4870X2 texture flicking after S3

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Quitch, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Quitch

Veteran

I'm putting a bug report into AMD about this, but it always helps to have a thread and perhaps someone has a good fix for this.

Basically if I sleep my PC (S3) with my 4870X2 then resume and fire up a game such as Red Alert 3, there is extensive texture flickering. It's more subtle in something like Left 4 Dead, but still there around where floor meet wall. A reboot fixes the problem.

I've also found that if I disable Catalyst AI after resuming from sleep the problem is fixed, however if I disable the Catalyst AI before sleeping then launching a game after resuming causes it to be re-enabled, so I can't just switch it off until the issue is fixed.

I've tried both Alternate and Reduce DVI modes in the CCC without success.

2. Psycho

Regular

I have a "reset graphics card after s3" (something like that) option in my bios, which is required in my case (msi p35 platinum / hd4850) - got a similar option?
    Sounds like something like that is needed.

3. ShaidarHaran

ShaidarHaran hardware monkey
    Veteran

I know this doesn't help you at all, but I'm still going to say it.

Sleep mode is one of the worst ideas ever to appear in the realm of PCs.

You want to save power? Turn off your PC and monitor.

You want your PC to turn on quickly? Leave it on.

Sleep/hibernate cause more troubles than they're worth.

- one PC tech's opinion (mine)

4. Davros

Legend

5. Psycho

Regular

Sounds very much like a pc tech (support) opinion ;) - and I guess there's a reason S3 is not enabled in windows by default..
    IF it happens to work it's great. I can go into S3 with music and 3d rendering going on and be fully up and running again in 3 seconds (compared to maybe 2 minutes startup+login time +time to get into apps etc), and S3 power usage is 4w, while the psu is still using 2w while turned off.

6. ShaidarHaran

Veteran

;)

7. Quitch

Veteran

S3 is a wonderful thing, and if you hate S3 then you must be turning your telly off at the plug because if not whenever you hit the power button all you're doing is sending it into a deep sleep, just like a PC in S3 which should consume no more than 2 watts.

Sure, you might want to wait 30 seconds to boot, another 20 seconds for startup programs to load (60 for Steam), a few UAC prompts for things like XFire and GameJackal... I don't. I loaded them once, I don't want to do it every day.

A tech myself I thought I wouldn't touch S3 with a barge pole. I was wrong, it's the best change ever. Only 2 watts of power draw while asleep? Near instant on? Hell yes.

8. Davros

Legend

1.5 minutes per day is too much for you!!!

and that cant be right, vista is ready in less then 30secs ask anyone who claims vista is faster then xp in all those dicussions weve had about which ones better :D

9. ShaidarHaran

Veteran

I run a dual-boot Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 and XP Pro SP3

Vista gets to the desktop so much quicker than XP I didn't believe it myself, at first. I'll take 30 seconds once a day startup over the kind of crap users of sleep/hibernate modes have to deal with, anytime.

10. dnd

dnd
    Newcomer

i have problems with suspend/sleep sometimes...on my current machine it just doesn't wake up properly and has to be hard reset. on previous machines it ran fine.

what's wrong with hibernate though? i've never had a problem with that...well...almost never.

11. Davros

Legend

i should of filmed it to prove it....
    i highlighted a text file in vista
    it was about 2k in size pressed delete i then got a "calculating time required for operation " dialog box which lasted for 9 seconds (i timed it) then it deleted the file
    just tried the same thing in xp it was instant
    what the hell is vista doing
    why does it need to calculate how long it will take
    why does it take 9 seconds to calculate it will take less then a second to delete
    and the funny thing is it still never told me how long it would take to delete so why calculate it

12. ShaidarHaran

Veteran

Something wrong with your system then because I just recreated your test in Vista Home Basic 32 on my g/f's laptop (Core Duo 1.6, 2GB RAM) and it was instantaneous.

I haven't had any issues with file operation time calculation since SP1 was released.