690G problems

I have an AM2 motherboard from Asus, M2N-VM HDMI, and everything works just fine on the basic install. However, when i try and install ATi/AMD's driver package and catalyst drivers everything gets screwed up.

I'm running a fully up to date Win 64 Bit OS and all hardware is detected and working, These drivers are the only thing wrong with it. The driverspack is called:

7-9_xp64_dd_ccc_enu_52443.exe

What happens is that the install completes and when the computer restarts the screen is in 8bit color mode and 800*600 resolution. When i try and open the display options and choose a new resolution and bit depth it gives me an error message saying that the computer is now running on the basic VGA drivers because something went wrong. Catalyst control centre installs and works but says my drivers are either to old or the device is not recognized.

My computer specs are:

ASUS M2N-VM HDMI motherboard
AMD X2 6000+
2Gb ddr800mhz ram
160gb hdd with a windows partition taking up 10gb
350gb hdd

The motherboard has an intergrated X1250 graphics chip with memory settings set to Auto on the motherboard.

Should i supply any more information? Anyone have a solution?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an AM2 motherboard from Asus, M2N-VM HDMI, and everything works just fine on the basic install. However, when i try and install ATi/AMD's driver package and catalyst drivers everything gets screwed up.

I'm running a fully up to date Win 64 Bit OS and all hardware is detected and working, These drivers are the only thing wrong with it. The driverspack is called:

7-9_xp64_dd_ccc_enu_52443.exe

What happens is that the install completes and when the computer restarts the screen is in 8bit color mode and 800*600 resolution. When i try and open the display options and choose a new resolution and bit depth it gives me an error message saying that the computer is now running on the basic VGA drivers because something went wrong. Catalyst control centre installs and works but says my drivers are either to old or the device is not recognized.

My computer specs are:

ASUS M2N-VM HDMI motherboard
AMD X2 6000+
2Gb ddr800mhz ram
160gb hdd with a windows partition taking up 10gb
350gb hdd

The motherboard has an intergrated X1250 graphics chip with memory settings set to Auto on the motherboard.

Should i supply any more information? Anyone have a solution?

Maybe i got it wrong, but isn't the motherboard nomenclature wrong ?
M2N usually means it has an Nvidia chipset, while M2A tells you it's an ATI one. ;)
Yours is probably the M2A-VM HDMI, no ?

Also, are you running Windows XP 64bit ? Because that's what the reference gives us, while you've only mentioned "Win 64 Bit OS" (may mean that you have "Vista 64bit" installed in your computer, for example...).
Don't forget the drivers in each case are different and incompatible between them.

Go to add/remove software and uninstall the video drivers and reboot. After restarting run the install again but when you get to the screen that gives you a chose to express install or custom install pick custom install and only allow the video drivers to install then restart again and see if that fixes the problem.

.Net 2 and 3 is installed, a peculier thing is that when i install it and chose not to restart the control centre and everything works like a charm. But on the first reboot it breaks.

There is only one driver for my graphics card. And that was a typo in my first post :oops:

Here is the new 7.10 drivers so try this and see if it will work.
Looks like I can't link to it but its on the download page on AMD's website.

Back