6800GT Feedback

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Randell, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Randell

Randell Senior Daddy
    Veteran

Does anyone have this card? It looks a good buy price wise (16 pipes after all, and cheaper than a x800Pro in the UK). How are the drivers now? Performance?

I'm, fed up with AI's lucklustre LCD support - so might consider this if the dx9 performance is improving etc.

2. Tahir2

Veteran

Don;t have one but did test a 6800... I was impressed... the 6800 is a little slower than the X800 Pro but a lot cheaper. The 6800GT looks like a good product.

ATI needs something to plug the gap of the £199-£249 market ASAP IMHO.

3. Randell

Randell Senior Daddy
    Veteran

9800Pro is doing very well in the sub £200 bracket at the moment!

4. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Is the GT expected to be generally faster than the X800PRO?

5. Evildeus

Veteran

6. kyleb

Veteran

generally at lower res and image quality settings, while the x800pro generally is a bit faster at higher settings. at least that is what i have seen.

7. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Oh I thought it was the other way around with the GT pulling away more at higher res. :?:

8. KimB

Legend

Well, to get a feel of performance, look at the memory bandwidth vs. fillrate numbers.

If you compare, for example, the GeForce 6800 Ultra vs. Radeon X800 XT, you'll notice that they have about the same memory bandwidth, but the XT has more fillrate. What this results in is that in memory bandwidth-limited situations, the two are about the same. In fillrate-limited situations, the XT tends to pull ahead.

Now, shader-heavy games are typically going to be more fillrate-limited than bandwidth-limited. So, the X800 XT will typically come ahead in these titles, at least for now. There are two other things to consider, however:

1. Future titles may gain some efficiency on the 6800 Ultra by using PS 3.0, leveling the playing field some.
    2. The 6800 Ultra is a brand-new architecture, whereas the R420 is almost identical to the R3xx before it, so there's almost certainly more room to grow in drivers with the 6800 Ultra.

If the rumors are true, the R420 stands to gain most by a new programmable memory controller that could be optimized in future drivers, whereas the NV40 stands most to gain by making the shader compiler more efficient. Therefore, I would expect that while right now the X800 is faster for more shader-heavy games, and the 6800 Ultra is as fast/faster for older, fixed-function games, in the future these video cards will be much closer to one another in both situations (with the X800 XT possibly pulling ahead in older games), possibly with the roles actually switching.

Edit:
    I only remembered offhand the performance between the Radeon X800 XT and GeForce 6800 Ultra. I did a little bit of looking, and it looks to me like the GeForce 6800 GT is typically as fast (in shader-heavy games) or faster (in older games) than the X800 Pro, so I would expect that as drivers improve, the GT will pull ahead.

9. jvd

jvd
    Banned

on testing here the 6800gt is slower in farcry (by as much as 30%) when forced with the r3x0 path than the x800pro is .

Both output the same image quality though with the 6800gt forced to look like a radeon .

So i dunno about the shader limited games. That seems to be alot for the cards to make up.

10. Randell

Randell Senior Daddy
    Veteran

yeah my thoughts as well. And those 16 pipes should help with AA etc, especially if it clocks well with good memory, plus better OGL, plus better LCD support + SSAA on older games.

My LCD is 1280x1024 so I don't need to worry too much about 1200x1200 x 4xAA/16xAF.

Still none available so it's a way off yet anyway.

11. pharma

Veteran Regular

New 6800 GT Preview at Guru3D.com tells the "tale of the tape" between the 6800 GT and the X800 Pro. 6800 GT is definitely the card to buy ... :D In some benchies it outshines the x800 XT PE!

http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/135/

12. jvd

jvd
    Banned

not for farcry .

with af 16x its closer to the ultra than the gt.

Wonder why the aa wasn't consistant between the cards though. Would have been nice to see it.

13. pharma

Veteran Regular

However, at 8x it's (800Pro) about the same with the 6800 GT in the FarCry bench.

It's interesting to note that the Shader 2 tests indicate Nvidia enabled support for Shader 23 in the 61.34 Drivers.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/135/14/

14. jvd

jvd
    Banned

why would i buy a 350-400$ video card and play with 8x aniso ?

I also want to know why there are no fsaa results . I don't get thier excuse ? What was the problem with the numbers ?

15. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Hmmmm well besides the 2 fps loss to the X800PRO in FarCry at 16xAF the GT seems to blow it away consistently. Surprisingly it even won most of the Shadermark tests that it supports and some by a very significant margin. Can't wait for the reviews of retail cards. The GT is lookin sexy :D

16. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Given ATI's past shader dominance and the higher fillrate on the X800PRO I expected it to dominate the GT but so far it seems that it may be quite the opposite..... :?

17. jvd

jvd
    Banned

isn't it about equal ? 5700 vs 5600 ?

besides farcry over at firingsquad shows a diffrent picture (even when rendering the nv3x path)
    http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_6800_ultra_extreme/page21.asp

here the x800pro is on par with the 6800ultra . Sometimes its on part with the 6800ultra extreme

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_6800_ultra_extreme/page17.asp

in unreal it takes a bit but as the res goes higher the x800s start to out perform cards in thier price range
    http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_6800_ultra_extreme/page13.asp

looks the the x800pro kicks all of the 6800s in tomb radier .

they are older drivers though 61.11 but then again the x800s are older drivers too

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_6800_performance_and_overclocking/page17.asp

here with newer drivers you can see with fsaa and aniso the x800pro is more of a match for the ultra and not the gt

not impressed with either of these reviews. I don't like when people say oh here i threw this in , or oh something was fishy so we didn't run it and not go further in it. I also don't like when they leave out modes from review to review like firingsquad did .

18. Sazar

Newcomer

if they are in the same price bracket the GT may well end up being the better buy... it has more pipelines which is the primary advantage...

teh higher clocks of the PRO help it out quite a bit in the benches and its a good card given it has "only" 12 pipes... :)

doubt one could go wrong with either product... for the mere fact it has 16 pipes and oc'ing headroom perhaps the GT noses ahead...

19. jvd

jvd
    Banned

I like the fact that the gt can do a quad where the pro can't

HOwerver i can get my sisters x800pros up to 580mhz with the stock cooling.

My fathers gt stops at 438

20. Evildeus

Veteran

:? :? I think you should reconsider your "however". Sure the "580" is a big number, but the GT has a better OC in your case 8) +25% vs +22% ;)
    580/475=1.22
    438/350=1.25.