7800GTX (now) or x1800XT (wait) - help an IQ junkie decide

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Mize, Oct 14, 2005.

1. ANova

Veteran

I thought I had heard it used a new internal connector, which is actually somewhat true but not quite. I was wrong in that respect.

2. marco

Regular

3. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Thanks. I'm waiting for now. I bought a cheapo ($50) x300 PCI-E card to hold me over till the XT comes out. I broke down and bought the DFI Crossfire board, 2 gigs of OCZ platinum, a 4400+ x2 and some other nice toys to go with that new Dell monitor. It should all be here about 24 hours before I leave for Thailand and Japan for 10 days :(

When I get back XTs should be around...

4. fbomber

Newcomer

I think you should get that PC Power and Cooling 850w power supply, if you plan to put two X1800XTs in your rig.

5. fbomber

Newcomer

I think you should get that PC Power and Cooling 850w power supply, if you plan to put two X1800XTs in your rig. This power supply is awesome and would get you trouble free.

6. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

I got an OCZ PowerStream 480 for now. No way I can afford 2x x1800xts at this point...possible upgrade in a year

7. wireframe

Veteran

You are going to need CrossFire (or SLI) to get 1920*1200 with any kind of filtering in the foreseable future. Judging by titles released recently and upcoming titles, single GTXs and XTs will crumble at that resolution unless you turn off all the goodies.

PS. And that would also more-or-less mandate a PSU upgrade to the 600watt level. (but better safe than sorry, perhaps a bit more than that)

8. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Well that means lower resolutions with black bars I suppose for a while. Maybe a refresh of a second XT and a PSU just in time for my birthday or something...:)

9. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

But apparently not Quake 4?

Here it appears that a single X1800XT comes very close to two GTXs in SLI (48 vs. 52 fps) at high resolution with 4x AA and 8x AF.

#29 Mize, Oct 24, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2005
  10. wireframe

Veteran

Sounds like a good plan. We shall have to whip out the birthday candles immediately! :smile: :wink:

PS. You do realize that we all expect a full report on that CrossFire mainboard, X1800XT, and in conjunction with your monitor when it all arrives, right? That will be our collective birthday present. :razz:

Addition: I don't know about Quake 4, but I doubt it's anywhere near as intensive as some other titles you will want to get full enjoyment out of. Imagine Quake 4 with HDR and then some. That's just my theory...

#30 wireframe, Oct 24, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2005
  11. Mintmaster

Veteran

I really don't know how you guys can honestly say that GC AA looks worse. I saw the screenshots on several different LCD's (Dell, Apple), and while the ATI pic looks slightly worse than on my CRT due to their display gamma, it was still nowhere near as bad as uncorrected AA on NV's image.

The other thing to remember is that ATI and NVidia have rotated grids in different directions. If the wires slanted the other way, the "chain link" look (which is a gross overcharacterization IMO), would now be on NVidia's cards.

I agree that having good AA on power lines is important for reducing distracting aliasing, but NV's AA looks like no AA at all to me.

12. Moloch

Moloch God of Wicked Games
    Veteran

I think 4x fsaa should be the min fsaa used on any highend board.
    To me, 4x fsaa seems like even at 1600x1200 the bare min to really begin to notice the difference.
    2x fsaa does really nothing on my 6600GT in the big picture, slightly better but not enough.
    It's good to see ati really worked on having 6x fsaa being a more viable option, with their TAA it's really nice:grin:
    I want R580 to have 8x MSAA avail:grin:
    on a single card...