3D is back Baby!

pjbliverpool

B3D Scallywag
Legend
This tech looks incredible! It's limited to a single Acer display at present but if it works as well as described in this video then it's surely going to be picked up by other displays including TV's in the future.

I was a huge fan of both 3D gaming and 3D movies with the former (and better) of those now being fully dead and buried while the latter is at best on life support. But even I will admit the shortfalls of the tech, not least of which being the requirementto wear glasses.

Removing that as a requirement should be the holy grail for 3D content and hopefully will see the tech come back in a major way.

$1100us for a 15.6" 4k display.

I can wait.

Yeah the price needs to come down first for sure. I'm not replacing my 38" monitor or 55" TV with a 15" tablet screen any time soon. But the tech itself looks solid so I can only assume it will eventually find its way into bigger displays at a more reasonable price.

I'd absolutely pay a few hundred premium for this in an already great display.

Yeah the price needs to come down first for sure. I'm not replacing my 38" monitor or 55" TV with a 15" tablet screen any time soon. But the tech itself looks solid so I can only assume it will eventually find its way into bigger displays at a more reasonable price.

I'd absolutely pay a few hundred premium for this in an already great display.
Ya, they have a ways to go. It's also coming in at 323nits... unusable in anything but dark conditions.

Will need to more details on the implementation to see where this will go in the near and medium future. How much of the technology is proprietary to Acer and how much is to third parties? As far as I know Acer itself doesn't manufacturer display panels, so who is the source of the panel itself? How of the technology is also instrinc to the display panel?

I have a dim recollection of a seemingly similar technology a couple of decades ago (ie. early 00's).

I was working in HPC at the time and was interested in it for visualisation of hydrodynamics simulations, but we never managed to get our hands on anything.

Time has dimmed my memory, I can't remember what it was called or how it worked.

this sounds like an advanced 3DS.

3D is the only technology -along with maybe augmented reality- that I'd like to seriously try. I got a 3D TV back in 2013 and still have the passive glasses at home, but never ended up using those glasses. VR is a no go for me, 'cos it seems to isolate you from real life, although I've never tried it myself, just saw a headset in front of me, property of a friend-.

This could be very interesting, if not huge.

3D gaming is awesome. To bad it died.
3D movies with high frame rate look pretty good as well.
well, I though it had died too, but yesterday I discovered there is an entire world behind it! There are people who play games on 3D mode even if the game didin't originally support it (I just remember Crysis supporting it). Dozens of games are supported.

I have a 1080p 3D TV from 2013, which uses passive glasses, and I didn't know about this.

well, I though it had died too, but yesterday I discovered there is an entire world behind it! There are people who play games on 3D mode even if the game didin't originally support it (I just remember Crysis supporting it). Dozens of games are supported.

I have a 1080p 3D TV from 2013, which uses passive glasses, and I didn't know about this.

Yes but 3D Vision itself is no longer supported in Nvidia drivers as far as I'm aware.

I have a dim recollection of a seemingly similar technology a couple of decades ago (ie. early 00's).

I was working in HPC at the time and was interested in it for visualisation of hydrodynamics simulations, but we never managed to get our hands on anything.

Time has dimmed my memory, I can't remember what it was called or how it worked.
I saw it at CES 2006. I remember the demo unit being something like a 40" TV. It had some limitations like only working at specific angles I think.

It reminds me of the old Time Traveler holographic arcade machine.

Last edited:
afaik 3D Vision isn't necessary now with the new Geo 11 drivers.

That still seems to need a very old NV driver to use 3D Vision glasses. Not great if you want to play newer games in 2D. Granted the option is there but it's now extremely niche.

Hopefully VR will eventually pick up the mantle and allow for playing 2d games on a virtual screen in 3d within VR. I think there's already some way of doing that but I expect it's very limited.

That still seems to need a very old NV driver to use 3D Vision glasses. Not great if you want to play newer games in 2D. Granted the option is there but it's now extremely niche.

Hopefully VR will eventually pick up the mantle and allow for playing 2d games on a virtual screen in 3d within VR. I think there's already some way of doing that but I expect it's very limited.
never tried VR, I guess it might be impressive, but having something a bit cumbersome and clunky on my head that separate me from real life is something I have a hard time wiith. I've never been truly interested in VR tbh, but stereoscopic 3D as seen in the video you shared in your first post, would be a dream come true.

Comfortabe depth/pop out goes up with screen diagonal and on regular size screens that's only as much as the diagonal. On regular screen this won't work for anything grand, but fishbowl stuff.

Comfortabe depth/pop out goes up with screen diagonal and on regular size screens that's only as much as the diagonal. On regular screen this won't work for anything grand, but fishbowl stuff.

It's also a factor of distance from the screen. I used to use 3D Vision on a 27" monitor from roughly 1 foot away and the 3D effect was the best I've ever experienced outside of VR, far exceeding anything I've seen on TV or cinema.

It's also a factor of distance from the screen. I used to use 3D Vision on a 27" monitor from roughly 1 foot away and the 3D effect was the best I've ever experienced outside of VR, far exceeding anything I've seen on TV or cinema.

In VR they have 2meter virtual distance and thats edging uncomfortable both for close up and very distant content. Cinema plays it safe for obvious reasons, but thats theoretically the most relaxed view overall except "only" about 2m near pop out can be expected there's a good paper about this side of VAC (vergence accommodation conflict).

Last edited:
In VR they have 2meter virtual distance and thats edging uncomfortable both for close up and very distant content. Cinema plays it safe for obvious reasons, but thats theoretically the most relaxed view overall except "only" about 2m near pop out can be expected there's a good paper about this side of VAC (vergence accommodation conflict).

I don't know about any of that but I do know that the 3D effect on my old 3D Vision monitor was perfect from 1-2 feet away. Granted I always set it to add depth to the image rather than to pop out of the screen which may have been due that being uncomfortable at that distance (I don't remember tbh). But in terms of adding depth it was spectacular. The screen essentially became a window onto a 3D world, and depending on how you set the 3D effect it could look anything from a miniature diorama to almost life sized cinema proportions.

Back