16 Core Larrabee ?

It's not conceptually difficult to scale a design with 32 otherwise identical units down to 16.
The max ring-bus granularity is 16, so that could happen relatively easily.

I thought larrabee was a gpu ?
never heard of a multi core gpu before

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AFi6y1Ap-c

This isn't in english, but it seems to be showing a 16 core version of Larrabee running games and 3D modeling/simulation apps.

the video shows a shot of a chip, with some little swirly things representing cores.

its not a real floorplan shot. and it doesnt appear to be an add-on card. perhaps its future looking.

regardless, I would categorize that as marketing. and not worry about it.

It should be able to run 8 or even 4 cores no problem. Its design is built to scale to various numbers of cores. I think the first LRB chips may well be 16 cores, 32 may be too ambitious / power hungry at this point in time to be practical, especially considering that it doesn't seem likely LRB will be used as a desktop CPU.

I wonder if LRB will succeed at all, though it's definitely a necessary step that has to be taken by Intel in terms of research and development. In order to be successful, Intel will have to have some interesting breakthroughs in software development rather than hardware development, me thinks.

There was a die shot a while back that showed 32 cores, so it seems that Intel was just able to fit that many into an admittedly large die.

There was a die shot a while back that showed 32 cores, so it seems that Intel was just able to fit that many into an admittedly large die.

Oh I'm sure it's possible right now, and it would work, but if LRB isn't the main processor, I'm thinking its heat output, power consumption and manufacturing requirements have to meet certain requirements not met by the 32 core version.

Oh I'm sure it's possible right now, and it would work, but if LRB isn't the main processor, I'm thinking its heat output, power consumption and manufacturing requirements have to meet certain requirements not met by the 32 core version.

and you know that how?

and you know that how?

I don't at all. I'm just guessing (fairly wildly) based on what I read so far. I'll remember this post and make sure to eat crow when it turns out to be wildly false. ;)

If LRB launched this year as a GPU, everyone would be less than impressed. LRB is a lot of things, amongst being a GPU.

Jack of all trades, master of none? :LOL: In theory you could use LRB for a central processing unit too, as long as you don't care about performance it shouldn't hurt anyone.

get your plate and silverware ready, Intel has already confirmed a 32-core chip, and I posted about this months ago, see

http://www.futuregpu.org/2009/05/more-lrb-info-leaks.html

:)

To be fair though, that says up-to 32 cores. If the first production runs are 50% 16 core versions I'll leave my silverware dusty and black, if you don't mind. ;) Oh and if they're 24 core only because they disable 8 to improve production yields, I'll give you that one. ;)

Back