50% more for 4870... worth it?

So I'm going to be buying either a 4850 or 4870 very soon but I'm really torn as to which one to go for.... the bandwidth is really lacking on the 4850 board but performance in games only seems to be about 20-25% lower. The question is will this gap widen in the future because of the huge bandwidth discrepancy or will it always hover around the 20-20% mark? Obviously 50% more cost for 25% more performance doesn't make sense from a price to performance standpoint.

Also is it worth it waiting around for 1GB boards? Or will 512 be fine until R870 (probably when I will upgrade next)?

Just give it a few weeks. There's currently a price premium being put on the 4870 due to constrained supply and high demand. In some places it's well above RRP, and I've seen prices up to 25 % difference between the usual discount e-tailers.

IMO ATI were forced to launch a little earlier than originally intended due to everything going on around the 4850/4870 launch and Nvidia's responses, and they would really like to have done a little more stockpiling.

The cards are out there, but the launch madness is making them more expensive than they should be. I expect things to calm down in a couple of weeks.

It is always disproportionately expensive to buy top end.

I used to do it, but then I made a conscious decision not to. I am happy with my decision as I was able to get other things I like more that last more than a year (such as a wonderful mountain bike).

Buy yourself the least inexpensive HD4850 you can find today. Reweigh your options in a month to see if you want a HD4870 or HD4870X2 and how much you can sell the 4850 for. Any money lost (if any at all) in the resell can be viewed as equipment rental or entertainment expense to enjoy the goodness now.

so I got my 4850! funny thing tho.. it seems sapphire is still using the installation guide stickers from the 9700 series. on the packaging it tells you to plug in a 3 pin floppy connector.

so I got my 4850! funny thing tho.. it seems sapphire is still using the installation guide stickers from the 9700 series. on the packaging it tells you to plug in a 3 pin floppy connector.
I knew most consumers don't read manuals, but I didn't know the manufacturers don't read them either. :smile:

I don't know if NewEgg ships to Canada, but TR's deal of the week is a 4850 for about $155 after $20 rebate at NewEgg. This is the second 4850 I've heard of being ~$150 since launch (the first being the Visionteks at Best Buy b/c of a probably unintended coupon aligning with an early launch). Kinda makes the 4870 seem grossly overpriced--ATM. Not too shabby for the impatient, even if you discount the rebate.

Edit: I don't know how I missed CNCa's post, or that Panda had already bought his card.

I don't know if NewEgg ships to Canada, but TR's deal of the week is a 4850 for about $155 after $20 rebate at NewEgg. This is the second 4850 I've heard of being ~$150 since launch (the first being the Visionteks at Best Buy b/c of a probably unintended coupon aligning with an early launch). Kinda makes the 4870 seem grossly overpriced--ATM. Not too shabby for the impatient, even if you discount the rebate.

Edit: I don't know how I missed CNCa's post, or that Panda had already bought his card.

The 4870 is the flagship product at the moment, so it is of course over-priced. Also, they're supply-constrained because of GDDR5 production so prices are remaining around MSRP, whereas 4850 was stockpiled for weeks prior to launch.

I don't think the 4870 is mispriced at all. It's not officially out yet and once it is we should see similiar deals. What the 4850 is doing now is scooping up all those sales from people who might have been considering a G92b card. It's going to cannibalize potential 4870 sales too but I don't think AMD minds that much......

I don't think the 4870 is mispriced at all. It's not officially out yet and once it is we should see similiar deals. What the 4850 is doing now is scooping up all those sales from people who might have been considering a G92b card. It's going to cannibalize potential 4870 sales too but I don't think AMD minds that much......

Over-priced compared to the competition? By no means whatseover.

Over-priced compared to the perf. gains over 4850? Yes.

Still a great buy though, and I'd take a 4870 over a 4850 even given the massive street price differential. Although, one could make quite the compelling argument for 2x4850 CFX at the same price as a single 4870 ;)

Back