3D Mark for iOS

juicytuna

Newcomer
3D Mark v1.1 came out today with support for iOS:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/10/3dmark-benchmark-app-ios/

Some early scores from the iPhone show it getting completely obliterated by Adreno 320 based devices:

Device: iPhone 5:
Ice Storm: 5440
Ice Storm Extreme: 3355
Ice Storm Unlimited: 5552

Device: HTC One
Ice Storm: Maxed Out
Ice Storm Extreme: 6145
Ice Storm Unlimited: 10602

Device: Asus Nexus 7 (2013)
Ice Storm: Maxed Out
Ice Storm Extreme: 7170
Ice Storm Unlimited: 10592

Almost twice as high. Yet to see any iPad 4 or Adrenon 330 scores. I wonder if the timing of the release means we might see something special from Rogue in todays iPhone anouncement?

iPad 4 iOS 6:
Ice Storm: 9332
Ice Storm Extreme: 6923
Ice Storm Unlimited: 9364

Looks like there are significant improvements for iPad 4 in iOS 7. I wonder if that will translate to the iPhone too.

3dMark for iOS.....one day before the new iPhone is shown....does that mean that the new iPhone will crush the competition....you bet. :) :)

3dMark for iOS.....one day before the new iPhone is shown....does that mean that the new iPhone will crush the competition....you bet. :) :)

I hope so. Especially as it will make the competition try even harder for their next piece of hardware.

I'm all for progress. Wouldn't be surprised to see a slide in todays presentation proclaiming 3x performance in 3DMark over the iPhone 5.

One more from the Xperia Z Ultra (Adrenon 330):

Ice storm : maxed out!
Ice storm extreme: maxed out!
Ice storm ultimate: 17657

Last edited by a moderator:

I hope so. Especially as it will make the competition try even harder for their next piece of hardware.

Apple's claims for the 5S are "up to 2x better GPU performance" than iphone 5, so no.
It should be marginally better (at best) than the Snapdragon 600 and quite a bit slower than the Snapdragon 800 coming with the current Android flagships.

Then again, Android flagships have to handle a 1080p resolution, whereas this is still on 960*640.
Performance per pixel must be tops in the 5S. Then again, 4" doesn't make it exactly a great device for gaming.

Do Android games run at native resolution? Seems such a waste to run at 1080p on such a small screen. They could run at 540p and still look pin sharp.

Do Android games run at native resolution? Seems such a waste to run at 1080p on such a small screen. They could run at 540p and still look pin sharp.

Some of them do.
Not that I wouldn't rather have higher-polygon models, better lighting effects and larger textures while rendering at 720p or 540p like you said.
But making a game that's playable in an Adreno 205 @ 800*480 and then just scale up the resolution and a few features when better GPUs are found is the best way to recycle the same assets.

So Engadget tested a 5C and 5S, Ice Storm Unlimited:

13729 for the 5S
5442 for the 5/5C

Not quite 3X and still lagging behind an Adreno 330 ?

Even the most advanced smartphone games are all still pretty much based around dumb AIs and scripted events/physics.

I think quad-cores may get the upper-hand if/when we see smartphone games using more advanced AIs, Havok physics, procedural generation, etc.

Until then, I too think getting 4 cores into a smartphone is more of a strike on energy efficiency than marketing substance.

Are there more than a handful of mobile games pushing the 3D capabilities of these devices?

Seems more of a business than technical problem.

If you make a high-quality game, how much would you be able to charge and still get a high volume of sales?

For instance, if they released GTA V for mobile devices, the addressable market is perhaps an order of magnitude higher than PS3, 360 and PC combined. Of course, a higher percentage of people who have consoles are likely to buy GTA V while the percentage of smart phone and tablet owners who'd buy a game like that may be in the single digits, depending on how they price it.

But with hundreds of millions for development and marketing budgets, they can't price it too low, though they'd have no manufacturing and distribution costs on mobile.

Can a game like GTA V sell several times the number of units as on consoles? Otherwise, they'd have to price it closer to their console SKUs, which diminishes the potential market of people who would get it for their mobile devices.

GTA V is quite an extreme example because it's the most expensive game ever made with its budget of ~$265M.
They just couldn't afford to sell it at handheld prices.

I think handhelds are now getting in a comfortable place where the flagships could be starting to get stripped down ports of the 7th generation of consoles (PS360). I wonder if some developer houses could make a healthy living out of licensing good IPs and porting them to Android and iOS.

From the top of my head, I think GTA IV and Saints Row 3 would be great candidates for a ~$5-10 handheld release.

Um how do you control them on a phones screen. GTA etc will have to be completely different games for them to work on a touch screen. Sure they may sell a lot based on the name initially but once people play them and find out they're shit to control sales will dive.

Back