2 days to Vegas. Next gen game

Those cars do look nice. But I think things would look even better if some of the cars weren't right off the lot. Heh, even that big tanker looks like it was just polished.

I am REALLy impressed with lighting on teh yellow BMW, but in the city... i want realistic lighting not dramatic lighting in games...

some good texturing...

Take out the people and it would have fooled me into thinking it was real.

Those tires look real :oops:

holy ****! imagine a GTA game with graphics like that! :oops:

damn... can't wait!

oh and, if the cars in this game look this good, imagine what PD will be able to do for GT5!?

Awesome! And it's a first generation game too. I believe it when people say the technical leap from PS2 to PS3 will be greater than from PS1 to PS2.

BTW is this for PS3 or 360? I think 360 could pull this off, and assuming PS3 is going to be even more powerful, just imagine what a big powerful developer like Square could do next generation...

Though these are the sort of visuals I was hoping for, now I see them I don't believe them! I think primarily the shadows seem too good. There's soft shadows in the GI lit areas, and stencil shadows in the directly lit areas. I guess now i think about it, it's no huge deal; just something I haven't seen before.

But also, look at the detail in the fourth image of the guy standing in front of the off-license. His feet curve up slightly at the front as real shoes do. Will modellers really go to such detail?

I guess there's no pleasing some people!

Shifty Geezer said:
Though these are the sort of visuals I was hoping for, now I see them I don't believe them! I think primarily the shadows seem too good. There's soft shadows in the GI lit areas, and stencil shadows in the directly lit areas. I guess now i think about it, it's no huge deal; just something I haven't seen before.

But also, look at the detail in the fourth image of the guy standing in front of the off-license. His feet curve up slightly at the front as real shoes do. Will modellers really go to such detail?

I guess there's no pleasing some people!
That's just the sort of thing I want in next gen titles. Just because the technology is advancing linearly does not mean the artists should follow the same path they always have. Instead of drawing their interpretation of what a shoe looks like (which is about as detailed as any 3rd grader would describe it), they need to be making a shoe as it actually appears. Same as with the rest of the characters and the worlds they inhabit. And I'm not saying everything needs to be realistic, but detailed enough to be believable. CG-reality was the goal of this generation, and I think believability should be the goal of the next.

Not gonna comment on how i think it's all fake, all i'm gonna say is that if a first gen game in the next generation looks like this, i'm a happy bunny.

london-boy said:
Not gonna comment on how i think it's all fake, all i'm gonna say is that if a first gen game in the next generation looks like this, i'm a happy bunny.

let me say then that i have my doubts about your happy bunniness.

darkblu said:
london-boy said:

let me say then that i have my doubts about your happy bunniness.

Great, u broke the ice, so can i comment now on how i think it's teh fayk?!!!11!2

I believe it should be technically possible to have that level of graphics. My only doubt is that a company would go to the trouble to create an entire game world with that level of detail. But I'm optimistic, and I've been surprised a few times in this gen alone, by the achievements of some small developers trying to make a name for themselves.

Dare I say those gfx look almost photorealistic ,for a video game anyway. If this is what GTA4 may look like on a ps3. Sign me up now. I love the pic of the truck, especially the tires.

Iron Tiger said:
I believe it should be technically possible to have that level of graphics. My only doubt is that a company would go to the trouble to create an entire game world with that level of detail.

Extend to that, how likely is a company going to track down and tie real physical values to every single component detail you see modeled in order to run a physics engine... ;) The scale of content creation to really push the hardware legitimately next generation will be staggering, I think.

Wouldn't it be ironic if the PS3 developer platform contained an "artificial artist engine" to simulate a team of artists creating content for the game? :p Then there will be vigorous rumoring asking if there will be an "AAEU" chip...

Back