7800GTX (now) or x1800XT (wait) - help an IQ junkie decide

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Mize, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Having just ordered that 24" widescreen Dell LCD (thanks for nothing Epic :) ) I'm in the market for a whole new rig (darn!).

The sticky point is the video card.

I've no brand loyalty to worry about here, but I *am* an IQ junkie and will be dealing with an LCD native resolution of 1920x1200...and hoping to run maximum filtering and AA on everything that an Athlon 64x2 4400+ can manage.

I've seen Brent's screenshots showing what appears to be much better filtering on the x1800 series (AA seems about the same to me to be honest) and am somewhat leaning that direction...can the GTX be tweaked for better filtering?

So the big question is whether to order the 7800 GTX today or wait a few weeks for the x1800xt...I hate waiting.

There must be some other folks in a similar boat. Thoughts?

2. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

I would wait a few weeks to see how the X1800XT affects prices as well as driver and IQ options from Nvidia.

3. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

If you really hate waiting you should probably buy the GTX now, however you could also buy something now and turn it over (ebay) later if you are into doing that kind of thing. It certainly won't cost you anything to wait, but you can't buy patience. :)

4. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Well it seems that cost isn't an issue to you so I would say to wait. It's only two weeks. And if there is poor availability or ridiculous pricing on the XT you will still have the GTX option. If you can get a 256MB 1500Mhz XT for $499 at launch, that would be a great buy in comparison to a ~ $450 GTX. Either way, I wouldn't go for a 256MB solution right now in the price bracket you're looking at.

5. Moloch

Moloch God of Wicked Games
    Veteran

if you can wait the choice is clear, what isn't clear, is how available the XT will be and how much the real price will be.
    Angle independent AF+++
    hdr+fsaa +++

6. marco

Regular

Hey, I did buy the same Dell screen! What a monster ey?
    I did take your next step already; AMD3500(Venice), MSI SLI mobo, 2GB of ram and 2X XFX Geforce7800 GTX Extreme. The extreme part is in that XFX clocked the cards to 490MHz/1.3GHz. I now play at the native screen resolution (1920*1200) with all eye candy on.

There is no way I would buy the ATi, as I had to buy crossfire for dual graphics. And we all know what is going on with crossfire. BTW before the flamewars begin: I am not an ATi or nVidia fan, I just buy the better product at a given time. (I used to run ATi and nVidia cards next to each other on different machines). If you are in the market for a single graphics solution, maybe ATi can be another choice. But with the 24" Dell, you want to play at 1920, trust me, :)

If you can wait till the 7800GTX 512MB comes along, I would go for that baby. I had no other choice, I already sold my old rig, so I just took the step and bought the SLI setup. Playing FEAR at 1290 is really awesome. Doom3 I tested at 1920*1200 with 4XFSAA and 8X Ani and it still runs like hell. Hopefully nVidia releases new drivers soon, as there are some small issues with vsync.

7. Hellbinder

Banned

Crossfire on the X1K line is fine.

The X1K line has better IQ overall and tons more bandwidth for higher levels of AA and such at extreme resolutions.

Sorry man.. but for what Mize is saying (or you) there is no way in heck you should have or he should get a GTX.

8. marco

Regular

I disagree, Crossfire may have some solutions where it supposed to work at 1920*1200. But it is a new first release of a certain technology.
    Where nVidia has already some generations done with SLI, ATi has not. Buying a first generation technology is never a smart thing to do. That is why I would not buy crossfire. And come on, using cables for dual graphics setup? It was a bad thing when 3DFX did it and it is still a bad solution. And I still have to see when the top end ATi models and crossfire are in the shops and at what price?

9. ANova

Veteran

The X1K line does not use cables like the X800 line; it also has two dual link DVI outputs for resolutions up to 2560x1600.

The X1800 XT fares alot better then the GTX at high resolutions with lots of AA.

10. mustrum

Regular

If money is no issue you might as well wait.
    I was in the same situation but i had no graphics card at all. Had a DFI PCI-E Board since my AGP one died and i didn`t want to buy another AGP board. Was sitting on my board and was thinking: Buy a cheap card and wait or buy a GTX.
    The fact that a GTX was 415€ new and the x1800XT is supposed to go for about 550€ once it`s out made me get the GTX.

