44 Years of the Fantastic Four

John Reynolds

Ecce homo
Veteran
Out of a growing sense of nostalgia brought on by middle age I decided to pick this DVD up from Amazon last week for $40. I bought my first issue, #143, back in the spring of '74, if memory serves, and went on to become a huge FF fan, back collecting to issue #4 (first Silver Age appearance of the Sub-mariner). The issues are scanned into pdf format and include covers, ad and letter pages, and are organized by decade and then years. The annual issues are also included. But for $40, I thought this was a great way to read over 20 years of books I've never seen, not to mention the enjoyment of just looking over the covers of all the issues I cherished as a kid back in the '70s (I sold my entire comics collection in '87 for college $$).

The company, Git Corp, has also released DVDs for the X-men, Avengers, and Spidey (actually, Spidey comes on 11 CDs since it was, I believe, the first crack at this).

My goodness! Every issue? Up to when? If you'd done a link I'd probably bought it in the rush of enthusiasm. ;)

I don't suppose they included cross-overs and guest appearances? That'd be cool. . .

I don't know but the early X-Men are really crap. Granted they were written in a time where big story lines were not asked for, but still I found them exceptionally boring.

I always found FF to be pretty crappy.

There just didn't seem to be much character development (oh heck, maybe Ben Grimm had some with Alicia but that was it).

Throw in Reed Richards' super scientific-technobabble that wasn't even worthy of a cheap Star Trek ripoff (read, even as a kid you knew it wasn't even trying to be based on science) and ugh, no thanks.

I always found FF to be pretty crappy.

There just didn't seem to be much character development (oh heck, maybe Ben Grimm had some with Alicia but that was it).

Throw in Reed Richards' super scientific-technobabble that wasn't even worthy of a cheap Star Trek ripoff (read, even as a kid you knew it wasn't even trying to be based on science) and ugh, no thanks.

Blasphemer! Get out of my thread, NOW!!! :cool:

I've also been reading the letters pages of each issue and lo and behold what do I find in issue #20? A rather effusive letter from none other than George R. Martin. Yes, the author of A Song of Ice and Fire. Kind of neat, in a spectacularly geeky way.

Back