2700G at the Fuel Pump

Lazy8s

Veteran
Embedded computer terminals like those color displays at gas pumps used for advertisement, instructions, and information are ideal targets for portable multimedia chips. In the past, their video has typically been choppy.

Dresser Wayne, a producer of fuel dispensers, has developed the Intel 2700G-powered iX technology platform for their Ovation line. The smooth full-motion video and graphics capabilities can allow for more attractive advertising like TV-quality commercials and for a more effective display of information.

An integrated Ovation iX dispenser is run by a 624-MHz XScale set-up, similar to the Dell Axim X50v PDA, with 128-MB of RAM and another 128-MB of flash memory, and outputs with a 10.4 inch screen. Home Depot mini-marts are already using them.

http://www.pocketnow.com/index.php?a=portal_detail&t=news&id=3626

DispenseriX1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
They're embedded systems (ARM based) with a need for highly integrated processing solutions, to which handheld graphics accelerators are best suited.

Lazy8s said:
They're embedded systems (ARM based) with a need for highly integrated processing solutions, to which handheld graphics accelerators are best suited.
Oh come on now. Why should we even care? It's a FUEL PUMP for christs sakes.

I can't even believe someone would actually make a topic like this on a gaming-centric site...

*G*

my fuel pump already has a color touch screen (maybe 16 colors), I don't want it to be with advertisement, thousands of colors and 3D, thanks. I'd prefer it to be faster when it checks my bank card (must be using some slow dial-up modem).

why exactly would a gas pump need more than something like a Z80?

People filling their cars with gas represent a very large potential captive audience for ads (they're certainly not supposed to pass the time by being on their cellphones near the pump, at least.) These displays are often separate screens used for showing ads, and the sharpness of the display and smoothness of the video playback needed to better grab the attention of the customer requires a chip with good acceleration for video and for the display.

Back