17" LCD for gaming?

Altcon

Regular
After fishing around on the net a bit I've come to two conclusions about LCD's:
a)None are perfect
b)Reviews are hard to find (only Toms and Xbit supplied me with reliable reviews)

I'm not looking for a super ultra highend $1000+ model, but a home one which suits for gaming, movies and is sharp (for reading a lot). I am willing to spend 500 + some on it.

So far the viewsonic vx724 seems the best choice.
Any advice or site review linkage is apreciated...

help....

I figured someone here would know since the screen is the output mechanism of all the wonderfull GPU's...
anybody here have any ideas?

$500 is overkill for a decent 17" gaming LCD. You could get the new VX922 19" with cash to spare. The NEC LCD1980Fxi is supposed to be good too but I think that's a little over budget.

Dell 2005FPW (20" wide, 16080x1050 S-IPS) is another possibility. Would be a good choice for movies.

16080x1050 now that is a great resolution ;)

Belinea have a new model out that is similar in spec to the Dell 2005 Widescreen model.

Do a search for the Belinea 102035W

MuFu said:
$500 is overkill for a decent 17" gaming LCD. You could get the new VX922 19" with cash to spare. The NEC LCD1980Fxi is supposed to be good too but I think that's a little over budget.

Dell 2005FPW (20" wide, 16080x1050 S-IPS) is another possibility. Would be a good choice for movies.

My bad, I should've been clearer on the price point, 500$ is the US costs of these LCD's. I am not in the US. Just for a comparison the VX922 is 710$ here (at it's cheapest, from an unreliable store), so that's why I figured I'd shoot for a premium gaming 17" LCD.
What I'm aiming for is a good home 17" LCD which supplies adequate gaming, movies and is sharp, I guess the US price range shouldn't be over 400$.
You seem very knowledgable, and 17" recomendations?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeez where are you? Can you buy one and get it shipped to you wherever you are at? Get someone to get it for you as a "present" ;)

I have found 16ms to be no issue. Some people tho do..? I prefer the lowest dotperinch. Seems alot of 6ms are not as fine.

How about Samsung SM770P ? You can get it for around £250-300 and it's got very fast response time (6ms) and high contrast ration (1500:1) and would be ideal for gaming. However, if you really want to spend £500 then I'd look at a bigger monitor.

MuFu said:
Some options here: http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,121784,00.asp

Found that link through Google - not sure if other people can back up their findings. The vx724 does look like a sound choice if reponse times are critical to you.

You might find this a useful read too: http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/07/20/are_17/index.html
did you see the actual scores ("points") they get?
it almost seems if they're just not worth buying....
man, this is gonna be tough.

Diplo said:
How about Samsung SM770P ? You can get it for around £250-300 and it's got very fast response time (6ms) and high contrast ration (1500:1) and would be ideal for gaming. However, if you really want to spend £500 then I'd look at a bigger monitor.
It seems it's not available here...
Nor, have I found any bias-free reviews....
Do you happen to have some linkage?

Sxotty said:
Jeez where are you? Can you buy one and get it shipped to you wherever you are at? Get someone to get it for you as a "present" ;)
Depends, do you think customs will overlook it as a tax oppurtunity?
I have family in the US.
From my experience, they made me pay tax for a FREE repair of an old 200$ GPU, so I', guessing it won't fly...

Tahir2 said:
16080x1050 now that is a great resolution ;)

Belinea have a new model out that is similar in spec to the Dell 2005 Widescreen model.

Do a search for the Belinea 102035W
I like how they threw in a good old CRT for good measure:D

MuFu said:
Samsung SyncMaster 740B? Looks alright.
As long as you're Beta testing, what's it like?
Im pretty close to gold....
Anyway, I don't know, that's the whole problem, I googled many reviews
and I don't know who to trust for reviews.
Seems the vx724 is the best of the bunch, but no one has recomended it whole heartedly...

Back