3D Display Games Settings thread

Arwin

Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
Legend
So is there anyone here that does any kind of PC gaming with a 3D display? I've just started and am already learning lots of fun, typical PC like things about it. ;)

For instance, Trine 2 so far looks the most beautiful using 3DTV Play (3D Vision), even though on my LG 3D TV (passive) that limits me to 720p. It's still beautiful, and flawless.

Other option is using Tridef, and this can work really well too, and doesn't limit me in terms of resolution: for instance, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit works great in 1920x1080p in 3D, and it looks quite stunning. But using this for Trine 2 doesn't work quite as well - while you can also run it in high-res, a bunch of things have their depth wrong with Tridef, making the 3D Vision one looking much better even though it's 720p.

The Witcher 2 I haven't been able to get to run in 3D yet at all.

In typical PC fashion I've already put many hours into learning about these things and figuring things out ... anyone else have any experience?

Has to be said - on PS3 the games that support it just work, and 3D Blurays, pictures likewise.

Of course the PC has some advantages here too - Tridef allows you to mess with the display settings (seperation) in a slider when watching pictures, which is useful (and headache inducing)

I have a Asus passive monitor, and I play a few games with it (although I've tried just about everything I own). I use NVidia exclusively.. I figure if I can't run it native, then it's not worth my time (or extra money).

Settings vary depending on the game and how well it supports the effect, especially with things like UI. Trine and Trine 2 are simply outstanding, and 3D is really the only way to play those.

With most games, I set convergence at screen depth. I prefer the "window" view to the "pop-out" view, which always strikes me as too much of a gimmick. With FPS games, I might set convergence to the gun (Portal 2 is epic in 3D, although Source does have some ghosting issues). Depends on the game, though. With 2.5D games like Trine, I'll set convergence at the character level, so I get a decent bit of pop-out, but I set depth overall lower for those games so it's not too extreme.

For depth, I tend to go for a very high setting, especially if convergence is at screen depth. That way, if something is very far away, it really looks like it's very far away. Very high settings with negative parallax (pop-out) can be very disorienting for me, and hard to focus on. That's why I reduce the depth settings for games like Trine where I prefer a bit of pop-out.

I haven't tried Witcher 2 yet, but it's supposed to be able to run natively in NVidia.

I lost all ability to play 3D for a while, until I discovered it had lot my monitor settings. I put the fake EDID Acer profileback, and now 3D Vision runs natively, 3D Play no longer required! So now I am playing Trine 2 at 1920x1080 with highest detail and great framerate and it looks phenomenal.

Glad to hear there is someone else :) Trine 2 was great looking already, but now its the most amazing looking game I have seen to date on anything anywhere .. Yeah character level was also my natural pick. I accidentally had depth really far initially, which looked fun and amazing, but gets a little tiring I agree. Still fun to look into such a tunnel ;)

Been playing the game non-stop now, just got through the treehouse and that next section ... I try to imagine that a next-gen game could look like this in a 3D environment ...

This is one of the biggest step up in graphics I have ever seen. One level, walking through 3D fog wasalso downright amazing ...

I've played Dragon Age 2 and Skyrim on a active 3D display with Tridef and a Radeon 7970 and was very impressed. Most of the time I didn't have problems with eye fatigue, but it did happen a couple times.

With Skyrim's first person view it really did feel like looking through a window and at 1080p the image was really crisp. Occasionally there would be something in the game that would render incorrectly, but the benefits far outweighed the negatives.

Back