120 new PS 2 games with online compatibility till end 2004!

hmmm, I severly doubt they will rlease that many online titles between now and the end of the year. but that's just a gut feeling I have.

I want to see huge posters with a three month calendar on it where there is a gamename on each day ... even if I'm sure that that would be a nearly impossible stunt to release the games exactly at those days. ;)

Fredi

Well, let's see what online compatibility entails. In the Xbox world it can mean just about anything, including Prince of Persia. That game is online compatible but makes no use of it in any comelling way. Maybe Sony will let you talk to others while playing the game.

That must include some games already released in the last couple of months, like the sports games.

IOW, stuff released since E3?

Sony always talks about "years" in fiscal terms (and otherwise mentions dates specifically, really), but even so 120 between now and end of March would be impressive.

And so I must assume this means "scheduled" (along with the questionable "what does 'online capability' mean?" -- though on the whole since they don't have much support for "content downloading" now, I tend to assume some form of online play. Though it also might be things like "online ranking" or something simple like that that developers are getting into just to toss on an Online tag for marketing purposes), which means a good quarter-to-third of them will be pushed past due to delays regardless. :p

It seems people are misreading, though. Quoth the press release:

During the year-end peak-selling season about 80 online game titles are expected to be available in Japan, with 120 titles and 65 titles respectively in North America and Europe.

Not 120 new titles, but 120 online titles "available" in North America. And if you go by their current listing, they have 100 now.

So yes, 2004's year end (calendar not fiscal, since they mention "peak-selling season"), but they're only talking about ~20 more titles than they have listed up there right now.

That's ones not even marketing talk. And certainly we know fucking marketing talk from Sony! :p That one just seems to be "over-excited reporting" or somesuch.

Well, if it's normal talk, they should say something like: There will be 20 new games by end of this (fiscal) year, which will bring the total games count for PS2 to 120.

Not really. Companies rarely talk about how many people they expect to add--they talk about what levels they expect to be at. Look at MMORPGs. Look at online numbers themselves (Live subscriptions or Sony's count.) Look at game sales every time they hit a notable tier.

Bigger numbers are better, so they always use them. If someone hasn't learned how to evaluate THOSE at this point...! Heh. Ain't no help to 'em.

Smaller divisions tend to only get mentioned when you can show yourself in better light than the competition though them. ;) THAT'S more marketing speak! Hehe...

Back