5 becomes 6...

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Neeyik, Jan 18, 2006.

1. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Frontpaged. Thanks Neeyik, I think I actually beat Hanners this time! :shock:

2. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

Ah, BF2:SF and EQ2 VPU recover error fixes.

Very nice. :)

3. see colon

see colon All Ham & No Potatos
    Veteran

and i just downloaded the 5.13's early this mourning....

good thing i hadn't gotten around to installing them yet. i think i'll run 3dmark06 first and see if they make a difference.

4. SugarCoat

Veteran

6.1 should increase SM2.0 performance in 3Dmark06 by 6-8% over 5.12 and 5.13 on at least on the X1800 cards

5. Joe DeFuria

Legend

Will ATI ever learn to release drivers with significant performance increases before the launch and publication of benchmarks? ;)

6. willardjuice

willardjuice super willyjuice
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

Is this .net 2.0 friendly (I hope :???: )? I really don't like sitting at Cat 5.7 (the best for source outside 5.12/5.13) and want to take advantage of multi-threaded support. Here's to hoping...

7. Deathlike2

Regular

I don't understand all this .NET 2.0 not working nonsense.. since installing it.. everything has been working just fine (barring a bugs people find). I could only swear that some people's comps have messed up Windows installs or no Windows reinstalls in excess of a year...

.NET 2.0 works fine.... and I didn't have to install it ontop of 1.1

#8 Deathlike2, Jan 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2006
  8. Spaceman-Spiff

Regular

9. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

What does the "about" window in CCC say about your .Net version?

10. Deathlike2

Regular

Do you need like a pic to go with that?

Oh, I am using the 6.1 drivers currently... 5.13 worked just fine under .NET 2.0

11. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

I belive you if you've checked. It's just that Net 1 gets installed with the service packs, so if you've installed that, Net 1 should be there too. The only reason I query it is that without 1.1 installed, CCC will not run for me at all, and based on what CatMaker has said, this is the way it is supposed to work. .Net apps are supposed to be tied to a specific version of .Net.

12. Deathlike2

Regular

You mean XP service packs? That's probably what just might be causing the problems (it may be in conjunction to some thing in XP that keeps backups of files, I forget what it is called). I'm using Win2K if that matters.

Before I installed .NET 2.0, I uninstalled .NET 1.1 and its service packs and some .NET 1.1 security update (and then the obligatory reboot).

What you may need to make sure, when no .NET software is installed is to check whether the folder C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET exists. (C:\WINNT just happens to be the default Windows folder.) If it exists, you delete it.

When I uninstalled .NET 1.1 for the small time that I did, I did get an error message when the CCC was trying to load.. but that went away after installing .NET 2.0.

#13 Deathlike2, Jan 19, 2006
  13. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Not to worry, Joe. My sm2 score soared (sored? :smile: ) from 1355 to 1363 on my X1800xl AIW. That's with an X2 4200 @4600 speeds and 2GB RAM.

14. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Yeah, I did all that before, but with only .NET 2.0 installed, CCC behaves exactly as if there is no .NET of any type installed - just crashes on startup.

15. Deathlike2

Regular

You running XP?

The only thing I can think of is a bad XP install or something... or perhaps .NET 1.1 need to have been installed and uninstalled before .NET 2.0 (something leftover in .NET 1.1 is still installed for some reason allow for .NET 2.0 to work with the CCC, I've yet to do it, but I'm not planning to reinstall Windows anytime soon).

Then again, ATI may have fixed the CCC .NET 2.0 bug (well, that in itself needs a confirmation).

16. Star_Hunter

Newcomer

I just uninstalled .net 1.1 with with 2.0 already installed and 6.1 seems to be working fine with 2.0. I am going to end up reformating in a few days so I will see then if the 6.1s are using a left over part of 1.1 although I doubt it.

17. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Yeah, XP. I've unistalled both 1.1 and 2.0, wiped every trace of it out, uninstalled the CCC, etc, I only install .Net 2.0 and CCC then won't start as if .NET is not installed at all. The weird thing is that seem to be how CatMaker says it should work. CCC is a 1.1 app and apps are supposed to be tied to their version of .NET. It shouldn't work with 2.0, yet there are people like yourself who says it works with no problems for them.

18. Deathlike2

Regular

Well.. it seems to me that 2 polls need to be run. These polls are only for those that got it working for .NET 2.0

What OS are they using (service pack is probably an important detail)?
    How did you install .NET 2.0 (did you uninstall 1.1 before installing 2.0, did you install 2.0 on a clean install of Windows, did you already have CCC installed when doing the .NET change, did you install .NET 2.0 via Windows Update or the redistrubutable... etc. etc.) The second question does require the voter to explain if necessary how they got it working.

Oh.. I have a question.. how did you install .NET 2.0... Windows Update or the redistributable... I use the redistributable.

What OS are you running? Also, how did you install .NET 2.0? Windows Update or the redistributable?

#19 Deathlike2, Jan 19, 2006
  19. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

I used the redist too. 2.0 originally first went over a .NET 1 that had been updated to 1.1 and security fixes.