7 days to Fallout3 info

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Operation Mindcrime, May 29, 2007.

1. BByte

Newcomer

2. KimB

Legend

3. Zaphod

Zaphod Remember
    Veteran

Come on man don't hold back. A tiny little bit is still infinitely more than nothing. And meaningful NPC interaction in Oblivion? Were there any that didn't either involve playing asinine minigame to get what you needed no matter what, or weren't just as set of canned responses destined to reach exactly the same conclusion no matter what? What are they going for this time? More convoluted paths for any character to get to the same result no matter what?

4. Cheezdoodles

Veteran

If they do something similar to this, game is going to be butchered by all Fallout fans.

5. Zaphod

Zaphod Remember
    Veteran

And deservedly so. As far as being a RPG (well, at least posing as one) goes, the main problem with Oblivion was that there were no possibility of expressing your own character through dialogue. Some of the NPCs had a bit of character themselves and somewhat interesting tales to tell, but that doesn't count as interaction in my view any more than turning a page in a book does.

Still, some of the things they are saying hold some promise, so I won't entirely be going on a Fallout 3 bashing rampage just yet[*]. Probably won't hand over my money without reading some user reviews first either, though.

[*]And I do think some of those who do are overreacting to/nitpicking at much of the information out there. There are enough big reasons to believe Bethesda isn't going to pull this one off for there to be any need to pop a vein over the inconsequential ones...

6. Cheezdoodles

Veteran

Yup. I hated pressing a [Topic] and NPC just keeps rambling on about some random quest related stuff. No interaction at all, except the stupidest and most boring minigame i have ever seen

7. Zaphod

Zaphod Remember
    Veteran

NMA gets to preview Fallout 3?!

The Bethesda 'security screening procedures' must be slipping... :lol:

Fallout 3 preview.
    Fallout 3 QA.

8. Mummy

Regular

I particularly liked this part

Note that SuAside saw the demo together with a group including GameInformer and Gamespy reporters, who laughed at all the right moments and applauded at the end. Brother None was in a more unfriendly audience, only one of whom occasionally guffawed at the jokes, and no applause given.

9. PARANOiA

Veteran

10. L233

Veteran

Just variations of crap we've seen before. It doesn't feel like the Wasteland and that blurry mess screenshot... is that one of the "cool" exploding cars that FO3 will feature?

Edit:
    Oh, wait... there are more screenshots, they've taken them down and replaced them with old ones for some reason. NMA has the new ones. More green Ork mutants. Nothing interesting here.

I'll check back when the there is more substantial info on the features that really matter in the minds of Bethesda, the average Oblivion fan and game media retards:

- drinking water out of toilets
    - dialogues that don't matter and therefor don't "penalize" anyone
    - exploding nuclear car engines
    - nuking shanty towns for no good reason
    - handheld mini-nuke catapults
    - ZOMG BEHEMOTH !!!1
    - unkillable NPCs so the tards can't mess up
    - general rape of Fallout game lore
    - tons of more Bethesda goodness

#190 L233, Jan 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2008
  11. SugarCoat

Veteran

Bethesda has done a nice job on the CE thats for sure.

Vault Boy Bobblehead: Enjoy your very own Vault Boy with this collector’s item direct from Vault-Tec.
    The Art of Fallout 3: This hardcover book features nearly 100 pages of never-before seen concept art and commentary from Bethesda Game Studios artists.
    The Making of Fallout 3: Get an exclusive, inside look at Bethesda Game Studios and the team behind the game with this special DVD.
    Vault-Tec Lunch Box: The entire package comes in a fully customized metal lunchbox.

A lot better than some crappy poster and oversized retail box with extra glitter

Lunch Box
    Bobble Head

i posted this in the console game secion and no one gave a damn, maybe some of you will appriciate it more.

12. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

This is a great collector's item for Fallout fans.

Captain Obvious says "An art book is only as good as the art itself." While the pieces that went public range from reasonable to good it's a far cry from the art needed to fill 100 pages so this could be a good item or it could suck.

If this is twice as better than Oblivion's Making Of feature in the Oblivion CE then it will still suck so I'm not really hoping for much here.

This is quite a good item.

Fallout was bred on the PC, it's only natural the unwashed heathens are unaware of it or worse, dismiss it. :razz:

13. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Thank you I appreciate it! :2 thumbs up:

I will definitely get the collectors edition, I was satisfied with the Oblivion CE and looking at this one I will be it to with this one. i like how they are beefy and has lots of stuff/quality stuff instead of garbage.
    Maybe I should clarify what I mean with 'garbage'. Crysis CE, garbage becouse all you get is some tiny 20 cent artbook and a papper saying you get to unlock a vechicle in mp => me sad (OK any Crysis fan dont shread me up, I got a music DVD to with it but....). Stalker/Oblivion, tasty packets with nice box, books/objects, maps etc etc => me happy.

14. Richard

Veteran

This bit of CE info (thanks SugarCoat) rekindled my interest in the game so I went looking for previews and so on and I see gems like this:

Yes, it could show us that. It could also show us how often Pete Hines plays the game.

15. Daozang

Regular

Now that's funny!!!
    It's pretty obvious that there is no dismissal in this thread whatsoever :)
    After all this game will either be bad or the worst ever ;)

Sorry, had to say it!!! :)

16. Frank

Frank Certified not a majority
    Veteran

I just read the whole post, and I want it. But then again, I wanted Oblivion and BioShock just as bad, and wasn't impressed with those after the first rush had gone.

Please don't make it suck!

:grin:

17. KimB

Legend

Well, here's what I think on Fallout 3 and it sucking/rocking:

First, I seriously, seriously doubt it's going to be good in the same way that Fallout 1 and 2 were good. It's a completely different dev team, with a very different set of game-making experiences. So I think that anybody who goes into Fallout 3, who is also a fan of the previous Fallout's, and is looking for the same sort of an experience, is going to do themselves a disservice.

Personally, I think the best hope to enjoy this game is to think of it not as a spiritual successor to the Fallout series, but instead as a new, rather different sort of game set in the same universe. I expect it's going to have its strengths as well as its weaknesses, and the best chance of enjoying it would come from getting the most out of the game's strengths.

For example, Oblivion has the strength that the game can be played in a wide variety of different ways. There are five major quest lines (main, fighter, mage, thief, dark brotherhood), each of which can be thought of as a game in and of itself. There are a multitude of different sorts of characters you can play. And there are a bunch of rather varied side quests that can be completed, as well as some rather fun end-game optimization (characters with 100% reflect damage and 100% absorb magic can be rather fun). And all of that is before we even get to the modifications, which can transform the game into an entirely different experience.

Does it have its weaknesses? Most definitely. This seems to be the way of Bethesda. They go for games with truly epic scope, and they end up cutting corners in certain ways in the process. So I think we should expect Fallout 3 to have some pretty significant drawbacks, but, if their past games are any judge, it should also offer some things that no other game out there offers, such that it's still worth playing, provided you play to its strengths.

P.S. As for Bioshock, I thought that was a really good game. But the whole copy protection issue left a really bad taste in my mouth, so I don't really want to play it ever again.

18. Richard

Veteran

There's a difference between dismissing the game because of its PC legacy and dismissing the game because it goes against its PC legacy. I was referring to the former.