4870 X2 Fan Noise - Newegg Open Box

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Captain_Vegetable, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Captain_Vegetable

Newcomer

I just got my 4870 X2 from Newegg's "open box" program. Upon startup, the fan makes a horrible loud noise, but after it warms up for 10 minutes or so, it quiets down. I got a big discount on the card so I don't want to return it unless I need to. Is the initial fan rattling a sign of worse problems to come, or is this a minor thing not worth worrying about? I think I only have 15 days to decide whether to return it. would an aftermarket fan maybe cure the problem?

2. Silent_Buddha

Legend

There's a potential there for big problems down the line if the noise is due to the bearings not being able to move with low friction. IE - rough bearings, inadequate lubrication, etc.

If that's the case, as some point the fan will eventually just lock up and won't work anymore, after which your GPU will fry itself.

I'd say either replace it at Newegg or contact the manufacturer for a warranty replacement.

Regards,
    SB

3. Dooby

Regular

For how long after start up does this last?

All gfx cards hit 100% fan speed on start up, but it should only last a few seconds, and should be near enough silent by the time Windows is booting up.

4. Captain_Vegetable

Newcomer

Actually, it seems to be OK after 30 seconds or so. As I type this, it is silent. When I restart, the fan cranks up and rattles unreasonably loudly. After 30 seconds, it quiets down. I started Crysis Wars to see what would happen, and the fan stayed silent. What do you think? Too risky to keep the card, or not a big deal?

5. Captain_Vegetable

Newcomer

By the way, I talked to Newegg and apparently there is NO manufacturer warranty on the item since it was "open box." I have only 15 days to decide whether to keep the card...

6. Dooby

Regular

Not a big deal, it might just be your mobo or install of OS sending the signal later than mine. It's akin to AMD Cool'n'Quiet, which is a BIOS/Driver thing, and needs to load the specific settings for it.

7. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Is it only when you boot up the system? 'Cause the fan usually goes straight to 100% for me when I boot and settles down once windows gets loading.

Well it did at least, before I hooked it up to an old fan control so I wouldn't have to monkey with it... ;)

8. ShaidarHaran

ShaidarHaran hardware monkey
    Veteran

This behavior is typical so unless the noise itself is abnormal, you have nothing to worry about.

9. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

My 4870 does the same thing despite not using the reference cooler. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

10. Captain_Vegetable

Newcomer

Well, the noise was definitely abnormal, but it seems to have disappeared. The first time I booted up with the new card, it made an obnoxious loud, rattling sound. Today (day 2 of owning the card), it made a slight, barely audible rattling sound upon start up, and now is silent. But the fact that the sound was so loud yesterday has me worried that even though it's not making noise now, the problem is still there and that after my 15-day warranty period, the noise will return worse than ever. That's what happened the last time I had a power supply's fan go bad. It rattled for a while, then was quiet for a while, then returned with a vengeance.

11. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

If a fan is rattling, it means the bearings/spindles are worn or damaged. They are only going to get worse, as a damaged bearing just wears itself out faster. You will need a new fan/heatsink, or better to send it back.

The 4870s should be almost silent, and very slight audible in use. The will whoosh loudly for a second on boot, and mine whooshes up again for a second once Windows has been started from a cold boot (CCC doing something I suspect). Any kind of rattle is defiantly wrong.

12. ShaidarHaran

ShaidarHaran hardware monkey
    Veteran

Check the fan to see if there's any "play". IOW: while it's off, put slight downward pressure on one of the fan blades and see how loose it is. If it feels solid, you're fine. If it "wobbles" or feels like it could come off easily, send the card back.

Also check for debris in the fan/fan shroud.

13. Sxotty

Veteran

How cold is it in your residence?

I had a card that had a fan doing that, but only when cold and if I taped it the noise went away. Card is 3yrs old now and working still, but it was a 6200 softmod to 6600

14. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Worn, damaged, or not properly lubricated bearings won't have any "play."

They will however, make less noise (in the short term) after being on for a while. As things get worse (damage is exacerbated or lubrication further decays), the noise they make on startup will last longer. Repeated cold/warm/hot cycles will only accelerate the decay.

Typical boot up fan noise should last no more than 10 seconds and should NOT sound like anything is vibrating.

He's got the classic signs of a fan that isn't in good shape and will only deteriorate over time. It was likely returned to Newegg for the same reason.

Right now he has to decide if he wants to be a gambling man. Will the fan last a year? Or will it only last a few weeks? Or anything in between.

Replacing the HS/Fan is always an option but if it's still covered by a return policy, I'd return it and either get a new card or hope a replacement open box item isn't defective.

Regards,
    SB