4K monitor Freesync refresh interval

Gubbi

Veteran
I'm looking to buy a FreeSync monitor and would like to have as high a resolution as possible for work, and as high refresh rate as possible for games. I've been looking at 4K monitors which all have limited FreeSync capability (typically 40-60Hz) because of the high resolution and the limitations of displayport.

I was wondering if anyone here knows if 4K monitors (such as the Samsung U28E590D) supports higher refresh rates at lower resolution.

Cheers

As far as I know there aren't any monitors currently able to do that. I've heard that some Seiki TVs can... Might have to wait for displayport 3 models to get that feature.

Yeah there's some Korean 2nd tier monitor makers that offer overdrive (higher than 60hz) at 1080p or lower, but it's hit and miss as to whether the monitor actually does it correctly or whether it just pretends to do it by skipping/dropping frames.

Regards,
SB

Thanks guys, I'm going with two monitors, getting a 27" 144Hz TN Freesync for fun, and a high def display for work.

Cheers

Why aren't all adaptive sync monitors supporting low refresh rates like 25-30 Hz?

The other day I saw a Freesync monitor that had a variable refresh rate between 50 and 75Hz. 50Hz is completely ridiculous IMO.

I'm happy with my 35-90Hz range on ASUS MG279 but 30-144Hz would be better.
Oh, and can I add that after using Freesync enabled, high refresh rate monitor there is no going back? :devilish:

Buying my 27'' ASUS allowed me to skip at least 2 generations of GPU's! It's really this awesome :runaway:

I looking into getting an either 1440p or 4K IPS monitor. Is Gsync/Freesync really that much of an improvement? I've never seen one in person, but everyone seems to rave about it.

I looking into getting an either 1440p or 4K IPS monitor. Is Gsync/Freesync really that much of an improvement? I've never seen one in person, but everyone seems to rave about it.
No stuttering, no torn frames.
It's hard to describe but it flawlessly matches the frames so while the FPS is constantly moving it's much harder to notice unless you go from 140 to 15. Anything 60 and above you get this brilliant feeling of smoothness but more importantly at that refresh rate a lot of ghosting disappears and you get these amazing clear images when things are in motion. It's certainly much less taxing on your eyes.

What's the best [if any] freesync alternative to the Phillips BDM4065UC?
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/philips_bdm4065uc.htm

Unfortunately there aren't anything really close to that at the moment. And so far the problem with Freesync is that only the very gaming focused monitors seem to have good variable frequency range and those cost quite a bit...
I decided to forget the freesync and G-sync for now and bought a 40" curved Samsung TV, which should arrive tomorrow.

I'll attach it to my monitor arm next to my living room couch allowing me to adjust the distance and position of it freely. It will serve as my personal display for pretty much everything. I have 75" 1080P TV for stuff if other people are present.
Cant' wait to get it! This size also allows 38" 21:9 screen with 3840x1645 resolution, but I haven't really studied about possible compatibility issues yet...

Haha I always forget those Korean monitors and I had even seen that video before :oops:

Are you planning on getting one? The Freesync, even if limited would be nice and having a Displayport input in general is also nice.

Last edited:
Heh... 42", 4K, IPS [made by LG], two HDMI 2.0, 4:4:4 & Freesync [42-60]

I have their 49" version of that (UHD490). Pretty good monitor for the price. I kind of wish I'd gone for the UHD550 though as it has the passive 3D polarizing layer. You can use it with polarized glasses and 3D viewing software (force interlaced 3D) to view 3D movies. As well, my eyes aren't getting any younger, sigh.

There are other Korean 2nd tier manufacturer's like Wasabi Mango that make good monitors.

Best things with these is that unlike the Philips above it doesn't have PWM (can cause flickering when monitor is less than 100% brightness).

The flipside is you take your chances on whether you'll get stuck/dead pixels and how many since the 2nd tier monitor makers take A-/B grade panels from the panel makers. I got lucky and only had a dead green (or was it red?) subpixel on mine that is only visible on a pure white or pure green (red?) screen. And even then I have to actively look for it. Still, since I ordered the pixel perfect version, I was able to get a partial refund on my purchase price after providing photographic proof of the dead subpixel.

Regards,
SB

Philips have also just released or is releasing right about now a successor to the 40" monitor, the new one is a 43" IPS 4k monitor without PWM, so it has potential to be quite good. No word on Freesync as far I know. My new TV has PWM and I feel it... I've increased the backlight and I feel it's tolerable now, but now it's little bit brighter than I'd like. My feelings about the curve are neutral at the moment. For this size I feel it's not necessary. It's good when you sit right in the middle, but you really need to be dead center imo. I still have my eye on that Philips though. I feel like I could still er... use couple more inches...

https://pcmonitors.info/philips/philips-bdm4350uc-43-inch-4k-uhd-ips-monitor/

i have the Acer Predator XR341CK since a month now; interesting how much more expensive the Gsync version is. Happy with it, except for the lack of usability of the OSD menu.

By the way, I've no AMD card ATM and am getting by with a puny GTX 460 over HDMI. But the refresh rate for Freesync is decent for the monitor (45-75 hz IIRC) so it should be fine when I upgrade

LG has recently launched a couple of freesync monitors that are similar to the XR34 but quite a bit cheaper: 34UC88 and 34UC98.
The only difference between the two is that the 98 can be used as a thunderbolt display (mainly useful for apple users).
The 34UC88 can be found for as little as $800 in the US or 850€ in Europe. Both can have their freesync range extended to 35-75Hz too.

Cant' wait to get it! This size also allows 38" 21:9 screen with 3840x1645 resolution, but I haven't really studied about possible compatibility issues yet...

One made up monitor resolution I think of is 2880x1200. Allows playing really old games in 1600x1200 although that's kind of futile, but also nice side-by-side documents, browsers and anything. Dual link DVI could even drive it at at least 70Hz. Size might be 32"-something.

As a be-all end-all monitor I'd like it, seems better than a 2560 wide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back