2023 IQ is unacceptable [spawn]

trinibwoy

Meh
Legend
Supporter
[Mod edit (Pete): This “discussion” was excised from the Digital Foundry thread from whence it came. This thread’s title was chosen to amuse me, not to belittle trini’s complaint.]

There really needs to be a revolution in asset detail. There are some really low poly rocks and trees etc in RE4. I thought all of these low level apis would allow for tons of draw calls and lots more rendered triangles. Sad state of affairs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get that it also needs to run on last gen consoles. There’s no technical reason they couldn’t ship higher fidelity assets on current gen just like they did for textures.
Why the heck would they waste time on that? They have enough problems just shipping the game itself with all the skus and versions optimized. High textures are much easier to downgrade and don't need to be created for individual skus.

Cross gen games are okay. And for that matter slightly lower fidelity games in general are also okay, if the devs can get a bit more sleep. People need to realize in this age even mainstream hw like the current consoles are powerful enough to make things less of a technical challenge and more of a budget and resources challenge

Not going to happen until we ditch old consoles and raise the minimum PC spec to 2070/6600xt level.
It's not because of PS4 (BTW the game is not on XB1). We are talking about PS3 (PS2 even) textures meant to be displayed at 720p or lower. Sometimes it's shocking. PS4 hardware allows for high quality textures everywhere (Infamous Second son, God of War etc.).

Not going to happen until we ditch old consoles and raise the minimum PC spec to 2070/6600xt level.

All you need on the PC side is a 2060/3050 or 6500XT (not the 6400XT, thats a complete joke).

Resolution, settings and even frame rate can drop below the consoles on a min spec PC with no problem and all of those GPU's are in or above the Series S performance league. But you need the DX12U feature set to be the baseline.

It's not because of PS4 (BTW the game is not on XB1). We are talking about PS3 (PS2 even) textures meant to be displayed at 720p or lower. Sometimes it's shocking. PS4 hardware allows for high quality textures everywhere (Infamous Second son, God of War etc.).

And those games have weaker geometry, lighting and other aspects of the rendering which takes up VRAM and thus leaves less for textures.

It might not be RAM thing either, it might be limited by the HDD in PS4.

Why the heck would they waste time on that? They have enough problems just shipping the game itself with all the skus and versions optimized. High textures are much easier to downgrade and don't need to be created for individual skus.

Cross gen games are okay. And for that matter slightly lower fidelity games in general are also okay, if the devs can get a bit more sleep. People need to realize in this age even mainstream hw like the current consoles are powerful enough to make things less of a technical challenge and more of a budget and resources challenge

Not to rehash the same old conversation but it’s not my job to provide developers with a balanced work environment.

I would much rather them waste time on shipping multiple LODs of random rock #47 than a pointless RT implementation that adds nothing to the game. Seriously there are some assets that look like they’re made out of just 7 or 8 triangles. Completely ridiculous even for PS4.

Not to rehash the same old conversation but it’s not my job to provide developers with a balanced work environment.

I would much rather them waste time on shipping multiple LODs of random rock #47 than a pointless RT implementation that adds nothing to the game. Seriously there are some assets that look like they’re made out of just 7 or 8 triangles. Completely ridiculous even for PS4.
That's quite the attitude. Don't get offended when people say you are part of the problem

No idea what you mean.
"Customer expectation" is one of the main excuses for crushing devs into the dirt by publishers, which is directly related to the subpar quality these products come out with paradoxically.

The more people ignore the people doing the job over more and more surface level production values, the worse the industry productivity will become and the worse products we will get

"Why didn't they create an entirely different asset pipeline on top of the one they were already working on for different skus of the game, launch it all at the same time and with the same polish? It shouldent be an issue! By the way, im not interested in the actual answers to the question or what the challenges the devs have to deal with in general"

Every single game has issues with some incredibly poor assets in places and I never see you complaining about them so please stop with the fake outrage in regard to RE4 Remake.

Every single game has issues with some incredibly poor assets in places and I never see you complaining about them so please stop with the fake outrage in regard to RE4 Remake.
Bit funny hearing you talk about fake outrage.

I do agree with you here for once, that every game has weak points when you search for them. But I'd also agree with the other person that ray tracing wouldn't be the panacea that suddenly makes RE4 Remake look next gen. There are more fundamental aspects that really need to be pushed to help it look more cutting edge. It is certainly a nice looking game, but not anything to ooh and awe over, either.

Bit funny hearing you talk about fake outrage.
Why?
I do agree with you here for once, that every game has weak points when you search for them.
Indeed they do.
But I'd also agree with the other person that ray tracing wouldn't be the panacea that suddenly makes RE4 Remake look next gen.
RT doesn't make 99% of the games that have it look 'next gen'
There are more fundamental aspects that really need to be pushed to help it look more cutting edge.
But is it trying to be cutting edge? Were the developers aiming for that level?
It is certainly a nice looking game, but not anything to ooh and awe over, either.
I don't think it's trying to be the absolute cutting edge?

Last edited:
"Customer expectation" is one of the main excuses for crushing devs into the dirt by publishers, which is directly related to the subpar quality these products come out with paradoxically.

The more people ignore the people doing the job over more and more surface level production values, the worse the industry productivity will become and the worse products we will get

"Why didn't they create an entirely different asset pipeline on top of the one they were already working on for different skus of the game, launch it all at the same time and with the same polish? It shouldent be an issue! By the way, im not interested in the actual answers to the question or what the challenges the devs have to deal with in general"

Nah sorry don’t buy it. Blaming customers for shitty work culture is pure nonsense. customers should demand quality for their money. That’s not an excuse to run companies poorly.

Lol what? Did somebody anoint you the internet outrage police? You need to step all the way back.

what? Did somebody anoint you the internet outrage police? You need to step all the way back.

I'm not the one raging about a texture on an internet forum like it's personally attacked me.

So I would suggest you follow your own advice and step all the way back as you're posting is nothing but trolling at this point as it's adding absolutely nothing to this TECHNICAL thread.

Instead of raging over the quality of the textures have a constructive and technical argument as to why the game may have some textures like that when other games don't.

Back