3 petite girl singers, putting men to shame

I won't deny that these ladies may have bigger balls than other metal singers. When compared to say, Stephen Colbert roasting the most powerful man in the world in front of his colleagues, I see little comparison. It wouldn't be any easier for those ladies if they went out there and sang folk music.

Nite_Hawk

It doesn't mean it is not art. I disagree with his methods of killing animals and wouldn't be opposed to someone impaling him for his injustice to the world.

I've always had a big problem with this take on "art" as I feel it completely trivializes true art. Arts used to be nothing more then skills that had realized the highest level of perfection in the day. Now it's become this pretentious money scheme about finding the next big "undiscovered" piece of crap and promoting it as the opposite. Like politics! hahaha... I'll leave that for RPSC...

Just my take... Sonic I'd be extremely interested in hearing your take on the the piece of art called "Gnaw" in which the artist chewed on giant blocks of chocolate and then lard, and somehow that made it art.

If I am eating dinner and spit out some food, is it art? I mean had she gnawed the chocolate into some amazing sculpture with her teeth, now THAT would be artful, but just gnawing random pieces off and then laughing all the way to the bank? That's trivial pretentiousness. I'll leave you with this parting thought: A screever's an artist of highest degree. ;-)

I think the comparison of growling / screaming singing to the modern "art" is quite far fetched.

Sure, growling / screaming takes some time to get used to, but once you do, you will find every "classic" characteristic of singing from the growling / screaming, too (assuming the singer is talented, of course)

edit:
I'm in a hurry, so this isn't the best example, but anyway
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTwcPADjffo this is according to most more growling than http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTwcPADjffo - but it's definately also more melodic and has more of the "basic characteristics" of singing

Last edited by a moderator:
Urgh, Prolly should have put that in a new thread, mods go ahead if you see fit lol, but my take on the growling is different, as I can still see Kaotik's point on pitch changes and rythm stuff. Growling isn't my favorite vocal style, but I can appreciate it for what it is. The best growlers seem to be at least as musical as a decent didjeridoo player, and I definitely consider that music so it all pretty well falls into place. Anyway, my brain's somewhere else this morning lol, sorry for the fairly wandering path this took. ^^

Haha, Kaotik you beat me to post! I promise I wasn't trying to lump actual musicians in with the money grubbing 'artistic' ponzi schemers.

I have no problem with the specific work of art "Gnaw" being considered art. It needn't be good to be considered art and it can be a complete piece of trash compared to other artists. I would say that Janine Antoni is somewhat talented as she has done sculptures from eating chocolate and lard.

http://www.pbs.org/art21/artists/antoni/art_sculpture.html#

That's a decent link to some of her work, Gnaw included. Lick and Lather is a find demonstration of what she can do with sculpting.

If someone wants to spend money on it then no big deal. They wasted their money, not mine.

As far as comparing musicians to artistic ponzi schemers is it really no different? Performance art is just that, a performance. Much of it can be compared to Britney Spears who is an entertainer with a lack of good musical talent. People still pay money to see her, though I have little idea as to why. There are those I've talked to that feel Britney Spears is a very talented artist and it is futile to argue with such idiots.

Growling again is subjective. Some will find it abhorrant and talentless and others will find a quality in there like Kaotik where they can discern the different pitches and tone. That's not to say it is good music again, as that is highly subjective.

My personal opinion of growling is really that it can make a good song. Opeth is a fine example of that where the guy knows how to growl but he can also sing his ass off. Plus the composition of their songs makes for a good time in bed.

Quick edit:

I've bought many pieces of art that are of significant value to me because they strike certain thoughts or emotions within me. Some of this art is so abstract some of my friends just don't get it and I'm fine with that. They've got works of art hanging on their walls that I personally find nothing more than pieces of trash, but they like it for whatever their reasons are so I can't knock them on it.

I'm also a big fan of traditional art, especially Dutch Renaissance. They knew what they were doing!

That was a fine riposte, haha. I can see exactly what you mean. I tend to get upset when those types of pieces are dubbed 'good' or 'amazing' or 'fill in the blank', and then championed as such and anyone who cannot see why is clearly an obtuse uncultured swine. Thinking about it now, these types are actually like rare little gems in the sea of art showings I've been to; they just stand out so much that it attracts my attention a lot more then the normal people just appreciating it in their own ways.

When I was re-looking up gnaw after that post I did see the Lick and Lather busts, so she *is* very clearly a talented sculptor... which I dunno... in a way almost makes 'Gnaw' seem like more of a cop out.

Back