360 slim transitioning to matte finish

Obviously, it'd be cheaper to have a single fabricated design, but I'm not familiar with manufacturing differences. Is it cheaper to do matte?

I'd actually prefer a matte finish, I think, but I don't really care so I'm not replacing mine.
Same here. I have a 250GB Slim, and two other good ol' Xbox 360 consoles -a Falcon and a refurbished one I gave to a brother of mine and his girlfriend-. This one will be my last (desktop) console this generation.

The glossy piano black XB360s looks fabulous IMO, really stylish and slick. It's the damned best-looking product they've ever made, and I've been seriously tempted to buy one, except the hardware inside is getting too long in the tooth for a technology-geek like myself; I'd rather save the money for the next generation coming....whenever. (Far too long into the future, unfortunately...)

That MS is now transitioning to matte just shows what a bunch of fail they are at that company, only concerned with the bottom line. Try convincing Steve Jobs that instead of aluminium alloy he should have his macbook pros made out of matte ABS plastic because it's cheaper and easier to make.

Lol.

That MS is now transitioning to matte just shows what a bunch of fail they are at that company, only concerned with the bottom line. Try convincing Steve Jobs that instead of aluminium alloy he should have his macbook pros made out of matte ABS plastic because it's cheaper and easier to make.

I know, what fail! They released a fantastic looking console that wasn't fantastic enough for you to buy and, with their £300 console, should really be following the lead of Steve Jobs who would never dream of using matt plastic in his $1500+ Macbook Pro.

That's a convincing argument, no doubt. Or, as those in the cheap seats say.... Lol.

I think they're trying to follow in the footsteps of PS3 fat (glossy) -> PS3 slim (matte).

That's probably why MS created the glossy console in the first place, just so that they could 'copy Sony' and go back to matt ;)

My guess that it's more in anticipation of a price drop, as there hasn't really been a proper US price drop for what, 3 years?

I don't believe so. I can't imagine it being more than pennies if it adds any cost at all. Nothing involving simple plastics moulding costs significant amounts, and they're hardly likely to be spraying an expensive lacquer on these boxes!

I don't believe so. I can't imagine it being more than pennies if it adds any cost at all. Nothing involving simple plastics moulding costs significant amounts, and they're hardly likely to be spraying an expensive lacquer on these boxes!

So it's more than likely that the choice is purely aesthetic. Are there any known issues with the glossy finish with regards to scratching or other durability problems? I haven't heard of anything.

I'd almost think glossy is harder to scratch? It's easier to get dirty though.

Even if it's harder to scratch, the scratches would be more visible. I don't know. Just throwing ideas out there. Most likely it's just an aesthetic choice based on some focus testing or polling.

Glossy shows up fingerprints and dust somewhat rotten. Also micro-scratches are apparent. Matte is easier maintenance for sure. I can believe it being a focus-group led thing.

That's a convincing argument, no doubt. Or, as those in the cheap seats say.... Lol.
Kid... Get off my lawn and go do something useful with your time instead of trolling the forum.

Thank you.

I can believe it being a focus-group led thing.
I'd say production streamlining. Up until now they've produced two different kinds of casings, mattes and glossy, and from here on out it will be just one.

Err, Apple is a company not concerned with price. You can go into Best Buy and get a Windows laptop for $279, and that's why Apple will always have a small but profitable market share (and the smartphone market even seems to be trending that way with iphone relegated to a profitable niche and Android dominating). Anyways,for that matter I dont see any tacky glossy Apple products unless you can correct me, so this has little bearing on the matte vs glossy debate.

Anyway, I like matte better than glossy aesthetically I think.

Back