3D Acceleration Comparison series

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by vetz, Sep 2, 2012.

1. vetz

Newcomer

Got a tip that some of you might be interested in this and to make a thread here on Beyond3D.

Basically I have started a series on Youtube that do a comparison among different API's on PC games from the dawn of 3D acceleration.

Newest episode number 15: Descent on Nvidia NV1, 3DFX and DOS software

API(s) in this episode:
    NVLib
    Glide
    Software

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4l_2Bqbi9Q

Previous episodes:
    • Episode 1 - Indycar Racing II - Rendition Speedy3D vs SVGA Software
      Episode 2 - SODA Offroad Racing - Rendition Redline vs DirectDraw software
      Episode 3 - Whiplash / Fatal Racing - 3DFX/Rendition/S3 Virge/SVGA Software
      Episode 4 - Virtua Cop - Nvidia NV1 vs DirectDraw software
      Episode 5 - NASCAR Racing - Nvidia NV1/Matrox Millennium/SVGA software
      Episode 6 - HAVOC - S3 Virge vs DirectDraw software
      Episode 7 - POD - 3DFX/PowerVR/ATI RAGE/S3 Virge/Direct3D/DirectDraw software
      Episode 8 - Resident Evil - PowerVR/Direct3D & Playstation
      Episode 9 - Destruction Derby - S3 Virge vs DirectDraw software
      Episode 10 - Assault Rigs - ATICIF & Software
      Episode 11 - Mechwarrior 2: 31st Century Combat - 3DFX/PowerVR/ATI RAGE/S3 Virge/Matrox Mystique
      Episode 12 - Wipeout - ATICIF, software & Rage I/II/Pro
      Episode 13 - Battle Arena Toshinden - 3D Blaster/3DFX/Matrox Mystique/NV1 & SVGA
      Episode 14 - Rave Racer on PowerVR **SPECIAL**

#1 vetz, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2013
  2. Davros

Legend

Swayee did something similar on vogons (Very Old Games On New Machines)
    http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=26536

ps: Are you sure about Nascar Racing And the NV1 wiki can be wrong you know
    from your youtube page
    "This DOS game released in 1994 was accelerated on the Nvidia NV1"

The NV1 never came out until 1995

3. vetz

Newcomer

The game was released in 1994, but the accelerated version didn't come before 1995. If you had copied the whole sentence if would probably make more sense:

"This DOS game released in 1994 was accelerated on the Nvidia NV1, Matrox Millennium and Creative 3D Blaster VLB (not tested) with the release of the CD-ROM version in 1995. "

I will make some adjustment to the sentence to avoid confusing.

I am aware of Swaaye's nice work, but those videos are just showing one particular version, making it hard to do side by side comparisons.

4. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

Damn it was nicer in my memories...

5. Mendel

Mendel Mr. Upgrade
    Veteran

Welcome! Following your series with great interest!

Those were really the revolutionary times, the first generation of 3d accelerators... and the difference they made!

Awesome that you´re going to do Quake and Tomb Raider as well, those were the killer apps.

edit: Just watched the Resident Evil video and when I was in the beginning of the video, I was thinking: "It would sure be interesting if you made some kind of comparison to the playstation version as well..." and then... you did! :D

6. PeterAce

Regular

Loved watching these comparison vids :)

7. fellix

fellix Hey, You!
    Veteran

Can I recommend other good old titles, like Carmageddon II and Trespasser? :D

The last one probably isn't very suitable for comparison, since its engine is only partially accelerated.

There was another notable title at the time: G-Police, a PS1 port for PC with D3D support (not sure for Glide). If you can't find it I'm ready to hand it over. ;)

8. Davros

Legend

G-Police runs fine under win7 x64 btw
    notable iirc for being one of the first games to use agp texturing

9. vetz

Newcomer

Thanks for the support guys :)

fellix: Carmageddon II (Glide, Direct3D, software) is added to my list. I'll get around to do that sometime. G-Police and Trespasser are Direct3D only games as far as I know. Those games are less interesting to do because they will look almost the same on all 3D cards. The differences will boil down to framerate and if some cards have glitches due to driver issues. I could ofc compare it only to the console version, but my series is mainly to focus on the different API's during the early 3D acceleration era. Maybe I can start a new series for comparison between PC and console version in the future :)

and yes, there is a new episode out: Resident Evil showing Direct3D and PowerVR comparison along with some footage of the Playstation version. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2LVfam6w1o

Next game I probably will start tackling is Tomb Raider with the 3DFX, PowerVR, ATI Rage, S3 and Matrox Mystique versions.

10. Simon F

Simon F Tea maker
    Moderator Veteran

In the Island of Sodor, where the steam trains lie
    I have a couple of screen grabs (JPGs unfortunately) of the PowerVR version taken at 1024x768, if that's any help.

11. vetz

Newcomer

Thanks, but I don't think I need it as I will produce my own footage from the PowerVR version (and all the others).

Forgot to mention in the last post that the Rendition version is in too :)

I've tested all the versions except Mystique so far and the one I like the most are the PowerVR and ATI. PowerVR can run 640x480 at 60 FPS (others are capped at 30) and also runs well in 800x600 (1024x768 is only 15-20 fps). ATI can also do 800x600 at the 30FPS cap. The others are stuck at 640x480 as maximum resolution.

12. Simon F

Simon F Tea maker
    Moderator Veteran

If you are only getting 15-20fps with 1024x768 on Tomb Raider, then you possibly have an issue with your system setup. I used to get much higher (and I should know ;-) ).

What 2D graphics card have you paired it ( PCX1 or PCX2 BTW) with? Some had very poor PCI write speeds.

13. Davros

Legend

OMG I've just twigged on who you are
    Gets down on knees and chants "we're not worthy" Waynes world style....

14. vetz

Newcomer

I was maybe a bit quick on saying 15-20 fps as I only tested if it worked, and did not do very much test on the built-in FPS counter.

After some more running around it is between 20 and 30 FPS. It is playable, but it is a bit annoying when you get to bigger areas and the FPS drops to 20-22. I just paired it with a Matrox Mystique 4MB card, but I'll have a look with the other cards to see if there is a difference. My PowerVR card is the Matrox M3D (PCX2).

15. Simon F

Simon F Tea maker
    Moderator Veteran

I just make the tea. <shrug>

The Matrox 2D cards were usually pretty good in that respect. Having said that, there was a "bandwidth tester" published a while back that just got the PCX to blast data into the 2D card as fast as possible. This would highlight possible problems. I could see if I saved the executable somewhere on an old disk.

It could be that my memory is failing, but I do have a screen shot of a "reasonably" complex scene that shows it was running at 28fps.

16. tEd

tEd Casual Member
    Veteran

oh god pod was so awesome:!:

17. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

18. Davros

Legend

19. Davros

Legend

I cant believe it, Im finally talking to John Holmes, you are a legend of the film industry :D

20. Simon F

Simon F Tea maker
    Moderator Veteran

I had to google John Holmes..... hmmmm... I now wonder if those 1.5 Terabytes are actually filled with content of a more dubuious nature.

Great link!