51Risc 6600 GPU?

Those are repurposed Radeon 6600M GPUs. Tons of them on AliExpress and Taobao, they've been selling them for quite some time. There's a pretty wide range in configurations/vBIOS, some of them show up as a desktop RX 6600 and some as an RX 6600m in GPU-Z. Some have some shaders fused off, some don't. Some seem to be configured with the mobile chip TDP, some seem configured with the desktop chip's default TDP.

Some have variable speed fans, some don't, and just run at a mostly fixed speed like a card of 15 years ago.

I think I even saw a few of them where they had some sort of strange vBIOS installed that made it so you could only use the unsigned drivers the Chinese seller sent you via dropbox, although the sellers seem to have largely gotten that problem sorted.

Warranty, particularly for the fans are going to be one issue.

Forgot to mention in my original post that the general consensus is that the fans are the weak point, and some sellers just scrape together as many ewaste used GPU coolers they can find, blow them out with an air compressor, and slap them on the PCBs and ship them.

The random coolers is likely why they didn't bother with proper variable fan speed either, as each fan reacts differently, has different minimum voltage thresholds, maybe they have PWM support and maybe they don't, maybe they have a tachometer feedback pin and maybe they don't. So they just shove 12V and ground to whatever cooler they find in the bin and say it's a functioning GPU and call it a day.

Not saying these are a scam necessarily, I'm pretty sure if you bought that from Newegg you'd receive a GPU that accepts standard AMD drivers and performs like a 6600m ought to. :) Just saying there's a reason that they're cheap and the price reflects that.

Out of the blue today I decided to pull the trigger and order myself one of these since my poor RX 580 is seriously working its nuts off constantly just to barely get enough frames out. Went to order it and couldn't find it ANYWHERE, it's like it disappeared. Anyone know the story? (Not the 6600M, the actual 6600 one)

BTW, the mysterious lack of availability absolutely killed the impulse purchase in me. Give it a month, I'll be able to get something better for >$200us. :)

Wish you luck, card prices are horrendous imho

Are you aware of this
like the 6600 XT, the non-XT version is limited to PCIe 4.0 x8 bandwidth. So when installed in a PCIe 4.0 system this is a non-issue, but performance related problems could arise when installed in a system that only supports PCIe 3.0, which currently is most systems.

This is because when using PCIe 4.0, the RX 6600 series connects to the CPU using a 16GB/s link which is sufficient for modern graphics cards as that's what you get with PCIe 3.0 x16. However, when limited to an x8 interface, the bandwidth for a PCIe 3.0 system is reduced to just 8 GB/s, and we found in the past this can heavily limit performance, especially when fetching data from system memory.

Back