4k BluRay is a bad idea. We need something better. *spawn

wco81

Legend
Nah, I want them to contribute to developing 4K Blu Ray.

You may be fine with crappy streaming media but there are many who want the best pic and sound possible.

Nah, I want them to contribute to developing 4K Blu Ray.

You may be fine with crappy streaming media but there are many who want the best pic and sound possible.
then bluray 4k is not the format for them. Its full of half measures and limitations because its based on an old format and shoe stringed to work.

It'll still be better than anything else they're likely to offer.
maybe. With 8k tvs close behind 4k tvs I will wait it out. I have about 60blurays since 2006 even if you add the hd dvds to it that would be about 150 total (most of those were bought at clearance) that is a fraction of the 2000+ dvds I own/owned and still multiple times more bluray discs than anyone else I know. Everyone else has moved on to Netflix / hulu or renting from a service like iTunes or google play or even xbox video

I would have liked a similar capacity jump as dvd to bluray. It was 4.7 to 25 gigs or a 5.3 times increase in storage space.

Bluray 4k is 66gigs on dual layer . So 16 gigs more 1.32 times more or 100 gigs on a tri layer or double the capcity of a dual layer bluray. ITs very unimpressive for a 10 year tech jump

Yes the broad market doesn't care about quality.

That is why MP3 and other lossy formats took over.

But there are some people who want the best quality possible. Who knows if 4K discs will be a viable business. I just want them to put it out and sell content for it, so there's an alternative to Netflix and Amazon 4K streams, which will probably be little better, if at all, than regular Blu-Rays.

Yes the broad market doesn't care about quality.

That is why MP3 and other lossy formats took over.

But there are some people who want the best quality possible. Who knows if 4K discs will be a viable business. I just want them to put it out and sell content for it, so there's an alternative to Netflix and Amazon 4K streams, which will probably be little better, if at all, than regular Blu-Rays.

and i'd rather they made a new better format. I guess they are saving that for 8k

maybe. With 8k tvs close behind 4k tvs I will wait it out. I have about 60blurays since 2006 even if you add the hd dvds to it that would be about 150 total (most of those were bought at clearance) that is a fraction of the 2000+ dvds I own/owned and still multiple times more bluray discs than anyone else I know. Everyone else has moved on to Netflix / hulu or renting from a service like iTunes or google play or even xbox video

I would have liked a similar capacity jump as dvd to bluray. It was 4.7 to 25 gigs or a 5.3 times increase in storage space.

Bluray 4k is 66gigs on dual layer . So 16 gigs more 1.32 times more or 100 gigs on a tri layer or double the capcity of a dual layer bluray. ITs very unimpressive for a 10 year tech jump
2006: $300, 1x speed, 50GB capacity. Replication $2 per disc.
2013: $25, 6x speed, 100GB capacity. Replication is in cents per disc.

H265 also provides 2x compression efficiency. So Bluray 4K provides a 4x improvement at a 12 times lower price compared to 2006, and it's using the same drive, supporting 100GB discs needs only a firmware update for most drives.

Most probably a niche.

Just want them to put out product for a few years before they realize it.

Otherwise the prospect of having only streamed media for 4K and HDR and better color gamut is not appealing.

2006: $300, 1x speed, 50GB capacity. Replication $2 per disc.
2013: $25, 6x speed, 100GB capacity. Replication is in cents per disc.

H265 also provides 2x compression efficiency. So Bluray 4K provides a 4x improvement at a 12 times lower price compared to 2006, and it's using the same drive, supporting 100GB discs needs only a firmware update for most drives.

So what your telling me is that they went with costs instead of an improved format. Hmm what was the other brand that went with costs and a slightly improved format but really made up its ground with a better compression tech ? Oh right HD-DVD ...

Lets face it , Bluray 4k is not where the quality is it was done as a quick and dirty cash in . It wont be long until H265 is used for everything so things like Netflix and hulu and xbox video and iTunes will get the same advantages as Bluray 4k and file sizes have been increasing as bandwidth has gone up

Bluray 4K isn't even out yet and you say it's not quality.

Compared to what? What will be better in the next year or two?

Since it's not out, there is no "quick and dirty cash in." Nobody knows how well it's even going to sell, whether the studios will release a lot of content in the format yet.

You have some crystal ball?

I am using my zen breathing technique and I am not reacting to eastmen insecurities
So what your telling me is that they went with costs instead of an improved format. Hmm what was the other brand that went with costs and a slightly improved format but really made up its ground with a better compression tech ? Oh right HD-DVD ...

Lets face it , Bluray 4k is not where the quality is it was done as a quick and dirty cash in . It wont be long until H265 is used for everything so things like Netflix and hulu and xbox video and iTunes will get the same advantages as Bluray 4k and file sizes have been increasing as bandwidth has gone up
No.

Netflix 4K is 12GB per film.
Bluray 4K is 100GB per film.

Yeah, you're onto something there. It's better to have the better format rather than the cheaper one. Like Minidisc. And SACD. And Laserdisc. There's nothing consumer respond to better than the highest quality, no costs barred solution... :yep2:

There's been so many threads about this for 10 years. Nothing changed.

Bluray is dead because...
2005: Bluray is a year late and will be too expensive at launch
2006: Holodisc is just around the corner...
2007: Most people can't see the difference with DVD
2008: HDDVD is killing bluray if you use misleading metrics, there's still a chance. I'll buy 120 hddvds, and a player.
2009: Holodisc is just around the corner...
2010: next gen won't have any physcal media, DD and streaming will kill bluray
2011: No wait, physical media is fine. Flash carts are the future, optical is dead.
2012: No wait, optical is fine. Holodisc is just around the corner...
2013: Okay, sure all 3 next gen have bluray, but the next sku will have no optical, back to DD and streaming.
2014: FLASH CARTS !!!
2015: 100GB 4K bluray is not enough for me I want 8K, so 12GB streaming is good enough.

It's the content providers, the big 7 film studios, who decide which format they want. It's never been about the consumer.

It's the content providers, the big 7 film studios, who decide which format they want. It's never been about the consumer.

They are the worst part (with their egoism and thinking about themselves only) of the human race. And the others are waiting them to show the way. What a nonsense.

I am using my zen breathing technique and I am not reacting to eastmen insecurities

No.

Netflix 4K is 12GB per film.
Bluray 4K is 100GB per film.

Netflix 2015 4k is 12GB per film. Bluray 4k doesn't actually exist as a purchasable product.

Netflix will also move over to more advanced compression tech.

Lets face it , 8k is on the horizon CES 2016 will most likely have 8k tvs at about the point 4k tvs were in 2011/12 . So 4k Bluray has a 4-5 year life cycle before people will want 8k experiances.

Bluray 4k is a stop gap and a way to wring out more money from an old format that never reached the heights of DVD. I doubt 4k bluray will even reach the sales of bluray. You claim we go through this every year , but sales of optical/physical formats keep droping and digital purchases and streaming keep rising. This time the 4k bluray will have even less time as the best solution on the market with 8k coming down the pipe quickly.

And yes 4k Netflix is enough for me because it exists and I can watch it. Its built into my living room tv. I don't need to wait another year and go out and buy another expensive optical player that will play discs that are inflated in price.

Bluray had a nice 10 year run but 4k bluray wont get that . It will be lucky to get half

Last edited:
Back