3nm Memristors @1GHz

I think switching memristors are hugely exciting and can bring about many great things.

Can someone explain what the really cool applications for this technology are? Also how long now between the lab and the field?

That sounds like pseudo-science claptrap Bludd.

Frankly the whole historical aspect of the memristor is completely overblow, it's voltage dependent resistor with hysteresis ... woopdefucking doo. It's nice they found materials which made it work, but I doubt anyone was surprised such a material existed. I doubt anyone in 1960 would have been surprised.

That sounds like pseudo-science claptrap Bludd.

Frankly the whole historical aspect of the memristor is completely overblow, it's voltage dependent resistor with hysteresis ... woopdefucking doo. It's nice they found materials which made it work, but I doubt anyone was surprised such a material existed. I doubt anyone in 1960 would have been surprised.
Well, I found it interesting. :(

Memristors could perhaps lead to smaller, more capacious SRAM arrays, if you could replace 4-6 transistors with 1 memristor (assuming it occupies less than the total transistor area, naturally.)

I assume data stored in memristors aren't persistent when the power is disconnected, but if it is it would be a possible alternative to flash memory, which slowly self-destructs as you write to it.

MfA, your attitude is a bit trite, the memristor is a "new" basic building block of electronics, one of a scant few. To dismiss it so scornfully sounds a bit shortsighted, when it hasn't had the time to show any real usefulness yet.

I'm quite certain there were people that couldn't see the point of transistors either initially. :p

MfA, your attitude is a bit trite, the memristor is a "new" basic building block of electronics, one of a scant few.
I didn't dismiss the technology, I dismissed the hype around mr. Chu ... and especially the whole "we can build a brain now" thing.

Also HP's version isn't really a building block, it's a storage cell ... the fact that it has to physically move atoms about in a lattice means that it will always be slow and power hungry (1 GHz at 3 nm is slow). Which isn't really a problem for storage, but makes it not very suitable for computational circuitry.

whats so special about a billionth of a second ?
cpu's run at upto 4 billionth's of a second
Cost/size/power tradeoffs may make different things exciting even despite an apparent lack in one single isolated aspect.

where's my MRAM micro-SD card, or my SED display?

let's hope it really gets done, especially if it can be a flash memory replacement - a low amount would be enough for me if it's cheap enough, doesn't age and writes at full speed with the granularity of a standard sector.

Your SED display is in pixel heaven, coz it's deader'n fuckin' dead. And it won't wake up.

Back