360 Falcon: 50% cheaper to manufacture?

22psi

Veteran
http://www.xbox360wire.co.uk/2007/07/18/redesigned-falcon-xbox-360-coming-sooner-rather-than-later/

Today, word escaped from Asian component manufacturers that Microsoft have accelerated the planning for the redesigned Xbox 360 mainboard. Project ‘Falcon’ as it’s known internally aims to reduce the size of the main console components such as CPU & GPU from the standard 90-nanometer process down to 65-nanometer. Smaller components mean less power is required to drive the console which has the benefit of producing less heat. There is no information available at the moment to suggest the GPU will be moved from it’s current troubled location directly under the DVD-ROM drive.

Another outcome from the redesign, and possibly a more important factor is a reduction in costs. Moving from 90 to 65 nanometer fabrication could in fact reduce component costs by a staggering 50%. A price cut from Microsoft later in 2007 is widely expected and should place the 360 in a good position as we move forward in to the festive season. I would expect to see a cut of around 20% of RRP sometime between September and November when the ‘Falcon’ 360’s are set to arrive on store shelves.

Hurry up with this MS!

No no no... man these guys are crazy!

We'd need to know what the actual die size at 65nm vs 90nm for the CPU and GPU would be, and only then we could surmise a little more about what the costs could theoretically - over time and for those components - move down to as the process matures. And it's not all clear cut, because in Microsoft's situation their costs will be determined also by whatever they come to in terms of an agreement with TSMC.

Anyway, so certainly not 50% from this alone, but potential for a sizable savings, definitely.

The power supply, motherboard, and RAM all have the potential to enjoy their own trickle down costs savings... but in terms of this news story as it applies to the cost savings, we need to remember that the die shrink - although affecting the most costly components - does not affect the entirety of the system.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be very tempted by a cooler, quieter cheaper core. Use my existing hdd, etc. Give the premium to my parents as a media extender. :)

They have the chance to put pressure on both sony and nintendo with this move.

That's pretty much what I've been waiting for, i.e. $299 Premium. A $299 Elite would be ideal, but I understand that's probably not happening anytime soon. lol.

Then again, I have no intention of using the 360 as a movie player, so it probably doesn't matter; the HDMI-out port.

That's pretty much what I've been waiting for, i.e. $299 Premium. A $299 Elite would be ideal, but I understand that's probably not happening anytime soon. lol.

Then again, I have no intention of using the 360 as a movie player, so it probably doesn't matter; the HDMI-out port.

My guess is that all future revisions of the mobo will have HDMI anyway so unless black and the big HD (and probably an HDMI cable) are must have features you're likely all set.

Yes. I imagine the demand for X360 at $299 would be fairly insane. There's a lot of pent up demand because of the lack of price drop for 20 months. Especially when Halo 3 and GTAIV ship.

My guess is that all future revisions of the mobo will have HDMI anyway so unless black and the big HD (and probably an HDMI cable) are must have features you're likely all set.

hm... ya I would have thought it'd make sense for them to make the HDMI a standard rather than to have two different manufacturing lines setup for HANA/HDMI and ANA/non-HDMI...

The Halo 3 edition box is essentially the Elite with a 20GB drive (or Premium with HDMI!). Perhaps it is the beginning of standardized HDMI? And maybe they'll have 65nm ready in time for the Halo 3 Edition too. *shrug*

I'll be buyin' one of these things eventually for EAsports NHL and Fight Night, as they aren't available in any form on the Wii. This sounds like things are steering in the right direction.

hm... ya I would have thought it'd make sense for them to make the HDMI a standard rather than to have two different manufacturing lines setup for HANA/HDMI and ANA/non-HDMI...

The Halo 3 edition box is essentially the Elite with a 20GB drive (or Premium with HDMI!). Perhaps it is the beginning of standardized HDMI? And maybe they'll have 65nm ready in time for the Halo 3 Edition too. *shrug*

Just a question would it not be cheaper to have all falcons output HDMI? I know there are costs to it but would that not be cheaper than having 2 assembly lines and 2 mother boards ect? I figured the 65nm revision would have HDMI on all SKUs.

Just a question would it not be cheaper to have all falcons output HDMI? I know there are costs to it but would that not be cheaper than having 2 assembly lines and 2 mother boards ect?

That's what I'm saying. ;)

it'd make sense for them to make the HDMI a standard rather than to have two different manufacturing lines setup for HANA/HDMI and ANA/non-HDMI...

That article is rather misleading. It's farther along than you think. The Falcon has been in production for the last couple of weeks. MS is ready for a price drop even now as I type.

The power supply, motherboard, and RAM all have the potential to enjoy their own trickle down costs savings... but in terms of this news story as it applies to the cost savings, we need to remember that the die shrink - although affecting the most costly components - does not affect the entirety of the system.

Supposedly they're going to redesign the mobo and PSU too when they do the die shrink, 50% is alot but its not impossible if they do it right.

No no no... man these guys are crazy!

Supposedly they're going to redesign the mobo and PSU too when they do the die shrink, 50% is alot but its not impossible if they do it right.

Yes --- The northbridge of the system has been drastically reduced. Along with both chips. Power Supply. Heat Sinks. And overall internal metal casing of the system.

Apparently, the migration to Falcon is a gradual process that culminates in a smaller form factor. ;)

Microsoft Corp. will take a phased approach to updating its Xbox 360 videogame console. Following the footsteps of the Sony Playstation2, Microsoft is gradually moving its existing chips to new process technologies as it evolves toward a smaller, quieter, cooler system dubbed Falcon.

It's not clear exactly when Microsoft will roll out its Falcon version of the Xbox 360. The source close to the company said Microsoft plans to introduce multiple flavors of the system over time, each with its own internal and external code-names.

Each new version generally integrates or moves to new process technologies various chips inside the box. At some point Microsoft will redesign the case, making it noticeably smaller and quieter for the version likely known as Falcon.

Source: EETimes.com

Apparently, the migration to Falcon is a gradual process that culminates in a smaller form factor. ;)

Microsoft Corp. will take a phased approach to updating its Xbox 360 videogame console. Following the footsteps of the Sony Playstation2, Microsoft is gradually moving its existing chips to new process technologies as it evolves toward a smaller, quieter, cooler system dubbed Falcon.

It's not clear exactly when Microsoft will roll out its Falcon version of the Xbox 360. The source close to the company said Microsoft plans to introduce multiple flavors of the system over time, each with its own internal and external code-names.

Each new version generally integrates or moves to new process technologies various chips inside the box. At some point Microsoft will redesign the case, making it noticeably smaller and quieter for the version likely known as Falcon.

Source: EETimes.com

This is happening over the course of 6 months. It started in May already. When Xenos went to 65nm. Now that MS has bled the retailer space dry. They are ready to start putting the new hardware on shelves. Retailers already know when the price drop will hit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back