12.11 Beta: 33% perf in BF3, Supersample-AA in OpenGL

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by CarstenS, Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

Well, since no one seems to want to start it: Here it is, the

Catalyst 12.11 Beta-glory-thread.

For starters:
    http://www.pcgameshardware.de/AMD-R...atalyst-1211-Beta-Test-Battlefield-3-1031558/

+~33ish % in BF3
    + a few percent in Dirt Showdown

and the driver finally supports Supersample-AA in OpenGL, which basically takes away one of the last things to chose a Geforce over a Radeon for some people. Unfortunately, the LoD does not get automatically adjusted, so the resulting image is not as crisp as it could be, but we'd need something for X-Mas, don't we?

Oh, and the shadow-issue that crept up in Skyrim in 12.9 Beta has not been fixed. Fortunately, this only affects Tahiti-ASICs and can be circumvented for the time being by switching shadows to "high" (coming from "very high" where the bug occurs).

The driver has not yet been made publicly available, the newest version I've seen is "beta3" - the links floating around are for beta1, which has a rather nasty bug, that sometimes creeps up in BF3. The official site should be this one once it's up:
    http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst1211betadriver.aspx

More views on the driver:
    http://ht4u.net/reviews/2012/never_settle_amd_radeon-7000-serie_mit_neuen_spielen_und_treiber/
    http://pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Never-Settle-1211-Beta-Driver-Performance-Testing
    http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/grafikkarten/2012/bericht-amd-catalyst-12.11-beta/

^^ most recent is called "...beta4..."

A couple of days later: Beta8 is out
    http://techreport.com/news/23918/latest-catalysts-improve-performance-in-far-cry-3-linux#metal
    DL and release notes can be found as usual:
    http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst1211betadriver.aspx

#1 CarstenS, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2012
  2. I.S.T.

Veteran

AMD claimed on tech report at least that the big speedup on BF3 is limited to certain maps. In general it's closer to a 15% speedup or so.

3. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

4. Lightman

Veteran Subscriber

5. Davros

Legend

Well done Amd, with the SS in ogl, wonder why its taken so long though if nv have had it for ages?

6. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

12.11 fixed my GPU utilization issue I had with 12.8/12.9 on my 7870, definitely noticing some performance improvements with a few titles as well.

7. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

The driver download link has been updated with a newer release that fixes an issue for those wanting to play MoH:Warfighter under Crossfire.

8. lanek

Veteran

Is it called differently or both are the beta3 ? ( just for know if i need to redownload it )

9. karlotta

karlotta pifft
    Veteran

12.11b4, and it is a lighter package.

10. lanek

Veteran

Ok thanks, i have miss it in the release note .

Anyway, a little bug i have just notice:

Video setting > quality panel > 1st time after the install, when you use the cursor for go down to the lower part of the page, the higher part of the Catalyst control panel ( with Radeon logo ) is turning black, just change to another panel and go back, solve it ( and i have not get it then )

#10 lanek, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2012
  11. gongo

Regular

I feel lucky...no idle clock bug...no jumping vddc when using PT...overclock stays the same...3DM11 scores additional 1000 pts...BF3 mp runs >60fps at ultra settings minus the MSAA....what more can i ask?.. yeah...game begging for sleeping dogs...can you help Dave? :oops:

ps. i came onboard the Tahiti quite late, when from Cat12.4 to 12.8 to 12.11b...could that helped me to avoid all those bugs i saw?

12. Davros

Legend

13. lanek

Veteran

I dont know all i see is the result with 12.10 WHQL, cause 12.11 dont have this issue
    2x 7970 flashed to GHZ bios
    [​IMG]

14. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Yeah it seems to be tied to reference cards instead of custom solutions. Not sure why it required an article for a bug in a beta that they're aware of.

15. Davros

Legend

16. Otto Dafe

Regular

Anyone with Tahiti seeing funky looking shadows in BF3 with this driver? I only saw them from the air on Bandar Desert, they look quite similar to the buggy Skyrim shadows.

17. gongo

Regular

No idle clocks problem....HOWEVER..i got an unreported no-idle fan problem....i set custom fan profile with Trixx and it doesn't always apply....im getting either stuck high fan speed after i exited BF3 or my fan do not ramp up under load...please Dave help!

[​IMG]

18. Lightman

Veteran Subscriber

@gongo
    It works just fine for me with Afterburner in Win7 x64.
    No idle clock issue either.

19. gongo

Regular

How is Afterburner...? It looks so much more bloated than Trixx...hence i chose to avoid it.

So it seems the idle bug is from connecting via the DVI port of the GPU...probably some timing issue....no solution for the fan profile bug still. :(

Playing around with Tahiti...this chip loves memory bandwidth....every increase in memclk will increase my scores, not with Cayman which is very gpuclk dependent when people were saying AMD GPU had more memory bandwidth than necessary back then ...interesting as both ran my games at the same res 1920x1200p...same MSAA levels.

20. lanek

Veteran

Could be strange when we are speaking about this driver who particulary boost BF3, but in reality i have not reinstall BF3 yet. i have do some clean of games i was less playing some weeks ago..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.