16 pipes for R420 too?

Discussion in 'Pre-release GPU Speculation' started by whql, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. madshi

Regular

I posted the link to the full definition, didn't I? And I didn't quote the part that was "convenient to me", but the part that explained how "FUD" is seen "after 1990". I thought that would be more relevant in 2004 then how "FUD" was seen before 1990. :D

2. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Isn't that called "a taste of your own medicine"?

I'd be surprised if we see it though, given the "close" relationship we see between Nvidia and those bigger, infamous hardware review sites. I suspect we'll see a slant towards Nvidia regardless, just because Nvidia's PR are better/more ruthless at getting the kinds of results they want to see in reviews.

3. Joe DeFuria

Legend

Could very well be true.

I'll just be happy if ATI uses bleeding edge memory for once. ;) I am in fact, inclined to believe that your above guess is actually pretty close in terms of memory. (500 Mhz for Pro, 600 Mhz for XT).

4. Evildeus

Veteran

Hehe sorry then, but i was writing with in mind the first definition (in fact i didn't bother to look at the M$ definition at the time of my initial post, thanks for correcting me, i'll try to use the correct one from now, but it's the first part that was my point ;))

5. {Sniping}Waste

Regular

My Micron sorce is telling me that there sell all the GDDR3 mem they can make now up to 833/1666.

6. Evildeus

Veteran

Hehe ;) now let's us find out what is the core clock.

From what i've seen, Nv seems to have a poorer bandwhich memory efficiency than Ati. am i right?

7. Joe DeFuria

Legend

If true, the question is...is someone buying them for products this spring...or perhaps stocking up now on the limited quantity for a fall product?

8. Lecram25

Newcomer

I find that quite ironic; history repeating itself, again...

I'm sure we all remember when the Voodoo 5 came out, OMGWTFMOLEXCONNECTOR!!!!1!!1!

Funny enough, "soon" afterwards, molex connectors on video cards became somewhat standard. :roll:

And when XGI "released" (mind you it still does not exist in the US) the Volari Duo V8 Ultra, which ironically enough, had two (2) molex connectors, people once again jumped on that whole "omgwt..." molex bandwagon.
    And now, it seems that the canucks will be sporting this dual molex "feature".

Point is, there's a reason for everything, and the IHVs might *GASP* actually know what they're doing. :wink:

i.e. GET A NEW PSU [​IMG]

9. anaqer

Veteran

They were referring to the buzzer as a "sound cancellation device".

10. madshi

Regular

No problem. I just didn't understand why you had a bit of a problem with getting information about R420. I mean I'd like to know right *NOW* how NV50 and NV60 and R500 and R600 will look like... :p

11. Evildeus

Veteran

Really? Hmmm sounds good. 8) :shock:

12. anaqer

Veteran

HELL NO.

If you need the extra juice, buck up and ship with a bloody external power brick. No leechin' 100+ watts from the system PSU.

13. Evildeus

Veteran

Well, i would also. And i like to learn these things ;) But i think that when firms give some information, the objective is not to be nice with people :twisted:

14. keegdsb

Newcomer

Those damn cards cost enough, it's ridiculous to tack on $60+ for a better PSU.

15. Joe DeFuria

Legend

I agree 100%.

I'd much rather see a return of the Voodoo Volts, than to have to wonder if my PSU is going to be up to snuff. The current high-end products from ATI and nVidia are bad enough as it is wrt power supplies and system stability.

I'm all for pushing the envelope, and making cards with higher power consumption....but at 100+ Watts....it's time to plug it directly into the wall...

16. reever

Newcomer

Umm what? relative perofmrnace must mean nothing to you right? These new chips will likely have twice the performance of the V8 duo, which once again makes it look stupidly unneccesary to have 2 molexes

17. Joe DeFuria

Legend

Based on current products (NV3x vs. R3xx), I'd say that's correct. Though that doesn't particularly mean much for NV40 vs. R420.

18. PatrickL

Veteran

Dave Baumann said about the R420:

Kills pretty much Inquirer story no ?

19. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

At the moment I don't think thats accurate.

20. Raystream

Newcomer

Umm...?

Whatever happen to all the GDDR-3 that Micron sent both Nvidia and ATI as test samples? Wasn't that a couple of thousand sets of chips?

Raystream

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.