5870x2 photos

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by cloudol, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Fallacy

Newcomer

Since a 5870 consumes up to 150-160 Watt in Games and up to 200 Watt in Furmark, Power-Consumption will be an very interesting topic on this. With one 6-pin and one 8-pin, it isnt allowed to consume more than 300 Watts. But i´m pretty sure, that at least in Furmark the card will exceed the specs.

2. Wesker

Newcomer

I stopped using Furmark a long time ago, due to the fact that it is as AMD describes as a "power virus".

The pressure it puts on the GPU is unrealistic and will never happen in a game. My 4890 didn't crash, despite being overclocked and overvolted, but I just fail to see the justification in using Furmark.

I now use 20-30 Crysis benchmark runs at max settings with AA to check for stability.

3. thambos

Newcomer

4. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Fu... what a monster and it's black to.

5. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

At least if you go out to buy it and get mugged on the way back, you can use it to knock the guy out...

6. thambos

Newcomer

7. Pressure

Veteran Regular

Hello Mr. Blurry Cam...

8. Tchock

Regular

5850X2 looks like it could slice cake.

Duoorb cooling worries me slightly- what about the RAM?

9. ShaidarHaran

ShaidarHaran hardware monkey
    Veteran

Either the RAM ICs don't need cooling or they have small heatsinks which are obscured by the GPU HSF. FWIW I have a DuOrb on my 8800 GT which comes with very small heatsinks for the RAM ICs and they don't even get warm to the touch. I know, GDDR3 vs. GDDR5 so it's not an apples-to-apples comparison but I can't say I've really heard of or seen modern GDDR overheat.