11/29 Only! 16Gb Laptop ram @ Newegg: $200

Support four slots? Yes. Actually have four slots? I can probably count the number of laptop models that HAVE four slots for memory using my two hands. Nearly every laptop on the planet has two slots for memory, which is why 16Gb has been very hard to install on nearly every laptop until they started making these uber-density 8Gb chips (for both desktop and laptop platforms.)

Could be I'm spoiled by the Lenovo W5* series then. From what I know they should all have four slots.

Yes, the W500 series all has four slots. They also have dual harddrives and are HUGE ;) I don't believe Lenovo makes any other models with four slots; Alienware 17" and 18" models have four slots, Dell's Precision series in the 17" size has four slots, HP has a bigger DV model with four slots, and there are a few gaming-specific 17" models with four slots (Sager, Asus, et al.)

The epic majority of laptops in the wild only have two slots.

Sad update :(

Got sticks. Installed sticks. Memtest = FAIL

Removed one stick. Memtest = FAIL

Swapped for next stick. Memtest = FAIL

RMA'd both sticks to NewEgg.

Repeat the above, verbatim.

FFFFFFFFFFFFuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu :(

Looks like the firmware on my Y460 has some stupidity built in that b0rks 16Gb compatibility. Of course, calling Lenovo is worthless. I'm working through their support forums to see if anything is slightly more possible in that direction...

Back