300k x360 to ship this week - 1.5million by Dec

I wonder if things will slow down right after christmas...

edit: I mean people not buying.

Slay said:
I'm under the very strong impression that the analyst is talking about global numbers not US ones.
Hes talking about 300k more shipped to the US but 1.5million worldwide total.

Slay said:
I'm under the very strong impression that the analyst is talking about global numbers not US ones.

Who said these were US #'s?

It really hosws how quickly production is ramping up I think.
3 weeks ago - They could barely muster 330k units forthe NA launch, half of what they wanted
2 weeks ago - 300k units for Europe,
this week - 300k units, with another 500k to come within the next 2 weeks.

800,000 units in the next 3 weeks. That's more than they were able to make over the last 2 months comnbined (or whenever stockpiling began for the Nov 22 launch)

Sounds like things are really kicking into gear.

Alpha_Spartan said:
Kicking into gear my ass. Can you say manufactured shortage?

They could've doubled or tripled their initial shipments and still sold out with ease, so I find that hard to believe.

Thet forcasted 700-800k for the NA launch but only sold 330k. I think it's safe to say there was a real shortage.

McNealy said that he expects the console to sell just over 1.5 million units by the end of December

Did all the units in Europe sell out? Japan won't sell out. N.A. should sell out... They've still got to ship about 500K-550K more to reach sales of 1.5M.

Last edited by a moderator:
scooby_dooby said:
They could've doubled or tripled their initial shipments and still sold out with ease, so I find that hard to believe.

Thet forcasted 700-800k for the NA launch but only sold 330k. I think it's safe to say there was a real shortage.
And nothing sucks more than not having any units to sell on Black Friday.

scooby_dooby said:
There wouldn't have been any launch shortage hype and Ebay frenzy. Holding units = free marketing.

there's obviously a balance between creating the hype and satisying the demand, most would say they were on the low to very low side of that scale at the NA launch. There was alot of breathing room for them to add another 600k units to the US launch and still get the exact same headlines.

imho ms should have waited til they have doa4 ,enchant arm and/or blue dragon for japanese launch , there are waaay too many ppl waiting to get their hand on 360s in north america and europe, while thousands of systems are collecting dust on japanese shelves.

At 1.5 million in 40 days they could hit the 100 million mark in just over 7 years, so either they are off to a really slow start or they don't plan to sell nearly that many consoles.

kyleb said:
At 1.5 million in 40 days they could hit the 100 million mark in just over 7 years, so either they are off to a really slow start or they don't plan to sell nearly that many consoles.

That assumes that production capacity is static.

Hence the "either they are off to a really slow start" comment. But they did recently talk about 3 million in 90 days so it doesn't sound like it will be picking up much any time soon.

I'd say it is a bit of both:

They're obviously off to a slow start and I don't think they seriously think they'll sell anywhere near 100 million units. They might WANT to, but no way in hell that is gonna happen.

So the next gen score to date: Microsoft 1 milliion, Sony 0.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill said:
So the next gen score to date: Microsoft 1 milliion, Sony 0.
Ninteno 0 also if you put it that way.

this is interesting Q&A from PSM that kinda relates to this.

PSM: How much of an impact on PS3 will Microsoft's head start with Xbox360- however long it may be-have?

Jack Tretton:
I consider myself womewhat of a student of history, and while I don't think that the past is ever any guarantee of the future, a couple of things I like to point out factually that clearly are indicative of what you can expect going forward. Number one, we've never been the first platform to market. When we original launched the Playstation, the Sega Saturn hit the market before we did and ultimately that didn't help them prevail. The last time around with Playstation 2, the dreamcast hit the market first and ultimately that didn't help them prevail. Number two, if you say that this generation really came down to a battle between us and Microsoft, we sold three million PS2s before it hit the shelves in the States and if you look at the score now, it's 34 million for PS2 to roughly 14 million for Xbox. I think that, in Microsoft's mind, that three million we sold was really paramount. As far as what it would take for a lead by Microsoft to be significant, I don't think it's a matter of time, but rather a matter of units.
hope its ok to post this, read the rest here.
http://www.ps3forums.com/viewtopic.php?p=177455#177455

Bad_Boy said:
Ninteno 0 also if you put it that way.

this is interesting Q&A from PSM that kinda relates to this.

hope its ok to post this, read the rest here.
http://www.ps3forums.com/viewtopic.php?p=177455#177455
In regards to the quote: they play real lose with history. The Dreamcast was actually moderately successful and who knows where'd it'd be today had Sega not run out of money (or not burned so many bridges?).

The "only 3 million PS2s" is slight of hand, for if I recall that is only NA market. Overall I thought they were sitting around 10 million when the Xbox shipped. The point isn't the number of units headstart, it's about capturing the attention of developers with market and mind share, which the PS2 was very successful at doing.

.Sis

Back