360 gets online 3D virtual apartment with MEDIACENTER OPTIONS!! OMGWTF

nintenho

Veteran
http://www.tech.co.uk/computing/int...nnel-for-windows-and-xbox?articleid=128360438
The website also hosts the '3D Coolroom', a virtual 3D loft apartment where users can watch cinema featurettes and interview clips. According to Microsoft, users can customise and own their 3D Coolroom by uploading and displaying personal media such as pictures and videos.

I'm just kidding, it's actually completely different than PS3's HOME and just meant for you to be able to rent or buy movies to watch on PC or 360. It looks like you need to have your 360 connected to a PC (with the right software) to play it from a 360 and everything is downloaded to the PC. The point is that you can download and watch shows or movies from your sofa but they don't want to force you to get a new PC next to your tv just for tv shows/movies if you already have a 360. it sounds like it'll be interesting, I hope they don't make it so some movies can be downloaded on LIVE but they're not yet out on coolroom or vice versa.

This seems like it's the most interesting topic for the console forum because then there's just more possible speculation and it honestly would seem too stupid of a thing to be a fanboy for. If it should be moved then please move it.

Oh yeah, a 3D apartement meant to simulate a real actual living space in appearance is just totally different compared to HOME. I don't know why anyonw would get the idea they might be similar in any way shape or form! ;)

..Seriouasly. All these companies lie and cheat and steal everything they can get away with from their competitors and they do it completely unashamed too.

What else's new?
Peace.

it's barely tacked onto this. this mostly centers around using your PC and 360 to extend your media collection to your TV. which is a very nice idea and really has nothing to do with a virtual apartment thing which you may or may not be able to access on 360.

The article says it's for XB360, but without a web browser...maybe they're coding a browser engine just for this service into the next firmware?

No opera support. Grumble.

If microsoft don't add a browser, I seriously doubt they would add flash support. Silverlight however... :mrgreen:

[edit]

Well. That was underwhelming :smile2:
There is advertising everywhere, the 3d is pretty terrible - and the controls are ultra clunky. Going backwards reverses the left/right keys.

2cool4me.jpg
It's so real I can almost taste it.

*Oops. What I meant to show was IE using 500mb of ram, to go with the cpu thrashing.

I guess you guys missed the part where it works with Media Center. The 360 supports it via the Media Center Extender. And no, Xbox 360 doesn't have a browser, yet.

Tommy McClain

You'd think they'd add a browser soon with their keyboard kit. I wouldn't mind using the thumbsticks as a mouse... it beats using the wii controller and my shaky hands for typing. :|

Or even have the media center interface with the news, weather... maps... *sigh*...

http://www.tech.co.uk/computing/int...nnel-for-windows-and-xbox?articleid=128360438

I'm just kidding, it's actually completely different than PS3's HOME and just meant for you to be able to rent or buy movies to watch on PC or 360. It looks like you need to have your 360 connected to a PC (with the right software) to play it from a 360 and everything is downloaded to the PC. The point is that you can download and watch shows or movies from your sofa but they don't want to force you to get a new PC next to your tv just for tv shows/movies if you already have a 360. it sounds like it'll be interesting, I hope they don't make it so some movies can be downloaded on LIVE but they're not yet out on coolroom or vice versa.

This seems like it's the most interesting topic for the console forum because then there's just more possible speculation and it honestly would seem too stupid of a thing to be a fanboy for. If it should be moved then please move it.

I am a little confused.

First you say " It looks like you need to have your 360 connected to a PC (with the right software) to play it from a 360 and everything is downloaded to the PC"

Then you say "but they don't want to force you to get a new PC next to your tv just for tv shows/movies if you already have a 360."

:cool: I expected this from Microsoft the moment Sony announced Home. Because of its lower price point, Microsoft will continue to offer visually similar features to PS3 to encourage consumers to compare. The onus is on Sony to differentiate well with its unique offerings (No visual gimmick !).

:cool: I expected this from Microsoft the moment Sony announced Home. Because of its lower price point, Microsoft will continue to offer visually similar features to PS3 to encourage consumers to compare. The onus is on Sony to differentiate well with its unique offerings (No visual gimmick !).

Your going to have to keep anticipating it then, because it is a complete mischaracterization to refer to this as MS's version of Home. The thread title is clearly tongue-in-cheek and the OP says that he was kidding in the first sentence of the post.

What this actually is a 3rd-party developer creating a Media Center-compatible service that uses the "virtual apartment" metaphor and is primarily a storefront to purchase media. The only reason this relates to the 360 at all is because of the 360's ability to act as a Media Center Extender.

The Playstation Home concept and the Coolroom channel are not comparable feature for feature, but they address similar segment with the same metaphor, in the same timeframe.

Both MS and Sony offer their platforms to third party developers, and these platforms are not restricted to PC, PS3 or Xbox 360. Both will extend their tentacles to mobile and other living room appliances.

From individual console consumer's perspective, the services (The movie retailing and viewing aspects) will draw comparison. Whether it's done by a third party or MS may not matter that much to the consumer if Microsoft co-markets it. Both can have similar bullet points in their downloadable movie collaterals (at least in UK).

I expect to see more prominent advancement in augmented reality, downloadable movies and social networking, especially next year, because I saw some (more) money going in this year. Some of these companies like Sony and Coolroom are ready to show their products, and others may attempt to list.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a little confused.
First you say " It looks like you need to have your 360 connected to a PC (with the right software) to play it from a 360 and everything is downloaded to the PC"
Then you say "but they don't want to force you to get a new PC next to your tv just for tv shows/movies if you already have a 360."
I'm fairly certain they let you connect the 360 to the PC by cable or by wireless router.

I am a little confused.

What's confusing? It downloads the content to the PC and then streams it to the Xbox 360. Therefore your PC can be in its normal spot and the Xbox 360 in its normal spot... not sure where the confusion lies unless you were thinking something like a physical cable directly from PC to Xbox 360 which certainly would not be the case. Just a part of a home network.

I got the impression that the last sentence said that you dont need a new PC to watch movies etc if you already have a 360. But now that he explained it to me he was referring to the placement of the PC. Not that it is not needed

Back