$500 ethernet cable unethical? yes

Discussion in 'Politics & Ethics of Technology' started by Scott_Arm, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Scott_Arm

Legend

I read through some old audio critic articles every once in a while. The basic idea is that all well designed amps will sound indistinguishable, all CD players will sound indistinguishable, expensive interconnects are worthless and the only real place to spend real money is on speakers.

http://theaudiocritic.com/blog/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=33&blogId=1

2. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

3. MfA

MfA
    Legend

Depends on how much of their revenue depends on advertising from manufacturers.

4. pocketmoon66

Newcomer

5. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

I selected A. At the beginning when he ramps up his voice and the strings really kick in, if you listen closely there are some harmonics, I kinda hear them as a subtle high-frequency whine (it has a "bump" too, damn I wish I was better in articulating this stuff), that sound better in clip A than in B. That was my reasoning for choosing A over B.

6. Davros

Legend

i found a review of an amp on that audiocritic site has a certain company had to moonlight to make ends meet :D
    [​IMG]

7. chroniceyestrain

Newcomer

I don't think businesses should be allowed to behave like this.

8. Bludd

Veteran

9. Scott_Arm

Legend

10. Bludd

Veteran

The best part is when employees and the owner of the company enters the thread. One employee is rude and basically admits that the cables that were prizes in a giveaway competition were basically shit and that the retail cables were much better, without corroborating that claim whatsoever.

11. Davros

Legend

someone also talks about a £600 high end cd player, upon further examination turned out to be a rebadged budget pioneer model

12. Scott_Arm

Legend

I have a $600CAD CD player, and I'm sure even that is completely unnecessary. I'll probably never upgrade my stereo components again. The only thing I'll invest money in is speakers and headphones. Well, maybe a surround sound receiver eventually, but I'm kind of a two-channel analog guy.

13. Davros

Legend

are you sure its not really a rebranded $50 pioneer :D

14. Scott_Arm

Legend

Surprising, I'm actually sure it's not, but I'll definitely be more skeptical of "high-end" gear from now on. I have a Cambridge Audio 640C that I bought on sale. Normally it retails around $600CAD here. Anyway, in the store the demo units actually have a clear casing on top, so you can see the internals. Maybe they did this so people would know it's not a rebranded pioneer? Anyway, I doubt it's much different than a $100 player, and any of the differences would probably be so subtle that I wouldn't notice. Impulse buy along with a matching amplifier. I would have been better off putting that extra money into speakers.

15. Npl

Npl
    Veteran

Doh, apart from dissecting a cable, couldnt anyone figure out that the last 2-3m Cable really make no difference when there are 100s of meters of cable through your house (and the path to the real powersource/voltage-converter is kilometers)? How can anyone pay 150$ for such crap...

16. Freak'n Big Panda

Regular

This is slightly OT but where do you think the weakest link is in the following setup:

2 x Turntables (cheap $55 needles) -> Analogue Vestax PMC-05 Mixer -> Cheap china town cables -> Line in on PC (integrated realtek AC'97) -> Logitech Z5500 Speakers

I read the audio critic article saying that most setups are limited by the speakers relatively weak ability to reproduce an input signal but I'm not sure if the author was including turntables in that statement which are far less accurate than CD players.

17. Bludd

Veteran

Maybe the line-in to the AC97.

18. Freak'n Big Panda

Regular

Hmm I would have figured the line in would have been pretty accurate but I'll test going directly into the speakers tonight. If it improves the sound I'll pick up an x-fi or something comparable.

19. Scott_Arm

Legend

Probably the cartridge on the turntable and the speakers, but more-so the speakers. You can get a number of very good quality cartridges at reasonable prices(sub $100) from Grado or Shure. Those needles will break if you try to spin the record backwards, so they aren't suitable for djing. The line-in on the soundcard probably isn't the greatest.

It really doesn't matter unless you're not happy with the way it sounds.

20. Freak'n Big Panda

Regular

I'm using these carts:

http://www.stantondj.com/v2/cartridge/cartridges_500v3.php

I've been DJing with them for a few months now without issue, although I'm just mixing. No scratching going on or anything that's really hard on the needles. Anyways I guess this question has already been answered but I want to confirm for my specific case. There's no way the cheap cabling is limiting the sound quality right?