64k demo scene

yep its amazing what those demo guys can do
especially since weve just seen the first 50+ gb pc game (to my knowledge not including flightgear and its scenery files)

Most impressive!
Brings back memories of excellent old classics like Zoom3, Panic Room, Candytron, etc.

I love good old demo or intro :devilish:

One problem with this one is it doesn't yet work on Radeon cards due to lacking OpenGL 4.3. I hope next driver release will fix that!!

OpenGL? They're not writing straight to video memory?

Noobs!

I assume that at some point in time (wild guess: 15 years ago?), demos started using GPU hardware and drivers and these newfangled shader stuff, instead of directly writing to memory, but that was after I stopped following the demo scene...

That's a 3D rendered demo innit, not software rasterized.

Btw, I still have this old DOS-era, entirely CPU-driven demo called 303, by "Acme and people". It was mighty cool in its day, but hasn't worked on any of my PCs for aaages and ages. It pokes straight at soundblaster hardware registers and stuff like that, so wonks right out if it doesn't find what it expects. I guess Dosbox could make it work, but I've had terrible success with dosbox performance even on modern PCs so I've avoided even trying...

Most impressive!
Brings back memories of excellent old classics like Zoom3, Panic Room, Candytron, etc.

I love good old demo or intro :devilish:

One problem with this one is it doesn't yet work on Radeon cards due to lacking OpenGL 4.3. I hope next driver release will fix that!!

The latest beta drivers include OpenGL 4.4 support so I'm assuming so.

OpenGL? They're not writing straight to video memory?

Noobs!
It certainly was fun during dos era..;)
Only limiting things were power and imagination.
I assume that at some point in time (wild guess: 15 years ago?), demos started using GPU hardware and drivers and these newfangled shader stuff, instead of directly writing to memory, but that was after I stopped following the demo scene...
Yup.

Things were kind of stale at the beginning of GPU era, but happily GPUs are quite programmable and things are looking a lot better. (proper ray traced demos etc.)

The latest beta drivers include OpenGL 4.4 support so I'm assuming so.

Yes, the new driver does and this 64k intro loads further, but then glitches just after loading screen ...
So few more months and AMD will get it, or intro coder will make AMD version.

Yes, the new driver does and this 64k intro loads further, but then glitches just after loading screen ...
So few more months and AMD will get it, or intro coder will make AMD version.

Same here. But then, Geforce 337.50 breaks The Timeless as well, you have to use an older driver version.

Same here. But then, Geforce 337.50 breaks The Timeless as well, you have to use an older driver version.

So nVidia regressed their OpenGL implementation or is this intro relaying on some kind of one off bug in the driver?
I would love to run this intro in real time on my PC, but I have my doubt it will ever do ...

Might as well be due to a bug in the demo, those things are notoriously hackish in nature...

Back