"3D Fanboys and Idiocy"

Ha ha ha ha!!! That am genius!

It is indeed pretty sad that it doesn't seem to be possible to get away from fanboyism and trolling, even in forums that are populated by people who are clearly very intelligent and knowledgable.

This place isn't the most depressing I've come across -- got to the realworldtech.com forums, look at some of the names (Linus Torvalds to name but one), and savour the atmosphere. It's quite an eye opener! (It's Intel v. the rest over there, but it's just as bad as NV v. ATI here).

But whilst the signal-to-noise here (or at RWT) isn't what it could or perhaps should be, at least there is signal, unlike some other forums one might mention (*cough* [H] *cough*).

nutball said:
It is indeed pretty sad that it doesn't seem to be possible to get away from fanboyism and trolling, even in forums that are populated by people who are clearly very intelligent and knowledgable..
Most of the time fanboys are not very intelligent and knowledgable..
You can spot that in the Humus thread, but that's just an example.
That's not a B3D exclusive, even on RWT most of the people that do CPU talking all the time..well..they just spit out terms they read and did not understand.

ciao,
Marco

In a sense, I'm glad that people pore over the results of ATI and NV drivers to look for optimisations which reduce image quality. And I'm happy to be told about it. But only if there are people who actually know what they're doing to sort it out afterwards.

I want both ATI and NV to produce the best drivers and hardware possible, but to be kept honest along the way.

I'm learning a lot about working with other people at the moment. One thing which impresses me lots is when people are mature and experienced enough to be concerned about an issue but able to not get stressed by the people involved. That's not me (yet?), but I'd like to get there.

It helped me to evaluate my prejudices (moi?) when I considered buying a graphics card from a different manufacturer to the one I'd originally been thinking of. Oingo boingo - it's only a piece of a computer! It's interesting that things can become so important :?

Let's be careful out there. Or care-free?

I was surprised (and not pleasantly) the way Humus demonstration was received. Not an ideal way for folk to react - given a few joined just to take a (rather uninformed) swipe at him.

Archiving is normally done to lighten server loads I thought - as it doesn't really stop trolls entering.

Yes.. before I didn't get it, but humas's thread did spark the interest of many ... fanbois from a cetain... camp

:LOL:

Best entertainment of the weekend for me, and it provided a most excellent distraction from the worries/aggravations of a holiday weekend for me. 8)

Thanks all! :D

g__day said:
I was surprised (and not pleasantly) the way Humus demonstration was received. Not an ideal way for folk to react - given a few joined just to take a (rather uninformed) swipe at him.

Archiving is normally done to lighten server loads I thought - as it doesn't really stop trolls entering.

Look to people that have known humus in the virtual sense anyway we may go "we trust him" but to a stranger, if somebody has a quote about nvidia being pwned even with a smilely face. and they happen to be involved with ATI, and the code happens to not work correctly with nvidia hardware than I think it would actually take someone who was stupid to not take a pause and wonder if everything was on the up and up. I did not attack him or anything b/c his past record does not lead me to believe any ill, however anyone who was not appraised of the past might well have looked askance at things.

Draconis said:
radeonic2 said:
Yes.. before I didn't get it, but humas's thread did spark the interest of many ... fanbois from a cetain... camp
More like both camps
More like the nvidia camp tried to piss on the parade and the loyal ati fans were like :rolleyes: :devilish: :devilish: back and forth right? :?:

radeonic2 said:
Draconis said:
radeonic2 said:
More like both camps
More like the nvidia camp tried to piss on the parade and the loyal ati fans were like :rolleyes: :devilish: :devilish: back and forth right? :?:

radeonic, Draconis please re-read what you've just posted.

Are you *really* trying to start a flame-war about who started a flame war? In *THIS* thread of all places?

Jesus ****ing Christ!!!

fan boys? who are they?

Originally posted to Matroxusers forums by Nappe1 ( http://forums.matroxusers.com/showt...ghlight=Bitboys+Matrox+Pixelfusion#post470323 )
12) Matrox joins forces with Pixelfusion and Bitboys to become "the evil power" and start global domination on all markets that stocks are available.

I am fan boy. I admit it. when the speak goes to Bitboys or Matrox I openly can admit that there's no way that my feelings would not affect on my statements. The problem is that Beyond3D has a way too many ppl not noticing that their comments are affected by their emotions towards some companies.

and as the end...
Originally taken from: http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=276585&highlight=rules#276585
Nappe's Rules for technical B3D posting.
1. NEVER mention any company names on topic. (usually starts a flame wars.)
2. ALWAYS discuss on algorithm level or on ASIC design level. (remember rule number one: NO company names, unless you are 100% sure it won't offend any participators.)
3. RESPECT the others. Try to find good sides and technically advantages from competitors sollutions. ALSO, try to find the worst weak points on your favorite.
4. REMEMBER that there's no such thing as perfect implementation. you can always tweak it more.
5. NO for insider info. if you get insider info, from upcoming products, respect your source. they most likely have taken the great risk by revealing something they shouldn't, so be extremely careful when discussing things you should not know. Also remember that your source might be outdated or wrong. (always do the "cross blind check" if possible.)

Also remember that these forums do have some really great guys, though some of them don't want to be revealed who they are. I know at least 2 guys here that have been actually part of Dx8 level GPU design team (one as AntiAliasing design / algorithm fixing and the other as rasterizer engine designer.), but they do not make any big number on it, most likely because projects were done by "non-mainstream" companies. If discussion goes to area that you do not understand, don't continue acting like you would be most knowledged guy here. It does not make you look cool, but instead puts you in the laughing stock.

Back