3DO Blaster: did you remember it?

Simon82

Newcomer
3doblaster2.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3do_blaster

Did you remeber it? It was a real 3DO console hw porting for PC desktop. The dream of all emulators that cannot compare to a real hardware on a real bus. ;)

It could run on a 386! If I remember correctly another company was releasing another porting of an home console.. Was it Sega with Genesis?

Bye

3doblaster2.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3do_blaster

Did you remeber it? It was a real 3DO console hw porting for PC desktop. The dream of all emulators that cannot compare to a real hardware on a real bus. ;)

It could run on a 386! If I remember correctly another company was releasing another porting of an home console.. Was it Sega with Genesis?

Bye

No the Sega one was Saturn and I believe it was through nVidia. Although if I recall it wasn't actually running Saturn games. It used Saturn controllers and had sound built-in but the games were ported to the nvidia hw. (nvidia's first if I remember)

No the Sega one was Saturn and I believe it was through nVidia. Although if I recall it wasn't actually running Saturn games. It used Saturn controllers and had sound built-in but the games were ported to the nvidia hw. (nvidia's first if I remember)

Actually there was the Amstrad MegaPC which had a Genesis built-in from the get-go.

3DO blaster also only works with one type of CD-ROM.

edit: Oh look, it's all spelled out in what Wiki. That particular CD-ROM was the first one I owned lol. Came with a Creative OmniCD upgrade kit. 2X w/ Matsushita/Panasonic interface.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, talk me about it! On what system do you test it? How good is that?

It's in a box in my garage. I haven't used it in many years. When I did use it I had it in an old old 486 machine. It worked fine for the few 3D0 games I had. I doubt it would even be functional on a current PC, especially since it was never really released and there are no drivers for anything but Windows 9x. I got mine because a company I worked for in the past was part owned by Creative and I managed to get a prerelease.

I remember reading about it in PC gamer back in late 94 early 95, back then the 3d0 seemed like it was gonna be a great system. They made so many right decisions. Too bad nobody could afford it. I was in college at the time. $700 back then.... might as well have been $7 million. Thinking about the old mags.....Maybe it's just nostalgia but it seems the PC gaming scene was a lot more exciting through 90's. More varied selection and new genres springing up every year. Now it seems everyone just waits for the yearly release of their mmorpg expansion... rant over

Anyone remember the Pioneer Laserdisc player with the genesis built-in ?

edit. I found it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_LaserActive Im not crazy.

Back in the day when I heard about the 3DO and saw pictures of it in magazines I was like wow... looked at the price and was like ow... (course I was in high school at the time so pretty much anything with a price tag tends to be ow :) ). One of my friends played Need for Speed on an import and said it was like the best thing ever. Of course at the time it was. Still got a pile of magazines from around that time hyping up the machine. At the time If i had the money I would have gotten a 3DO Blaster cause it was cheaper than on of the 3DO Consoles.

i had the same feeling reading about neogeo home console hardware.... so expensive and so lovely

I miss my 3d0!

It's probably one of my favorite systems, even though it was fairly short lived and didn't have many good games (it did have Way of the Warrior though!). I have many fond memories playing Need for Speed with friends and trying to flip the cars out of the track (which was actually ridiculously hard!).

I remember reading about it in PC gamer back in late 94 early 95, back then the 3d0 seemed like it was gonna be a great system. They made so many right decisions. Too bad nobody could afford it. I was in college at the time. $700 back then.... might as well have been $7 million. Thinking about the old mags.....Maybe it's just nostalgia but it seems the PC gaming scene was a lot more exciting through 90's. More varied selection and new genres springing up every year. Now it seems everyone just waits for the yearly release of their mmorpg expansion... rant over

I have CGW and Next Generation mags from those years. CGW much further back than that too. Next Gen had this huge hype for 3DO. It was really exciting since it blew away the SNES and Genesis, undeniably. But yea it was expensive and I too was in high school at that time. I used to play it at the local electronics store when I could get there. I still want to run Crash'n'Burn on an emulator (but Freedo doesn't work with it). I have almost bought a 3DO off eBay several times in the past year or two.

I do agree that the '90s were way more exciting. Basically all of the genres around right now were either created or immensely refined back then. I'd argue that post 2K, things changed significantly into being basically graphical refinement. Hell, they even screwed up many great formulas with some games (Heroes, Quake 4, Doom 3, UT2003 (and 4 arguably). I've basically lost my favorite genre - sci-fi sims. Sure we still get some great innovation, like KOTOR and others. But, you can't tell me that things haven't massively slowed down. And MMOs aren't my thing at all so I see the market as a mess, honestly.

I have CGW and Next Generation mags from those years. CGW much further back than that too. Next Gen had this huge hype for 3DO. It was really exciting since it blew away the SNES and Genesis, undeniably. But yea it was expensive and I too was in high school at that time. I used to play it at the local electronics store when I could get there. I still want to run Crash'n'Burn on an emulator (but Freedo doesn't work with it). I have almost bought a 3DO off eBay several times in the past year or two.

I do agree that the '90s were way more exciting. Basically all of the genres around right now were either created or immensely refined back then. I'd argue that post 2K, things changed significantly into being basically graphical refinement. Hell, they even screwed up many great formulas with some games (Heroes, Quake 4, Doom 3, UT2003 (and 4 arguably). I've basically lost my favorite genre - sci-fi sims. Sure we still get some great innovation, like KOTOR and others. But, you can't tell me that things haven't massively slowed down. And MMOs aren't my thing at all so I see the market as a mess, honestly.

Agreed - great post!

3DO - The first victom of Sony hype! (and design)

I remember Naughty Dog's first game on there. It was a horrible fighter. :runaway:

Way of the warrior I think ...

I couldn't agree more. I use to love playing military sims (tanks, choppers, fighterjets) ever since I got a commodore 64. That genre is hurting. Also the atmoshperic adventure game outside of fairies and wizards is dead. Stuff like Monkey Island or the old cinemaware amiga games. Games that made you feel like you were in a movie. Sandbox games have brought something very cool to modern gaming but at the same time created something bland. I sound like i'm 60 years old talking like this.

I remember Naughty Dog's first game on there. It was a horrible fighter. :runaway:
Way of the warrior I think ...

Take that back! It wasn't horrible!

It was probably babcat's dream game though. It was gratuitous and ridiculuos. I loved the game when I was younger (I secretly knew it was pretty bad and controlled horribly, but I had tons of fun with it -- the white zombie soundtrack was perfect for it too!)

I couldn't agree more. I use to love playing military sims (tanks, choppers, fighterjets) ever since I got a commodore 64. That genre is hurting. Also the atmoshperic adventure game outside of fairies and wizards is dead. Stuff like Monkey Island or the old cinemaware amiga games. Games that made you feel like you were in a movie. Sandbox games have brought something very cool to modern gaming but at the same time created something bland. I sound like i'm 60 years old talking like this.

Next-gen Sam&Max and Full Throttle ftw!

Take that back! It wasn't horrible!

It was probably babcat's dream game though. It was gratuitous and ridiculuos. I loved the game when I was younger (I secretly knew it was pretty bad and controlled horribly, but I had tons of fun with it -- the white zombie soundtrack was perfect for it too!)

yep

I was stunned when they showed the teams next effort in progress ...:oops:

I remember it, but I never owned one. I did buy a 3DO at launch, though, for $999 Canadian. :oops: It seemed worth it at the time. :)

Actually, it had some pretty amazing titles: Road Rash, Need for Speed, Return Fire, FIFA; I even enjoyed Crash n Burn.

Back