If you can wait and the higher price is no issue you should wait though IMO. I doubt that the X1800XT will make the GTX price drop though. It`s quite cheap for a top of the line card allready. (Compared to what the 6800 U and X800 XT PE a few months after release.)

You can`t go wrong with either card i think but the ATI might give you a slightly better IQ thanks to those additional features it will come with.

11. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Where did you get that?

12. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

Maybe he was pointing Marco at the fact that the x1k's don't have the resolution limit of xfire800 series.. and then came with a pretty stupid remark (which still doesn't invalidate his point though...)

c'mon marco, I thought dutch people knew better?!

13. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

14. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Well, I don't recall that anyone has explained that damn connector yet in the upper left of the board --tho perhaps I'm spacing on info overload from the review orgy! Did Wavey? I'll have to go look again.

But I didn't see a specific reference to that connector. The X1600 series does not appear to have it from Wavey's pics. Come now, they are selling X1800XL --it must be mentioned in the documentation what that is for?

Okay, here's what Rys says:

Well, okay, so at least we know what its not. I'm still :shock: that they are actually selling these things to the public with a great honking connector on it that they aren't telling anyone what it is for! "Elephant in the room, you say? What elephant?" :???:

15. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

Reminds me of Jim Carrey "You scratched my car! Where? right about HEEEEEErrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeee"

16. Xmas

Xmas Porous
    Veteran Subscriber

geo, the mentioned new connector for CrossFire is the one on the backplate of the master card, which now has to provide the pins for dual-link input and output.

17. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Yes, Wavey has a pic of it that I saw in his piece, and that I neglected to mention.

Looking at the board pics got me into a mini-rant on the mystery connector, which confused the issue a bit. :razz:

Then I remembered that historically speaking I could only be moderately :shock: at this specific behavior from ATI. It isn't the first time: http://www.beyond3d.com/misc/chipcomp/?view=boarddetails&id=159

As I recall, the user docs called it "a future feature connector" or somesuch, and they never did get around to doing anything with it. :lol:

Edit: I take it back, partially. I'm still fairly firm in the belief that the original documentation was cagey about what that connector was for on the Fury --but apparently they got around to admitting it was for hooking up to a TV-Tuner.

#17 Geo, Oct 15, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2005
  18. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Veteran

On the one hand, nV's AA may look nicer with LCDs.

OTOH, ATI's HQ AF should look nicer regardless of monitor type.

Both have alpha texture AA, so that's a wash. What you're left with is the XT packing more memory bandwidth, and that may be all-important at 1920x1200. But you'll want to wait for the 512MB 7800 GTX (I still cling to the Ultra name) reviews that will probably include slightly more polished X1800XT drivers, too, for a fairer assessment of the high end.

OTOH, considering the Z1800XT's power requirements, sticking two in one box seems absurd. If the 512MB GTX maintains the 7800's relative frugality with the power draw, it may be a smarter bet for an SLI setup.

But then remember that a couple ppl in these forums are saying that we're going to see two new high-end cards from both IHVs in the next year or so leading up to Vista: SM3 respins/refreshes (90nm G7x, R580) and SM4ish rethinks (G80, R600). If that's the case, SLI as an upgrade option doesn't look too tempting. If you need SLI power now, though, well, it certainly isn't a bad choice, just an expensive one.

X1800 Xfire won't have a resolution limit, thanks to dual-link TDMS. 20x15@70-85Hz (depending on whether you read Dave's words or ATI's PR pic in B3D's preview) should suffice for most displays. Just consider that XFire Master Cards may not be as discounted as regular ones.

19. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

Pete, you've read too that adjusting your gamma solves that stuff.. anyway.. it's only the extreme samples like HL2's phonelines in which nv wins the day..

20. Sxotty

Veteran

I was never particularly impressed with the gamma corrected AA actually. I mentioned it way back in the 9800-x800 transition it just looked funny on anything that was like a power line. I realize it may not bother you, but for me is sucked b/c it is where it is most importance ot have good AA.