? I mean, what would happen if by accident (or maybe on purpose), I place the 8 cm disc on either side of the drive and not in the center.

It should be ok. I have yet to see an optical disc drive (except for notebook slim drives that you have to manually insert onto the spinner anyway) that didn't have that little inset in the middle to guide those 8cm discs to the center where the spinner will then fit through the center hole.

I was afraid to try inserting an 8cm disc into my PS3 slot loader until I realized my Wii accepted 8cm Gamecube discs just fine. This emboldened me and I started first seeing if an off-centre 8cm disc insertion would work on the Wii--it did, with a cool active-centring effect. The loading mechanism gripped the disc before it was centred, centred it, them pulled it in. I tried the same on the PS3, but found that the deeper I pushed the 8cm disc into the PS3's slot, the more I was hitting guides that funneled the disc toward the centre before the active mechanisms engaged. I was more impressed by the Wii's slot loader, but both seem perfectly capable of taking 8cm abuse.

Of more concern are the discs, which can sometimes get a scratch from the centering process. At least, early slot loaders did, I haven't used one in a few years.

Back