4870 ATI Driver issues

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Windfire, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Windfire

Regular

I've got a 4870 card in my system and have the latest catalyst drivers (WinXP 32bit) and have been experiencing utility crashes.

Quick background: I generally have more than one person logged onto Windows XP. We also use Standby very heavily.

I've had 3 types of errors:
    1 - When waking the PC up and logging back onto a session I sometimes find the ATI utility has crashed (GPF). I have to re-run it to have it back in the tray.

2 - When waking the PC up and loggin back onto a session I sometimes get a message box stating the ATI drivers were not loaded and I needed to re-load. Although this doesn't seem to cause a problem.

3 - On 2 occasions when waking up my PC from standby I get a BSOD and a reboot.

I never had ANY of these types of problems with my Nvidia 8800GTS 320.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I'm thinking about re-loading XP with a clean install--but thats kind of a pain.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Sounds like your having problems with your memory.

Had similar symptons on a laptop with integrated ATI solution...exactly the same symptoms.

Replaced the memory and no more errors. I find more often than not, BSODs are caused by memory problems.

Regards,
    SB

3. Dio

Dio
    Veteran

Whenever you get repeatable BSODs, my first port of call is always memtest.

4. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Actually I'd install WoW trial at that point, WoW spotted memory errors for me while memtest86 didn't get any (it rand a whole night)

5. Windfire

Regular

Sorry, I see I didn't include a piece of data. These errors only started after installing my new 4870. It had been functioning flawlessly since I built the rig over a year ago (with a 8800GTS 320 installed). Memory: Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 running at 4/4/4/12

Almost immediately after the video card swap I've been randomly getting the three errors I've mentioned... We can go a couple days with no error, and then I'll wake up the PC to a ATI error.

With that in mind, I'm thinking this is not a memory problem.

6. Dooby

Regular

Why, when hundreds/thousands of other users aren't having problems do you think its a driver issue?

You didn't have these issues with your GTS, but I had them with my GTX. Down clocking the RAM on my card helped with the NVCP crashing, the driver stopping and not restarting properly and in the worst cases, hard locks.

I would say your card is either overheating, or you just have a borked card. It does happen. Try underclocking your card is see if the problem gets better. If it does, its time to either sort out your airflow, or RMA the card. No big deal.

Hoof beats. Zebras. Horses. Etc.

7. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

Steve, get a new Power Supply Unit(PSU). I know you might think not but it's most probably the cause of your problems.

I reckon, get a 600W or more that delivers proper power to the rails.

US

8. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

That's shamelessly "too much" really, I mean, 4870 takes under 11A from +12V line under load

9. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

Not really, I have a 500W PSU and sometimes I think it's the cause for some issues i've been experiencing lately. That said, my UPS shows that my PC in idle mode does about 240W, I know the GPU under load takes close to another 100W, so that's 340W. If the PSU is not sending proper power to the rails it can cause slow downs and yes BSOD. I also know the 4870 uses a lot more power than my GTS512 so I expect over 400W under load.

Since Steve never mentioned his PSU, I expect that to be the problem. Now if he comes back and says he has a 600W+ well then i'm wrong about his problems.

I've seen plenty of issues of a similar nature on a local forum and once the people changed their PSU, the problems were resolved.

US

10. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

Having a look, the 4870 does 274W under load.

[​IMG]

Source: http://techreport.com/articles.x/15105/7

Add the rest of the system power consumption and I expect over that 400W load I was talking about.

As I said, I would expect a good 600W or more to prevent the PC from having issues.

US

11. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

That is the whole system power consumption, not cards only.

12. I.S.T.

Veteran

That is correct.

If his PSU is drawing more than 400 watts, it's not the video card causing it.

13. Windfire

Regular

I've got the Corsair HX620. Works great.

Regarding the 4870 over-heating... It runs cool. On startup it is obviously cool and after startup with the fan hack I run it at 31% fan speed which keeps the norm temps at around 45c.

There were two other events that occured when I swapped the video card:
    1 - Shortly after I upgraded XP to SP3

2 - On the actual video card swap I un-installed the Nvidia drivers forgetting that my 680i based board is NVidia. This un-installed all of my motherboard drivers too. I re-installed the latest 680i drivers.

Thanks for the input everyone. I think what I'll do is Re-install WinXP (clean install). If I still have the problems I'll either quit using Suspend or think about other options.

14. Windfire

Regular

I should also state that I'm not getting any errors on the majority of wake-ups. Perhaps 1-in-5 gets an error of some type.

My overall hardware:

Evga 680i
    CPU Intel E6600 w/ Thermalright Ultra 120
    Corsair RAM TWIN2X2048-6400C4
    Corsair 620HX PSU
    Antec P180 Case (5x 120mm fans)
    2x Seagate 320GB SATA

Running the e6600 at 3GHz and it runs very cool idle and under load--cooler than a stock e6600 with stock cooling. Max temps are in mid 50s c.